dell mobo question (HAHAHA)

Morpheus256

2[H]4U
ok, first off id normally never ask a question about dell, but we got one in on trade here at work, and were going to insted of just reselling it, use it as our new shop machine since ours is starting to show its age.

its an intel mobo on here, D865VP, google turns up nothing but it looks very close to the D865GLC.
regardless, since its an intel board, id like to finish the dell shit off, and throw on the intel bios.

tried the 865GLC windows flasher, no go said it wasnt an intel board.

so, how can i go about flash it with an intel bios? since i know it will need to be forced on

try googleing uniflash.exe

I've used it before to flash some older Dell boards to intel boards. I'm not sure if it will work with the latest boards, though.

yeah this is a fairly new board, dec 03-jan 04

id like to be able to recover from it though, if it goes boom lol

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about

1. Dell may manufacturer to motherboard but it sounds like an Intel chipset

2. Intel I believe has nothing to do with the BIOS neither does Dell(except Dell may decide whose ROM to use on their board)

So with all this said you can flash the BIOS, the utitlity that the guy earlier posted most likely will work...now you just have to find an updated BIOS version file..usually comes in a .BIN extension

check out dells site if you havent already...they probably wont have one but just check

after that i do not know good luck

when I left doing dell support, they used Asus brand proprietary P4 motherboards... you may want to take a look at what Asus has and see if anything is close.

its an INTEL desktop mobo, i know intel makes chipsets im not a nub, but they also make mobos, as i said its the D865VP, dell for quite some time has been using intel mobo's IIRC since p3's
dell AFAIK has never used asus but ive never seen every dell comp, HP has been using asus since P1's

its an intel board, i know this for a fact, if need be, ill take pictures.

the short is, i want to take dell's crappy bios off, and put intels on for the control, and not have the stupidified bios on there so the home user cant screw things up, plain and simple

(btw, ive had a long day at work.......customers)

IIRC Intel does in fact manufacturer motherboards for Dell. I have never heard of anyone successfully flashing a Dell BIOS with an Intel BIOS though. You may want to make sure you can get a replancement BIOS chip from Dell before you start forcing other BIOS' on there. They may not offer a replacement part or charge a pretty heavy fee. I'd venture to guess not many of their customers know what a BIOS is, much less how to replace a BIOS chip after a bad flash.

Just a thought...

well, im going to back off this plan....for now ;) untill i see some info on the net about this spacific mobo.

its just a shame, i cant control a damn'd thing in this bios, like timings or anything, its like mac meets pc :p

Heh, yep. I'm sitting here with a Dell Poweredge, talk about useless hunk of silicon...

Tried three differant programs to get decent info off the board from Windows, then I tried two from Linux. i couldn't so much as get a board temp sensor to show up.

Also, don't, I repeat, don't put any non-ECC RAM on the board if it requires ECC. I was specifically told that it did not take ECC, bought non-ECC, put it in second slot, and the crappy ECC RAM that came with it fried, fun stuff.

Basically this machine i just about useless, and I haven't even mentioned the noise that comes out of it...can't hear my other machines when i turn it on :p

Be wary about non-dell boards wih dell PSU's, heard a rumor somewhere about possible instant fry issues (though as I said this was a rumor and I don't have boards to possibly sacrifica teting that).

I would say just get someone to pay for the awesome Dell name, turn around and buy some decent hardware to replace the overblown door stop :)

actually u reminded me of one thing i noticed
this dell uses a standard psu, (acording to the colors) there is only 1 wire missing, the white one IIRC, damn'd if i could rmemeber that one does.

Originally posted by Morpheus256
actually u reminded me of one thing i noticed
this dell uses a standard psu, (acording to the colors) there is only 1 wire missing, the white one IIRC, damn'd if i could rmemeber that one does.
-5 V.

Only some legacy hardware uses the -5 V rail, so often it's not added, especially with mATX, FlexATX and similar PSUs.

ahhh right -5V, the stuff old 8bit isa used.
well, in that case, it would apear dell has abbandoned their "suppierior" wiring design then.

I recently replaced the 250W Dell PSU with an Enermax 470W and it works like no other..............the only thing i know its propreity is the power button connection.............

Go to this site (they can help you out a lot):

http://www.esupport.com/who/

http://www.esupport.com/biosupgrades/

This is a company that offers bios upgrades for ANY brand motherboard made in the past 15 years up to present that has an Award or Phoenix bios. These are the same people that make most all OEM bios programs for Asus, Abit, MSI, etc. They even offer bios upgrades beyond what any OEM would have posted on their site after a board ages. They will send you an actual ROM chip to replace yours with the custom programming in it. They offer refunds if it doesn't work out.

You can call & speak to a tech to see if they have something available for your board. They can tell you what kind of board or who it was manufactured from before it was re-branded as a Dell too. Tech will ask you for special serial # or bios codes from motherboard to determine information about your motherboard.

Forgot to let you know, But the bios upgrade will not be another DELL branded bios. Any bios purchased from them will have their eSupport logo regardless of what brand board you have but it can be changed using bios modding utilities like modbin.exe and cbrom.exe. etc etc.

Back