Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

I just got new 2007WFP. It's A04 made in Czech republic. RT803, no dead pixels, no flickering so I'am very happy. Looks like R04 in europe will remain S-IPS.

Ordered from dell.ca last week for CAN $359 and it arrived yesterday... revision A04, made in Mexico, RT803 with the S-IPS panel. Beautiful colours, no dead pixels.

A friend ordered one from costco.ca for CAN $439 at the same time, but it had a PVA panel. Costco took it back, no questions asked.

how do I check the time usage thing? I can't find it on the menu

To see the service menu(panel info on top line):

Turn off the monitor.
Hold down "menu" and the "+" while powering up the monitor.
When monitor is fully powered and the input graphic disappears: release "menu" and "+" then press the "-" button

what is "flickering" if I may ask?

From Wikipedia:
Flicker is visible fading between image frames displayed on cathode ray tube (CRT) based monitor. Flicker occurs when the monitor's CRT is driven at a low refresh rate, allowing the screen's phosphors to lose their excitation (afterglow) between sweeps of the electron gun.

Since flat panel displays use Active-matrix liquid crystal displays which use a transistor for each pixel make the pixel keep its state, they do not flicker, at least not based in the screen update rate. They may however show flicker from the backlight, but it should normally be refreshed at rather high frequencies.

Basically the screen goes black before it displays again, like an eye blink, quickly disappears and then reappears again.

Finally got my 2007WFP, it shipped from Dallas to where I live in the Caribbean. Rev. A04, January 07, made in Mexico, V1B22 (RT803), no dead pixels. Needless to say, this thing kicks the SHIT out of my old 2405FPW. Colors are 10x better, no color shifting etc. Even though it's 4" smaller, it's not really noticeable. My advice to anyone looking at a 24" LCD, just don't buy one. The extra space is not worth twice the price, IMHO. :)

To see the service menu(panel info on top line):

Turn off the monitor.
Hold down "menu" and the "+" while powering up the monitor.
When monitor is fully powered and the input graphic disappears: release "menu" and "+" then press the "-" button

From Wikipedia:
Flicker is visible fading between image frames displayed on cathode ray tube (CRT) based monitor. Flicker occurs when the monitor's CRT is driven at a low refresh rate, allowing the screen's phosphors to lose their excitation (afterglow) between sweeps of the electron gun.

Since flat panel displays use Active-matrix liquid crystal displays which use a transistor for each pixel make the pixel keep its state, they do not flicker, at least not based in the screen update rate. They may however show flicker from the backlight, but it should normally be refreshed at rather high frequencies.

Basically the screen goes black before it displays again, like an eye blink, quickly disappears and then reappears again.
Thanks! well I don't know If my 2007WFP "flickers", but I moved from CRT to LCD, and The white that I see isn't a complete white and there seems to be a lots of black really small dots, I asked here a week ago about this and someone told me that's how LCD works, so I had a little relief, but now people say that they don't have flickering, what does it mean? they don't see white dots?..

Well I just got my 2007wfp today. It's a S-IPS panel (RT803) A04; Made in Mexico. Unfortunately, it has 1 dead pixel >_< I called Dell for a replacement and it should be coming next week.

Everyone still getting 2007wfp S-IPS panels, are you ordering them brand new? Refurbished?

What happens if you get the PVA panel? Can you return it?

Thanks! well I don't know If my 2007WFP "flickers", but I moved from CRT to LCD, and The white that I see isn't a complete white and there seems to be a lots of black really small dots, I asked here a week ago about this and someone told me that's how LCD works, so I had a little relief, but now people say that they don't have flickering, what does it mean? they don't see white dots?..

You are talking about two seperate issues here. One is flickering, the second is the dots.

Flickering generally occurs when your eye / mind interperts a poor sync or refresh rate of the screen. The lower the refresh rate the greater the chance that you will see the monitor flicker. Some people are more sensitive to lower refresh rates than others. Flicker sometimes can also be seen when using your pereferial vision (like looking out "the corner of your eye"). You can tell if your monitor flickers if you catch yourself thinking "Did I just blink or did my screen go blank really really fast". So in short, flickering has nothing to do with the "dots".

Now about those dots. I think what you are describing is the effect that the anti-glare matte on the monitor is having on the display of images. The way the LCD panel works is usually different than most CRT monitors so that may also take a bit of getting use to. I don't think anything is wrong with the monitor.

