Dell GX280 and Server 2008 R2

I have a bunch of GX280 SFF's laying around and I want to host a rather complex file serve so I'm interested in running server 2008 R2 (which I have a site license for). Seeing as the R2 is a 64-bit only OS, and all of the GX280's came with P4 5x0's (32 bit), I'm noticing that it won't install.
So my question is this, does anybody see a reason why R2 won't install if I upgrade the CPU to a 5x1 (64bit) or 6x0 (64bit 2MB cache)? Both of which are supported in the GX280 with a bios update.
I figure this makes for a great inexpensive server. Thoughts? I also have Server 2008 SP2 32-bit but I like the fact that the R2 was based on the Windows 7 kernel and currently the GX280's are running great with 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise :)

Thanks in advance!!!

Server 2008 R2 requires a 1.4GHz x64 processor in order to run, but you should be good to go even with a Pentium 5x1/6x1.

Side Note: you might want to check the capacitors on those GX280s before putting them into service since they're prone to bulging and leakage.

Thanks. I did look into it and came to the same conclusion. Bought new used stock, a 541 and a 650 from geeks.com. We'll see how it turns out. The caps look fine but I don't know about the power supplies. I have 3 of the SFF and 2 of the mid sized chassis, they are identical except for the optical drive size and power supply.
Now to learn how to deploy Windows 7 images from them... so many tools, so many articles, ugh.

Server 2008 R2 requires a 1.4GHz x64 processor in order to run, but you should be good to go even with a Pentium 5x1/6x1.

Side Note: you might want to check the capacitors on those GX280s before putting them into service since they're prone to bulging and leakage.

So far at my work anything made after a gx270 has been fine for us (maybe we are lucky?), we have tons of gx240s though with 10+ leaking caps in them. Some how some of them still run.

Back