*^)*#&%#@ Dell.. Fubared pixels... Help?

Raines8416

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I woke up the other morning, turned my computer on and there was a 1.5 inch line running down the middle with flashing pixels. I adjusted my video settings and whatnot, and it wouldnt go away. Finally, out of the blue it disappeared.

Well, it came back. And it went. Came. Went. it did this a lot.

FInally got home from work today to find this...

photo-12.jpg

Not only is it now twice as thick, its solid colors. Before it just changed a buynch of the pixels to sort of inverted colors.

Called up dell, and guess what!? My monitor is 3 months out of warrenty. Their advice: "Buy a new monitor".

Any other ideas?

I would try a different DVI port or try swapping out cables. Maybe if you can switch to analog to see if that does anything.

Called up dell, and guess what!? My monitor is 3 months out of warrenty. Their advice: "Buy a new monitor".

Don't complain about them enforcing their warranty policy, anyways, good luck.

I would try a different DVI port or try swapping out cables. Maybe if you can switch to analog to see if that does anything.

Don't complain about them enforcing their warranty policy, anyways, good luck.

No, its always just funny how things seem to die shortly after the warranty expires. Not to mention the Ultrasharps are supposed to be the highest grade.

And yes, tried a different port on the video card, and even hooked up other things to the different ports on the monitor. Xbox to composite for example. Same problem.

It also covers the OSD and everything. If I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, its fine for about 2 seconds, then the lines form again.

That's bizzare.

I think Dell should helped you, but one thing is the marketing theory and another the reality.

What about factory reset? Probably some crap in the electronics :-(

I did some googling. Other people have run into the same problem with this monitor, in the same exact spot. Something about a controller on the top that controls a certain number of columns of pixels, another said it was the cable that connects the LCD panel to the rest of the electronics. Again, also found it humorous that the people were reporting that Dell gladly replaced theirs. I understand theirs was still under warrenty. Again though, it sucks that they will fix the same problem for someone else.

Again, also found it humorous that the people were reporting that Dell gladly replaced theirs. I understand theirs was still under warrenty. Again though, it sucks that they will fix the same problem for someone else.
Actually, You don't understand because you're still complaining about it. Next time get the extended warranty or just don't buy a dell lcd anymore.

Here's some advice, call again and try your luck with another dell rep.

GL.

try twisting and twirling the cable, yeah i know sounds weird, but i had a similar problem with an old monitor and by doing so, the image got fixed

My 2707WFP started to die after warranty too, 5 mini dark spots and one huge part of the bottom lefthand corner is starting to dim getting darker and darker. Don't really know what the problem is, probably going to have to swallow the wasted $900 and buy another monitor sooner or later. I don't know if I'd buy another Dell monitor now unless I got some kinda extended warranty.

I wouldn't really consider a 3 year and 3 month old monitor to be ancient. To be fair, the production sticker on the back does say December 2004.

Pretty ancient in monitor years. Dec 2004 was 3 and a half years ago, I rarely have a computer monitor last that long.

Warranty is as long as I expect something to last.

I would look at this as a chance to take it apart. I doubt it is worth paying to fix.

Try VGA cable, just on an off chance the DVI path is toast.

Next you can try the time honored pick it up and drop to 3" inches to rattle the potential loose connections.

Next you can take it apart and see if you can reseat the ribbon connections.

If none of that works turn it on with an interesting wallpaper and shoot it with a pellet gun. Take pictures of the results. :)

Back