• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell OpenManage - Replace 1TBs with 3TBs & Change RAID level @ Same Time

MySongRanHills

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
237
Got a Poweredge T320 with PERC H710P currently has (3) 1TB drives in RAID 5
Want to migrate to (4) 3TB RAID 6 (I understand the write penalty, but boss is cheap)

What is the process for this? I was thinking adding a 3TB drive and do a RAID 5 - RAID6 Migration. Then replace each of the 1TB drives one by one and afterward do an online capacity expansion.

Is the the best method/practice? I've managed various RAIDs before but have never used OpenManage before (usually use ZFS or RAID bios).
 
Are they all SATA or all SAS?

You plan about adding a 3TB and then Raid level conversion first is what I'd do. That'll be a week-long process and before you do ANYTHING, make sure you have a good backup. Depending on what you are using the T320 for, the 710p is a decent card and assuming a basic file & print role, you'll never notice the difference.
 
Are they all SATA or all SAS?

You plan about adding a 3TB and then Raid level conversion first is what I'd do.
This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Then replacing the 1TB disks 1 by 1. Then online capacity expansion. Then I'll reboot and change partition sizes.

I figured it would take a few hours, you really think it will take days/weeks?

Yes all are SATA
 
Back
Top