Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Booo I got a PM330.. PVA :( Called Dell earlier for a replacement, which was a painless experience. My luck sucks since it seems majority of the December 2006 units were SIPS :(

Plus there is awful gradient banding going on.

Yeah it does. Its very disappointing. Turn you head just a little and you could literally be looking at a different color. Which was is the more accurate anyway? Straight on or to the side. I have powerstrip and trying to set the Gamma on this thing is no fun either. Using the guides on the web make it way to bright so I am pretty much on my own with how it should be.

My PM330 shipped from Nashville, TN.

I think the last few guys got really lucky, they may have been stragglers. I think they have made a full switch to PVA. I dont know about you guys but on the 20th day, mine is going to keep going back.

Thanks Synergy for the return/exchange tips. If I don't have any dead pixels I'm just going to tell them that my friend has the same model and we compared and mine look really washed-out compared to his, and this is true since my friend does have a 2007WFP S-IPS.

JHFerry, I'm trying to keep my head up. Today we had two PVAs and one S-IPS person post in this thread. I don't think S-IPS are completely dead...yet. Even if I get one S-IPS, I'll be happy because I will know they are out there.

Either way, I think this is fscking ridiculous that we have to jump through hoops just to get a DECENT non-PVA, non-TN LCD (without spending $650). The demand is clearly there so companies need to get a clue and build them instead of cheaping out. The fact that we are paying $359 + tax for these things when 22" are selling for less on Newegg proves that we will pay for quality. Heck, some people are spending 24"+ prices for the NEC display, but that's too much for me. Dell is going to spend more in shipping back and forth, and in lost sales from people who aren't as patient as we are, than they are if they'd just build them all S-IPS in the first place and keep their reputation.

I'm not gonna get much sleep tonight, lol.

Just got mine... shipped from Patrick, NV. Made in Mexico. A03.... PM330 ... PVA. It's going back tomorrow.

I used one of the reference images posted earlier and I can see contrast shifting very easily.

Well.. they're both here...they're both RT803 S-IPS... they both have that characteristic purplish hue when you look at it from the side... and they are both incredible :D

Keep on trying for those S-IPS screens if you haven't gotten one. You WILL get one and it WILL be worth it. :cool:

My only complaint, and this isn't really the monitor's fault, is that while DVI mode looks great, VGA mode looks terrible. I'll need to get a dual DVI card just to make use of these puppies.

Well.. they're both here...they're both RT803 S-IPS... they both have that characteristic purplish hue when you look at it from the side... and they are both incredible :D

Keep on trying for those S-IPS screens if you haven't gotten one. You WILL get one and it WILL be worth it. :cool:

My only complaint, and this isn't really the monitor's fault, is that while DVI mode looks great, VGA mode looks terrible. I'll need to get a dual DVI card just to make use of these puppies.

Can you tell me the following:

Day you placed the order
Where it was made (outside the box)
If you can, where it was shipped from.

Thanks!

I just took delivery of a 2007FP. Says its an A03 made in January 2007. Checked the hidden menu thing and its showing HN210.

I'm using VGA right now and haven't really adjusted it at all (and it's using the settings I had for my laptop's display in the ATi control panel and I know that it's not setup good for color accuracy) and ran Gradlin and banding is minimal if showing up at all.

I have to say I'm very pleased as I ran dead pixel buddy as well and none showed up.

I was somewhat concerned as this is actually a refurb, but looks like it turned out great and I saved quite a bit of money (~ $100).

Bought it on I think sunday night and it was shipped from Tennessee and Made in Mexico.

I placed the order at around midnight on the 6th. UPS notified me on the 7th that they had received the package, and it arrived today. The label on the package lists Austin, TX as the return address but UPS tracking says it was shipped from Tennessee.

The package says it is revision A03 made in Mexico.

Good luck to everybody and keep hanging on because Dell still has S-IPS displays, apparently.

This is hysterical,

Im on the phone with Dell. I told the CSR about the banding problem and I want to try a third one. he tries to talk me into just returning it and waiting for a refund, then buying it again. I told him that sound complicated and why couldnt he just do the exchange? He's telling me that would take like 15 minutes and I told him then maybe you guys should stop switching panels and not telling anyone...

Still on hold.

Wow, what a mess. They are giving me a hard time.

The first guy who hung up got me all the way to RMA. The second guy told me that his particular dept couldnt do monitors. The next lady I have keeps putting me on hold because the panel I have is a replacement.

I wonder If they are catching on here a little...

All this wasted effort, all this wasted time and money... and Dell still won't just sell pure S-IPS batches and pure PVA batches. When the next best alternative is a $600 unit, there's definitely a profit to be made. But nope. :rolleyes:

Well I decided (after she approved the switch) to be honest and tell her what the issue is, panel codes and everything. I told her one side of my screen is one color and one is another. (im exaggerating a bit but hey, im not the one switching panels)

I told her If I get another pm330 I returning it because they are all in the same warehouse and they are all bad. I asked her to put in the comments to open the box to check the panel If they could. She said they might due to the second exchange. I know she doesnt work anywhere near the warehouse of course but lets see.

