• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell M6600 SSD swap issues

sgrinavi

Meme Master
2FA
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
32,178
Hey all -

Not sure if it's better to post this here or in the lappy forum...

I currently have the samsung 830 (256 GB) drive for the primary and a OCZ 512 in the secondary. I'm trying to install a new Sandisk 480 in the primary slot, but am getting some goofy errors along the way.

I've got my system all up to date with both MaS and Dell updates and have flashed the latest firmware on the Sandisk 480.

I clone the samsung to the sandisk, install the sandisk, boot to safe mode, windows installs new drivers. I reboot and that's when the wierdness starts;


  • From the time the windows logo appears to log in could be 30 seconds or 5 minutes
  • It will sometimes hang on the windows logo
  • Sometimes I can move my mouse, but none of the buttons work and the keyboard is dead - although the back-light stays lit up
  • If I do finally get to log in it takes a very long time to complete the log-in -( connecting to the internet, starting the various background processes, etc)
  • If i get past that point I start to get 30 - 60 seconds hangs every 2 to 3 minutes . The system is not even close to being use-able.
  • I tried to sfc /scannow both before and after the disk clone / swap without any affect on the issue.
  • I tried updating iastor, but apparently I have the latest version already



If you take a look at the event viewer you can see where the errors are occurring - iastor.sys gives an error 9 (timeout)

Any ideas?
 
Have you tried putting your old 830 and see what happens? If you have the same issue, probably a bad motherboard. Call Dell and ask them to replace it for you.
 
Have you tried booting with just the Sandisk and leaving the OCZ disconnected? Also, is the secondary a second internal disk SATA port or are you using one of the optical drive replacement trays?
 
Back
Top