Dell or Planar?

MightyGeekMan

Weaksauce
I'm trying to decide between the Dell 2709W and the Planar px2611w. Right now the main differences I see between these two are;

Planar is IPS, Dell is PVA
Planar costs $837.67, Dell costs $699 (limited time, otherwise $899)

Other than that I don't really see too much of a difference. I don't game so lag doesn't matter much. All I really care about is color accuracy for onscreen graphics work (I do very little print work so 'perfect' color isn't necessary). So, which would you recommend I get?

Im trying to make the same choice. Im not hearing good things about the Dell on input lag and other small things so i might go for the Planar.
FYI, antonline.com has the Planar for $784 but i dont know what policies they have.
Provantage.com has it for $765
And the Dell sale ends tomorrow morning.

If it comes down to money, get the Dell.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd get the Planar.

I just found the Planar at PCPowerShop for $686.40. I've never heard of them and I'm pretty sure that a deal this good is too good to be true, so I won't buy from them. Has anybody ever heard of them or ordered from them? ResellerRatings doesn't have them in their database and I can't seem to find any reviews of them on the web.

Yikes.....Scam alert. Buy from Provantage, they have a pretty good rep in this forum and get good reviews. . I bought from them and the shipping for my NEC was 30$ or so. I am sure it would be the same for the Planar.

JaguarSKX:
Thanks for the link. I'd buy from Provantage if it weren't for my two $25 coupons and 3% cash back card for buying from Amazon. That means that this time Amazon works out a bit cheaper for me. BTW, when's the next steak night? :p

pcpowershop.com

60 N Alameda St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

i can visit them tomorrow and see if they are legit or not

pcpowershop.com

60 N Alameda St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

i can visit them tomorrow and see if they are legit or not

It would be awesome if you could. Not for me specifically, but I'm sure other people would be interested in knowing if these guys were legit.

I was looking at the pcpowershop deal. Notice that if you google them, you only get pages mentioning the sale of the web address, and one forum where people ask if the site is legit.

They're not verisigned, or anything similar. I'm guessing that if you buy the pcpowershop product, a nice old/broken/misused 26" will show up at your door.

You mentioned that you do design for on-screen interfaces...

Be warned of wide gamut on the Planar! I'd get neither the Dell nor the Planar and save up for the NEC 2490 instead. Or find second-hand Dell 2007FP, 2007WFP, 2407WFP, etc. with an "L" at the end of the model # so you know that it's an IPS screen.

Well, after much deliberation and hand wringing, I finally placed my order for the Planar. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Once it arrives I'll come back and write of my experiences so anyone else who's interested in it can have just one more thing to read and confuse themselves with. :)

Back