Dell Firmware Update

Last year (2022) I bought a Dell 4K UHD Gaming Monitor - G3223Q.

I have never updated the firmware but I think I should. However I've read that updating the firmware downgrades the image quality. And that Dell does not keep copies of previous firmware files for their monitors. So I'm on the fence about upgrading.

Any suggestions?

Why do you think you should upgrade the firmware?

If there's no specific change you're looking for, and the monitor works, I don't see why you should upgrade the firmware.

I suppose you're right. I just thought if there's an update available then I should install the update. But I have no problems with my monitor and it looks amazing.

So I guess if it aint broke don't fix it applies here? I mean don't people update to the latest firmware just so it's current?

I suppose you're right. I just thought if there's an update available then I should install the update. But I have no problems with my monitor and it looks amazing.

So I guess if it aint broke don't fix it applies here? I mean don't people update to the latest firmware just so it's current?

People do a lot of things for the wrong reasons, why should you? :D

Any software change is worth considering the pros and cons. If Dell told you what was in the firmware updates, you could do that a lot easier. As it is, it's seems to work fine with unknown brokenness vs could be broken in different ways that might bother you (and you say people complain about a decrease in quality). Seems like an easy one to leave alone.

For stuff on a network, it can be different, there's benefits to being on the latest version just for latest version sake there, because most security research will be against latest version, so you get the benefit of public research most if you're running those versions (and update for a good reason when there's a fixed vulnerability). But monitors aren't networked, so you can just leave them be.

Back