Dell Optiplex 755 Upgrade (full tower)

schapman

Gawd
So snagged a desktop from work last week.

Optiplex 755 (managed to snag a full tower and none of that slim crap)

It's a pretty decent machine except the ATI HD2400 pro is a bit lacking in the power department for gaming.

I've got a friend with an extra 8800GT he said he'd lend me for a while and was wondering if I'd have any issues running it?

I haven't cracked it open by my first concern is the power supply dell puts in.. is it junk and would need an upgrade first?

Yes. There is no PCI-E connectors as I have a 755 for my work machine. Upgrade the PSU and you should be all set.

Just another quick question

Should a 500watt psu be fine? It looks like the stock full tower is a 305 watt based on the dell site specs.

500watt psu for around $60 + $179 for an ati 4850 and I'm a happy camper it looks like :)

I'm in the process of putting an 8800GTX in my Optiplex 755 for folding use...
I chose to buy a GPU power supply that fits in the spare 5.25
You can get a good one for less than $30.00...cheaper than a whole PSU, plus you don't have to mess up Dells nice wiring job..:)

Any chance you know if the psu in the full dell case is a standard size that can be swapped?

Looking at my local place (I'm in canada so no newegg yet (soon though)) it's cheaper to get a new psu than a gpu booster

Any chance you know if the psu in the full dell case is a standard size that can be swapped?

Looking at my local place (I'm in canada so no newegg yet (soon though)) it's cheaper to get a new psu than a gpu booster

As long as its the mini tower model and not the desktop model, Its a regular ATX PSU...at least mine is...

Back