Dell made a 2015 19-inch 1920x1080 VA monitor - but it is VGA only ?!

If the specs listed for it are correct I wouldn't touch it for anything you plan on gaming on. The 25ms response time pairs up nicely with the VGA input because it basically seems like a TV without a tuner.

Sadly, there seems to be no market for good smaller (21.5" max) monitors.

It sucks for those of us who are near-sighted and don't want to use glasses, or just prefer a smaller monitor.

The closest thing to good with a *VA panel is the GW2255, which is actually quite good in terms of the panel (mine has 3300:1 measured contrast, and with a few tweaks in the OSD, near-perfect gamma) but we never get any step-up alternatives: only cheapass glossy plastic build, no ergonomic stand, poor OSD and buttons, few inputs, never going to get higher refresh rates or resolutions, etc. That Dell doesn't even have ovedrive... like ... WTF, seriously? They are basically mocking us saying: "here's a monitor you would like... but wait, FUCK YOU AHAHAH!"

I actually just want something for "wings" for a 27 inch

21 inch is just too large

if only they made that 19 inch model with dvi or hdmi

The Dell using some rather outdated Innolux SMVA panel M200HJJ-L20, they have much worse response times, lower color accuracy and more limited viewing angles than the AUO AMVA(+) panels.
The 21.5'' AUO panels like in the GW2255 are the next best thing but it appears they haven't been reviewed as well as the 24/27/32'' versions.
The old Samsung cPVA monitors have already died out.

Last edited:
That looks like a legacy device they would sell to like data centers and other places where they need something relatively small that can be put on a crash cart, rolled around, and temporarily connected to servers which likely only have VGA.

The 21.5'' AUO panels like in the GW2255 are the next best thing but it appears they haven't been reviewed as well as the 24/27/32'' versions.

Haven't been reviewed as well... where? I haven't seen any good reviews, and my own measurements with an i1 Display Pro puts the GW2255 ahead in performance of all the larger-size panels (though I can't evaluate responsiveness).

Haven't been reviewed as well... where? I haven't seen any good reviews, and my own measurements with an i1 Display Pro puts the GW2255 ahead in performance of all the larger-size panels (though I can't evaluate responsiveness).

I read only two reviews of the GW2265HM, they have been reviewed well but in some areas a little worse than the bigger ones.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/53396/benq-gw2265hm-review
http://qifo.de/test-benq-gw2265hm-monitor/
Color gamut is a bit lower than the bigger panels (a couple were tested 95%+), the german review complains about the color but I doubt they did any calibration.
AG coating seems to be pretty agressive at least in this model, usually VA are very light matte. Stated response times are +2ms higher too, but how much you get out of these mostly depends on how well implemented the overdrive is so I can't tell exactly. Contrast is on the same level and that's most important.
In any case they are certainly good monitors.

plenty of office boxes, dumb terminals with only VGA links and as mentioned servers..

I read only two reviews of the GW2265HM, they have been reviewed well but in some areas a little worse than the bigger ones.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/53396/benq-gw2265hm-review
http://qifo.de/test-benq-gw2265hm-monitor/
Color gamut is a bit lower than the bigger panels (a couple were tested 95%+), the german review complains about the color but I doubt they did any calibration.
AG coating seems to be pretty agressive at least in this model, usually VA are very light matte. Stated response times are +2ms higher too, but how much you get out of these mostly depends on how well implemented the overdrive is so I can't tell exactly. Contrast is on the same level and that's most important.
In any case they are certainly good monitors.

Hmm I don't see any measurements in those reviews?

The AG coating is indeed more aggressive than it should be, and sRGB coverage is a little off but not really very noticeable or bothersome - deltaE is under 5 and saturation is high. I honestly don't care so much about color accuracy as long as it's not terrible and saturation is decent; contrast is much much more important.

Here's my HCFR measurements file for the GW2255 for anyone interested. Settings are Standard mode, Contrast 50 (default), Gamma 1, Red 100 Green 99 Blue 99. No ICC profile calibration applied.

I didn't see any of the bigger panels get close to 3600:1 contrast

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fqzcX-yXbuLXNWRHpxMVBudTA/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Reducing Contrast to 44 reduces the Contrast ratio to 3100:1 but makes the gamma tracking basically perfect to 2.2 as opposed to 2.1 at 50, although this isn't necessarily preferable on a *VA panel IMO

Last edited:
The GW2255 is an awesome little monitor, I can't help but wonder why it gets so little attention. Great blacks for an LCD due to it being a va panel, no IPS glow, near non-existent input lag (confirmed by displaylag.com), small size, no worthless speakers bulking it up, and so on. I've had a LOT of monitors, and this one rocks.

If you want a small 60hz 1080p, get it. Also, it's very affordable.

The GW2255 is an awesome little monitor, I can't help but wonder why it gets so little attention. Great blacks for an LCD due to it being a va panel, no IPS glow, near non-existent input lag (confirmed by displaylag.com), small size, no worthless speakers bulking it up, and so on. I've had a LOT of monitors, and this one rocks.

If you want a small 60hz 1080p, get it. Also, it's very affordable.

Thanks for the tip. Glossy or matte?

How low does the brightness go and is their PWM at low brightness?

Hoping it touches $100 by the end of the year, I really need side monitors for developing.

Oh wow it is $104 on amazon. Why is newegg $130?

B&H says it is glossy? Do they mean just the frame?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=925973&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Yeah, it only says "PVA" in the specs but in tftcentral database it is identified as cPVA:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=LTM230HP01&select=panel
The NEC EX231Wp not in that list is also a cPVA, one of the last ones that came out (2011) but it has no overdrive at all.
just read the prad.de test of the EV2333, very impressive!!, seems to be the best cPVA out there...maybe you can still grab one somewhere. there are also some measurements on uk.hardware.info

btw. I said Samsung because its only them that manufacture PVA panels.
They still make some SPVA4 and mostly PVA+PSA panels for televisions (pretty good ones too) but they 100% concentrate on their own PLS matrix for the monitor market and for their VA monitors use panels probably from AUO, not Innolux. (They cooperate with AUO sometimes in TV market)

@vibe the GW2250 has a matte coating, strong anti-glare

Last edited:
too bad the response times (trailing) and lag are not so good. this seemed to be a general problem of the cPVA panels though, together with worse viewing angles than the older S-PVA (but way higher contrast)
and it still has the good old CCFL backlight system. how is looking at a black screen in dark room, from an angle? does it have the same degree of gamma shift (brightening blacks) as the new WLED backlit monitors? do the edges start to brighten from a normal or a bit closer viewing distance? I'm curious if the effect is weaker on a CCFL

too bad the response times (trailing) and lag are not so good. this seemed to be a general problem of the cPVA panels though, together with worse viewing angles than the older S-PVA (but way higher contrast)
and it still has the good old CCFL backlight system. how is looking at a black screen in dark room, from an angle? does it have the same degree of gamma shift (brightening blacks) as the new WLED backlit monitors? do the edges start to brighten from a normal or a bit closer viewing distance? I'm curious if the effect is weaker on a CCFL

I don't have those for comparison.
From pictures, it seems significantly less than fg2421.

Back