Dell Gains in Server Market

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Register, quoting numbers from the research firm Gartner, says that global shipments of servers are up 12.2%. Looking at the charts provided, it looks like Dell is gaining on the other big players in the server market, HP and IBM. I have a hard time arguing with those numbers…after all we just bought a handful of Dell servers ourselves recently.

Dell had a massive 24.2 per cent gain in shipments year-over-year for its 24.7 per cent piece of the pie. IBM grew 4.7 per cent to hold 13.2 per cent of the global market. Sun grew 1.6 per cent from Q2 2007 for its 4.1 per cent total share, and Fujitsu grew 3.3 per cent for 2.6 per cent of global shipments.

So Steve could you, with your infinite wisdom, give your loyal readers some insite as to why Hardocp went with Dell vs the competition.

We switched from HP to Dell for almost everything at the college I work at...

so far seems alright....one biggest complaint is a quad-core xeon i configured for our library's multimedia machines came with the heatsink not seated properly (we bought 11 of these and only this one had a issue)....it wasn't bouncing around inside the case because the hard drive was mounted right above it...buuuut not a single screw was put into the heatsink and the ONLY reason it was on was because of the hard drive mount....

other than that dell seems alright so far....we've bought hundreds of laptops and desktops (we're a "small" campus but have at least 2000 pc's on campus...more if you want to include all the old ones still kicking around that need to be disposed of!), plus our main server is a big ass dell with a lot of our hp servers getting the virtualized treatment.....it's amazing what you can do with that stuff!

I have worked for Gateway, HP, and now CDW and I have to say (even though I can't sell Dell) servers are the one thing that Dell seems to get right. With the exception of their blade chassis, I would recomend them to anyone.

I have worked for Gateway, HP, and now CDW and I have to say (even though I can't sell Dell) servers are the one thing that Dell seems to get right. With the exception of their blade chassis, I would recomend them to anyone.
As far as blade chassis goes, HP is awesome. We've sold about 6 or so c7000 blade chassis to one of our clients over the past 2 years. Couple a few of these fully-populated chassis with an 80+ TB HP SAN and HP VirtualConnect technology, plus plenty of VMWare Infrastructure licenses, and it's the perfect marriage for virtualization.

Have you ever used a Dell blade chassis? Have you used an HP one? Same thing.

Agree with you on the C7000-series. We currently have 4 (and a 5th on the way) running 64 HP BL460 blades with VMware Infrastructure 3. Absolutely love them.

Running 4 Dell PowerEdge 2950's for our test and prod (ESX 3.5) and they're running great.

We also have one of Dell's automatic backup libraries devices which works awesome.

I only purchase Dell PowerEdge servers in my company, but only because I've had nothing but good experience with them, and I find their OpenManage software to be very intuitive.

I only buy HP when it comes to Business Notebooks though, for the same reason as Dell: I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them.

I love my HP Compaq 6710b Business Notebook and all my PowerEdges.

my company is generally an HP shop. we did a migration where the incoming servers were Dells...since I'm the actual installer for these guys. I hated them due to their irritating rail arms. Why are they so difficult (compared to HPs). they aren't so bad when they are waist high or lower, but above that, I feel like I need a 2nd person to help hold in case I can't get one of the studs out of the J-slot. But that's just my opinion. I don't do any software...just hardware installs, retirements, and relocations. HP iLO is also very nice, in terms of hardware.

Another Dell convert here. We are using them exclusively now in my group: Laptops = Latitude, Desktops = Optiplex, Servers = PowerEdge. Dell has really stepped up their game recently in the business market (can't, however, say the same for the home market :().

I work for the largest dedicated hosting provider in the world, and Dell has the upper hand when it comes to cost/performance/support ratio. However, when it comes to enterprise solutions I see more IBM (blades), HP (blades), Sun servers and EMC arrays.

Dell is just making some ridiculously good deals right now. We're adding three decked out R900's and will be selling alot of Dell to customers. :)

I work for the largest dedicated hosting provider in the world, and Dell has the upper hand when it comes to cost/performance/support ratio. However, when it comes to enterprise solutions I see more IBM (blades), HP (blades), Sun servers and EMC arrays.

EMC basically is Dell... they have a pretty good alliance and support each others products.

As for the blades comment, expect to see Dell smash that segment with thier new blade chassis (basically it's the HP C7000)

EMC basically is Dell... they have a pretty good alliance and support each others products.

As for the blades comment, expect to see Dell smash that segment with thier new blade chassis (basically it's the HP C7000)

And I am a fan of HP C7000's; had to build out one, test and helped with the setup on one last week.

Back