Check this:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=73410#M73410
Response time: 6ms (grey to grey) 16ms (black to white)
Panel type: S-IPS, S-PVA
Current revision: A04

Well, I will believe it when someone actually gets a 2407 S-IPS, there have been none reported in the wild yet, they have all been PVA so far. It might be listed as a possible in Dell specs in that they can use either, but they have always been PVA. Probably just dell standard operating procedure. Make the feature sheet for anything that will match the specs.

Meh, spec sheets on an LCD are about as useful as a biodegradable house plant. Manufacturers can write down pretty much anything they'd like and it doesn't mean a thing. Just like those "10 megapixel" cameras for $50 on eBay, or whatever.

Either way, if it turns out to be true, this new lottery seems like a good lottery, since there really are no 24" S-IPS displays until now. Too bad Dell (and their atrocious customer service policies) can't board the clue train and keep their UltraSharp line S-IPS only and relegate the S-PVA junk to the E series.

Haven't been here since last April when I was researching the 2007WFP and came upon the thread about the banding issue, decided to keep the 2007 anyways since the banding didn't really bother me.

Fast foward to now when my 2007 would just stay at a black screen. Since I hate waiting and talking on the phone I just emailed customer service with my problem, got a response back asking for the 2007's serial # and my shipping address and today I got the replacement 2007. I didn't know now the 2007's have a new problem lol with the 2 different panels but luckily the one I got shows this V1B18 RT803. So I got the S-IPS right? Phew!!!! I skimmed through alot of this thread and it seems alot of people that posted that they got their 2007 made in Mexico have the good panel. Mines made in Mexico A03 January 2007.

Well good luck to the ones that are still waiting for their 2007's.

man it seems the Dell 2007 is the only 20" WS panel for a haft way decent price is an S-IPS panel

So far how many S-ISP's have we seen? I really need an LCD and want to pull the trigger on this one asap.

Hi fellow 2007 lottery participants,

I have dubiously and unwittingly joined your ranks as of yesterday: (

I bought a brand spanking new Vista based Dimension 9200 PC with 2.13Ghz Core Duo, 2Gigs, etc...blah blah.....and or course who could pass over the 2007wfp?! Not me...

THEN I started checking around to get more info - had already done some spec checking around previous and read some great reviews.

I just have a feeling - based on the trends here for the past few weeks - that I'm in a stream of S-IPS 200'7's flowing right now. I'm also Irish and pretty damn lucky most of the time so I "feel" like I'll be blessed by the God's of Dell and get the prize we all seek. It's so SAD that I'll need to use my ancestral LUCK in buying a new PC and monitor!!!

I live in the SF bay area of California. I'll be a good d00d and report my findings (good or bad) here when I get it. Ordered yesterday, ships 2/14(Valentines DAY!) and with 2 day shipping (isn't that supposed to help somehow?!) I'll get it sometime before or on the 16th.

Any predictions? Bets?

Shootist

Well. I got my refurb. RT803. No dead or stuck pixels, gradients are super smooth. Very very pleased.

So is it pretty much guaranteed that the RT803 is an S-IPS.

As a note, mine is a refurbished and it stickered as an A02, It was an A00. IT is in immaculate condition as well. Need to tweak it, it seems a bit bright right now.

If I can provide any other details, just let me know.

It's curious to see that the people who've ordered from Samsclub have all gotten S-IPS screens. Does anyone know if these are A03? I'm really starting to doubt that any S-IPS screens can come from the TN factory now...

In case anyone's interested there's no panel lottery in Europe.All monitors made in CZ are shipped with S-IPS panels.

I'm quite pleased so far with mine.I calibrated it a bit and it's quite good.I'm sure this monitor can be even better if properly calibrated:)

I just called and initiated an exchange. They're shipping my new monitor, so I'll update when I receive it. I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I have a few Q's as I wasn't able to read all of the thread, but want to get a good LCD.

How bad are the non-S-IPS versions of the monitor? Or are they just not worth the higher cost from Dell vs other brands?

How painful is doing an exchange w/ them? Do you have to pay all the shipping or do they?

Thanks! :)

It depends on what your using montor for. For photos and movies it was quite bad imo and not worth keeping. If people just surf around then its ok. It is a 20" HDCP for 350ish. But I don't know what people would use it for that the HDCP would be an asset, I wouldn't think this is a good monitor for HD content at all.

Dell hasn't been bad about returns and exchanges. In fact from a business persepctive they are bleeding off many bucks and I can't see how they can keep exchanging cheap monitors 3 or 4 times for free. I exchanged one monitor and sent that back as well so 2 returns in all total - and never I got charged anything (but I did spend around 20 hours on phone!). However I never got my money back either and it's been a few days short of 2 months since return. I just got off phone with Dell again and this time thay gave me a PayPal number to call and they seem like they want to fix this mess finally (I used PayPal, and even though Dell tells me "OK" on the phone and that my credit is cleared I never get the money back and payPal never hears from them).

