Dell Computer / WinXP preinstalled / want to reinstall

ScYcS

2[H]4U
I got a Dell computer on teh cheap used for my wife. It has a bad mobo and i have spare (non dell) lying around, so no problem there. Problem is: The Dell OEM version of Windows XP. Can i install the Windows XP from Dell or is it bound to the Dell mobo? I haven't tried this yet since i don't have the computer here yet, but would like to start asap when i get it....anyone know?

You should be able to.. MS considers an OEM copy of xp to be tied to the original mobo.. But let's you swap mobos if the old one fried..

Tip.. You have a Dell.. Research your model and find out if the PSU in your Dell is proprietary... Or you could end up having problems with your new mobo...

Bloatware and proprietary parts are prolly my only legitemate gripes against Dell....

As long as you can mount the mb in the case ok and the power supply can run it you should be fine. If you have an oem xp disk that will take the cd key off the side of the machine use it. You will need to call ms to activate the machine but they will do it. If you have a dell xp disk you will still need to call as it will not auto activate but they still should do it.

Back