Dell Inspiron 1520 + Windows 7 x64 + drivers

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
My girlfriend has an Inspiron 1520 from late 2008 that came with Vista. Over the past two years, it was getting really sluggish. It's not that powerful to begin with. I decided it was best to backup her data and start fresh again. I kept Dell's restore partition, but I decided to install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Everything was fine, except graphics drivers. I tried a million different things, automatic installs, manual installs, but nothing would take.

So she doesn't have Aero. I didn't think it was a big deal, and, until today, it wasn't. Now she needs some form of movie editing software for tomorrow for grad school. Big problem. I downloaded Windows Live Essentials and installed Windows Movie Maker, but WMM won't run on her laptop because it doesn't think it meets the minimum (graphics) requirements. And it probably doesn't since the graphics drivers aren't updated.

Does anyone know of a for-sure driver package that'll work on the 1520? The only other thing I can think of is to try to install earlier versions of Movie Maker, but I'm not confident that'll get around the graphics issue. She's currently bombarded with homework, so I can't take her laptop right now. Maybe after she goes to bed.

Otherwise I may have to wipe Windows 7 and restore Vista from the restore partition.

If your 1520 runs the same GFX my 1521(which is just the AMD version of the 1520), it is an ATI X1270, and the driver is included in the standard Catalyst Control Center download

Back