Dell Dimension 9200 (XPS 410) PSU Fried

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (XPS 410) and due to a recent storm one the power lines connecting to my house fell off and all heavy electricity sucking appliances didn't work (washer, dryer).

My dad tried turning on the dryer and every time he did it, the energy levels in the house would spike, and he tried this about 6 or 10 times.

Because of this, I think my surge protector got fried and when I was using my desktop, I heard a LOUD popping sound and then I smelled something funny. It smelled kind of metal-y and toxic, like some batteries going wrong or something.

I immediately turned off my computer, but now it does not start.

It sounds like my PSU is fried, but I have a few questions. My dad kinda knows electricity, but he is not the type to help his son. He wants me to do everything on my own, maybe he had a hard life or something (I think he did). Um, so is there a possibility a fuse just blew and I can replace that instead of just replacing the whole PSU?

Also, because it is a Dell, if I have to replace the whole unit, how will I find one that is compatible without getting ripped off.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Any recent Dell PSU uses the standard pinouts on all connectors so you can get just about any PSU you want. Any good quality PSU from 300 watts on up should be more than enough for your system.

Any recent Dell PSU uses the standard pinouts on all connectors so you can get just about any PSU you want. Any good quality PSU from 300 watts on up should be more than enough for your system.

its an XPS i think 300w is a lowball estimate. Also the XPSes usually have very propreitary powersupplys.

i had an xps 400 that used a standard pinout on the psu. the 410 should also :) the psu is kinda smaller though, but does bolt right in

MMk,if it was a power surge it might be okay... but from what your saying, im guess the thing is fried... If it was powerful enough to go through your Main panel for your house to get the dryer and washer... your little surge protector wont do anything. Im betting the little fuse in the power supply didnt even save much... If you have any spare parts around or house, or a computer you can use to test it, switch out some parts. But im betting most of it is fried.
P.S. i just had the power supply go on my 9100 and i just replaced it with the first cheap 500wat i found on newegg... nothing special

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to shell out $84.99 in this dying economy.

I was going to mention that my Dell is a BTX layout, but it seems that this is still compatible. Thanks guy for the quick answer to my seemingly complex problem!!

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to shell out $84.99 in this dying economy.

I was going to mention that my Dell is a BTX layout, but it seems that this is still compatible. Thanks guy for the quick answer to my seemingly complex problem!!
An excellent & very safe choice!:)

MMk,if it was a power surge it might be okay... but from what your saying, im guess the thing is fried... If it was powerful enough to go through your Main panel for your house to get the dryer and washer... your little surge protector wont do anything. Im betting the little fuse in the power supply didnt even save much... If you have any spare parts around or house, or a computer you can use to test it, switch out some parts. But im betting most of it is fried.
P.S. i just had the power supply go on my 9100 and i just replaced it with the first cheap 500wat i found on newegg... nothing special

Do you know if there is an alternative to the $80 power supply from PPC? What do I look for?

Dell uses a slightly taller design for their power supplies, other than having a gap in the case it will work fine.

Back