Can anyone who has both a Dell S-PVA and a Dell S-IPS take a stopwatch/input lag test with them?
The stopwatch can be downloaded here:
http://www.fauland.com/af8.htm

Connect both screens in clone mode and take a picture while side by side with the clock running. :D

Anyone looking for a Rev. A02 S-IPS 2007WFP?

I'm putting mine up for sale.

(I thought I'd let you, the people who actually care, know)

It's curious to see that the people who've ordered from Samsclub have all gotten S-IPS screens. Does anyone know if these are A03? I'm really starting to doubt that any S-IPS screens can come from the TN factory now...

Me too. There are some reports over the last few days but I think they were leftovers. Its obvious, at least in Mexico, they have switched. I doubt they have to panels being manufactured on the same belts.

I put in for my second switch but I am not hopefull.

I put in for my second switch but I am not hopefull.

Just keep tossing'em back. You didn't start this thing. Dell will e-mail you a shipping label so you can drop the thing off at a pick-up spot instead of waiting for it ot be picked-up at home. Just remember Dell has the NEC for 599 - just a couple hundred more. With all the time you could spend on phone with Dell you could put in same time putting in some OT at work and buy more expensive display and probably have a lot left over. I could have had a wall mounted octagon of NEC's now ; )

I really don't know why all you people are so excited to get or not get the S-IPS version.
I personally bought DELL 2007WFP monitor recently, its RT803 S-IPS, made 1st week of 2007. And I am NOT satisfied with it. This DELL monitor is simply not good quality. No matter what panel I get.

2007WFP is NOT good for people who have anything to do with computer graphics. Reason: Screen coating produces a clearly visible sand-like layer, which is very efficient at distorting image and color quality. For example, when you are a photographer and doing some digital photo enhancements, you can never know if the granularity you see on somebody's face is the effect of monitor or the photo itself. So you will never be able to see on this monitor the real result of your work.

2007WFP is NOT good for anybody who uses computer to read anything. Text is significantly blurry. Your eyes will get blind very soon. In this case again the screen coating has to do with blurry effect. To describe what you see on the screen, try imagining that somebody mixed small size grains of sand with very small grains of flashy cristals, and then spilled this mixture on the entire area of the screen. This creates the effect of flickering, comparable to 70 hz refresh rate on CRT monitors. Additionally when you enable ClearType, then all letters will not look black anymore, only some kind of greyish.

2007WFP is NOT good for anybody who wants to watch a movie from a close distance. Again screen coating is very visible.

2007WFP is NOT so good for game players either. Simply because it's not as fast as cheaper TN panels.

So finally, can anybody tell me for whom this monitor is a good product ???

For people like me who are not annoyed from the antiglare coating at all.If someone finds it that annoying, then a glossy monitor is the best choice.

And i don't even notice the coating in video playback.It's only visible in light colours, mainly white and gray.But it's not that bad.It's a matter of pesonal preference and perception though.In a well-lit room most of the time, like mine, without the coating the monitor wouldn't even be usable.

2007WFP is NOT good for people who have anything to do with computer graphics. Reason: Screen coating produces a clearly visible sand-like layer, which is very efficient at distorting image and color quality. For example, when you are a photographer and doing some digital photo enhancements, you can never know if the granularity you see on somebody's face is the effect of monitor or the photo itself. So you will never be able to see on this monitor the real result of your work.

2007WFP is NOT good for anybody who uses computer to read anything. Text is significantly blurry. Your eyes will get blind very soon. In this case again the screen coating has to do with blurry effect. To describe what you see on the screen, try imagining that somebody mixed small size grains of sand with very small grains of flashy cristals, and then spilled this mixture on the entire area of the screen. This creates the effect of flickering, comparable to 70 hz refresh rate on CRT monitors. Additionally when you enable ClearType, then all letters will not look black anymore, only some kind of greyish.

2007WFP is NOT good for anybody who wants to watch a movie from a close distance. Again screen coating is very visible.

2007WFP is NOT so good for game players either. Simply because it's not as fast as cheaper TN panels.
Just about the only point I'll concede on is gaming, but even though it is not as fast as the TN panels, it's a lot faster than the S-PVA or P-MVA panels since it does not have input lag. And if you wanna talk about TN panels? Oh yeah, definitely the 2007WFP takes the cake in color accuracy there. They can't even do 16.7 million colors, let alone the fact that they have pathetic viewing angles.

My screen has an anti-glare coating also, but I don't see this "distortion" you're talking about, nor do I see the "blurry" text (in fact, the text quality is the one thing that really stands out about this screen in my book). I would rather have the anti-glare coating than I would to have sunlight all over my monitors and screwing up my display.

Back