Dell Inspiron 6000 Issue - Keys 4, 5, r, t, f, g, v and b not working

zombielando

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to save this laptop and right now I'm scratching my head. There was no liquid spilled in the computer, no sudden jolts or anything like that. Just one day literally the laptop keys 4, 5, r, t, f, g, v, and b suddenly stopped working.

What I know it isn't:
1.) Not an operating system problem so not software related.
2.) Not a keyboard problem - I had an identical Inspiron 6k so took off the keyboard and tried it with the dead keys laptop and problem persists.
3.) Not a general problem with those specific keys being typed as a USB keyboard works fine with the laptop.

I've cleaned the motherboard thoroughly and that didn't help either. Given that it is two entire columns of keys, I figure it is something on the motherboard causing it but I just don't know).

Does anyone have any idea what part of the motherboard itself could be failing or causing this problem to exist? I appreciate any help or insight anyone has on it.

Do the keys have an alternate function? I had a similar issue with an emachine years ago, and I had toggles some alternate key layout for some of the keys.

Do the keys have an alternate function? I had a similar issue with an emachine years ago, and I had toggles some alternate key layout for some of the keys.

No but thank you for the suggestion. It's the two entire rows of keys, which is really strange and seems to be related to the motherboard so something is failing on it but not sure what.

I think I may have found the problem - After going over the motherboard with magnifying glass lol. The part looks like it has "blown" - there are a couple small holes in it. Forgive my noob-ness, does anyone know what this part is called? A resistor?

tgNsLOw.jpg

Back