Dell "E" Netbook release?

galdoes16

Gawd
Does anyone know when the Dell Netbook is coming out? I heard that it was supposed to be this month, but I haven't seen anything. I'm really hoping that it will still be $299 too.

I've read things saying they'll announce it next week, release it next week, next month etc...

I think the most common rumor says it will be out by the end of the month, but not necessarily in the United States.

Its supposed to be August, that is really all that is known.

But people have been saying August for months, so I would assume that it is indeed sometime this month.

That $299 piece looked awesome.

Its supposed to be August, that is really all that is known.

But people have been saying August for months, so I would assume that it is indeed sometime this month.

That $299 piece looked awesome.

Yeah, until you tack on the upgrades you need to make it into a worthwhile purchase, and you'll probably be well past the $500 mark. :(

Yeah, until you tack on the upgrades you need to make it into a worthwhile purchase, and you'll probably be well past the $500 mark. :(

Not everyone needs all the upgrades. There are actually people out there that don't need a gaming notebook.

I was pretty happy with the basic specs actually, a perfect Email/Web device for taking on the road.

I already have a T61 with all the bells and whistles for when I need to do my photo editing and such on the road (not gaming, I personally think gaming and laptop do not go together at all...)

This is a netbook... you know, a tiny laptop with a low voltage processor, a miniscule SSD or HDD, very little RAM and a small, fairly low resolution screen tuned for long battery life. It's not meant to do very much aside from look sort of neat and let you surf the web when you care to.

The only upgrades possible would be a larger HDD or SSD, more RAM, or a larger/higher capacity battery, since the screen is a given and the 1.6Ghz Atom processor is the only one available. Given its intended usage and form factor, I doubt anything but the high capacity battery would be necessary -- if you want more RAM you can pick up a 2GB stick for ~$30 shipped and install it yourself. This is [H] after all -- I think we can all handle taking the bottom panel off and finding the open RAM slot.

Unfortunately, I don't believe a larger capacity battery will even be available at launch, so you're up to... $330 (plus a bit for shipping and possibly tax depending where you live) total with 2.5GB of RAM. Call it $350. Still $150 shy of $500.

Why play games on such a tiny screen? I never understood the need for gaming laptops.

There should be an announcement regarding the Dell E and other devices on the 12th.

edit: it's actually the 12th I can't type or think straight.

hahahaha

No, enjoy the 2 hour battery life and be eternally tethered to the power socket.

It should be about 3-5hrs actually, better than most normal laptops out there.

Unlike some of the other netbooks, the Dell E looked like it was going to have a decent size battery and battery life.

So why knock it before you even know about it or before it is even released?

Move along troll......

Per our Dell rep, we can start ordering tomorrow. We are getting specs sometime today on our Premier website.

what are the chances of having one in my hands by Sept 1st for my trip to Japan? If it doesnt come out soon I'll be forced to buy a overpriced Asus eee 901.

Kinda slim I would think, as even once they announce it the order process usually takes awhile on a new release.

I would say October 1st as a more realistic time line. I mean the new Lenovo's are going to take at least a month or so to get out, so you know the Dells will take as long.

Well as of today we can order them through Premier. However the first ship date I have for a product is 9/3/08. I asked my rep how realistic this is and if we might get a few units sooner, will update as I get answers.

I'm not seeing the 'netbooks'. The lowest E I see is the E5400 (now that could get confusing) for $788 w/ 14.1" screen. Anyone find the little guys? Sent an email asking my rep but she's not sure as those are going through Dell Home.

Nope no where that I can see. I was really hopeing to get one before I had to leave too. :(
$599 for a 901 is way too much

Nope no where that I can see. I was really hopeing to get one before I had to leave too. :(
$599 for a 901 is way too much

The Acer Aspire One may be your best bet if you need it quick. $380 shipped at Amazon.com and you can apply for an Amazon.com credit card for $30 off if you don't have one already, so $350 shipped. Pick up an 8GB SDHC card for $20 or so and you've got a reasonable 16GB of storage for $370 total. (16GB cards are ~$50) You can also get the blue version, and possibly others, same price.

Not too bad, and certainly beats the 901 for value at $600 for the 20GB version. I'd prefer an E netbook to the Acer (I think it's much more likely we'll see an expanded battery for it, which is a big deal for me -- I want run time) but if you need it now...

EDIT: Amazon.com isn't doing the $30 off with a credit card thing at the moment, but Buy.com is and they have the same $380 shipped price for the 8GB SSD version, and $400 for the 120GB HDD version (though I don't think it's actually available yet...)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 12.1" version would be interesting, might be worth it if it's under 1k and still ~1 kg.

As for the netbook, I hope they don't postpone it too long, the aspire one's looking better and better (especially as a toy to hold me over till the next round of netbooks).

dont the aspires have crappy battery life? I was wanting 5 hour battery life minimum.

dont the aspires have crappy battery life? I was wanting 5 hour battery life minimum.

That's not going to happen with the Dell E either -- both are 3 cell designs, same as the MSI Wind. 2.5 hours is the top end for usable battery life (without turning features off and screen brightness to near nothing) with a 3 cell in these machines.

Currently the only machine with a confirmed planned battery upgrade in the works is the Wind... and that starts at $450, a full $100 less than you can get the Aspire One or Dell E (supposedly) for, and comes with a 3 cell, so you're adding $75-125 (guessing) for the 6 cell once it's available on top of that.

3 cell batteries? They have 3-6-9 and even a 12 on some options. I cant remember which model but one boasts 19 hours of battery. Am I confused by your post?

3 cell batteries? They have 3-6-9 and even a 12 on some options. I cant remember which model but one boasts 19 hours of battery. Am I confused by your post?

This thread isn't about the entire E series, but the E netbook which is supposed to be called simply the "Dell E". It will be a $300 (reportedly) with a 9" screen and 1.6Ghz Atom processor in the same vein as the Acer Aspire One, Eepc 901, MSI Wind and others.

Ive been doing some intensive searching in the netbook area myself lately.

The Acer Aspire One Windows XP version is the Best $400 netbook out there, and is actually a damn good deal. 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HDD, 1.6Ghz atom, more then decent 8.9" screen and good overall build quality. The problem is the battery. 2 hours on average usage.

Beyond the Aspire One the Eee PC 1000H is the next best deal. Pretty much the same as the Aspire One above but a larger screen and much better battery (7.5 hours). Not a bad deal at $550.

Beyond that everything else seems like a ripoff.

Once I've got a bit higher paying job I'll probably get a 1000H. The combination of larger screen and nice battery life is what I'm really looking for... or better yet, Dell will come out with something very similar for $100 less with the E Slim. Here's hoping.

I got an eee 701 for $400 right when they came out. Its been good to me, but I'm now tempted to sell it for whatever I can get and move up to the 1000 or 1000H.

The batteries are important guys.... keep in mind that Asus doens't use these cheapo 3-cell batteries in their netbooks.

There is a rumored release date of August 22nd. Anyone have a dell rep they can pester on this issue?

I'm also curious as to how long it will take to ship from that date. I have my mind half set on an aspire one, but I can wait a week to see what dell has to offer.

i have asked my Dell rep every week so far, hasn't given me any formal date, he doesn't know.

As far as i can tell the Dell doesnt ship with a standard HDD and uses small SSD's instead. I want to put my music on the thing as a sort of informal boom box, so that doesnt fly with me.

As far as i can tell the Dell doesnt ship with a standard HDD and uses small SSD's instead. I want to put my music on the thing as a sort of informal boom box, so that doesnt fly with me.

8gb SDHC cards aren't too expensive...

or you can get the hard drive model which i'm sure they'll have

Back