Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Product Manager Interview

HardOCP News

[H] News
LAPTOP Magazine has an interesting interview with the product manager for Dell’s Inspiron Mini 9. When asked why Dell chose to go the “SSD only” route for the Mini 9, this was the answer:

We are really focusing on high mobility and we are trying to lead here with the solid state disks. Because of there are no moving parts and quiet performance they are really ideal for this type of device. We have a 4, 8 and 16 GB option, but we also have partnered with Box.Net for Internet storage. We provide an entry account with expansion options. With this type of Cloud storage you can easily share your information between your Dell Inspiron Mini and your primary device

Meh, SSD only (and no ExpressCard slot) is what kills it for me. I'm looking at the 12" model or the Lenovo S10 now.

I just purchased several new HP 2230s laptops for the road warriors in the company. Several just came in yesterday. They're awesome!

12.1" widescreen, 2.54ghz T9400 Core2Duo, 3gb RAM (can go up to 8gb), 250gb drive, HDMI, ExpressCard/53, DVD writer.. all for $1480 plus tax.

Dell can keep their Mini 9. Tiny drives are the thing of the 90s.

I just purchased several new HP 2230s laptops for the road warriors in the company. Several just came in yesterday. They're awesome!

12.1" widescreen, 2.54ghz T9400 Core2Duo, 3gb RAM (can go up to 8gb), 250gb drive, HDMI, ExpressCard/53, DVD writer.. all for $1480 plus tax.

Dell can keep their Mini 9. Tiny drives are the thing of the 90s.

I think you are missing the point of the product. This is a $350 product.... you can't compare it to one you just spent $1500 on. Kudos to your purchase, but "tiny" drives aren't the "big" deal on this system. Look at the target audience.

Back