One thing that may be wrong is if you are not running in the monitor's native resolution. If you aren't running in the native resolution then your image quality will be lower and some of this problem may be from that. If you are not running in 1680 X 1050 then you should try and see if that helps.

My money is on the reflective coating.:)

Everyone still getting 2007wfp S-IPS panels, are you ordering them brand new? Refurbished?

What happens if you get the PVA panel? Can you return it?

I think most of the people are ordering the panels new. I think that if you try to get a refurbished panel it is much harder to return it. With a new panel you have a 21 day satisfaction window in which you can return the panel for any reason.

If you order a new panel and get a PVA panel you can just say that there is too much color bleed and you think something is wrong with the monitor. They will then ship out a new one and provide a return shipping label so you can send the original one back free of charge.

How long you can keep exchanging depends on if you can provide a viable technical problem with the monitor. At the point you run out of excuses to use, you may return the monitor and then place an order for a new monitor.

You are talking about two seperate issues here. One is flickering, the second is the dots.

Flickering generally occurs when your eye / mind interperts a poor sync or refresh rate of the screen. The lower the refresh rate the greater the chance that you will see the monitor flicker. Some people are more sensitive to lower refresh rates than others. Flicker sometimes can also be seen when using your pereferial vision (like looking out "the corner of your eye"). You can tell if your monitor flickers if you catch yourself thinking "Did I just blink or did my screen go blank really really fast". So in short, flickering has nothing to do with the "dots".

Now about those dots. I think what you are describing is the effect that the anti-glare matte on the monitor is having on the display of images. The way the LCD panel works is usually different than most CRT monitors so that may also take a bit of getting use to. I don't think anything is wrong with the monitor.

One thing that may be wrong is if you are not running in the monitor's native resolution. If you aren't running in the native resolution then your image quality will be lower and some of this problem may be from that. If you are not running in 1680 X 1050 then you should try and see if that helps.

My money is on the reflective coating.:)
Thanks for the explanation ;)
Is there a more reliable check if there is flickering?

does anyone know how to get into the service menu on a 1907fp?? the power off ->hold menu and "+" -> power on while holding -> press "-" trick doesn't work, it does show me a some txt in yellow but no service menu

Received 2007wfp on Friday. Made in Mexico, A04, V1B22, RT803. I went from old Sony 17" TN, and noticed a big difference. Is there any way to change the contrast?

white dots:
when i was looking for dead pixels on my first 2007wfp, i noticed that some pixels stood out, but then from different angles, they looked ok again.

the dots were dust. try wiping at the dots with your finger. if the dot you were looking at moves or goes away, now you know what it was. :)

Just received my 2007WFP...Its RT803 A03 S-IPS Panel...tested the panel with dead pixel buddy and found 1 dead pixel on black screen only (the other colours were fine) (I think its a bright pixel instead of a dead pixel)..I am gonna call up Dell and try to do an exchange...Anyone tried the UDPixel program that helps to fix yr dead pixels by hovering over it with a flashing coloured pixel?

Its my first time crossing over from CRT to LCD...and I m pretty happy with this panel...anyone can tell me how to check for color banding issues or backlight bleeding?

Thanks for the explanation ;)
Is there a more reliable check if there is flickering?

try this: http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ckering4uj.gif

and remember to watch it 100&#37;

That was posted by Glengoyne (post 896) earlier in this thread. That should help you see if your monitor flickers

Here another one by abcdelight (post 915)

I don't get the flickering looking at the image people in this thread refer to (I am using NEC20WMGX2) but I do get ssporadic flickering on right side of monitor using this pattern :

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/dotinvrgb2l.html

It's not a flaw that different LCD's can flicker (even partial screen) on various patterns. As much as I don't like to defend Dell I think a lot of the "flicker" is just native to LCD function and not a problem in natural use. More tests and explanations are here:

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#inversion

Read the part about "Inversion"

"The inversion pattern for any given screen will inevitably flicker to some extent and is not a fault."

...anyone can tell me how to check for color banding issues or backlight bleeding?

Color banding issues generally will occur in pictures with similar shades in a small generalized area. So use a picture of a sunset, or clear blue sky. Some of the pictures that come with Windows (operating system) may work.

Backlight bleeding is the most noticable when your screen is black and you are in a dark room (lights are off, etc.). So set the screen saver to black (I think the option is none for total black)and do a preview. That should show you how much backlight bleed you have for your monitor. The backlight bleed will be most noticable in the four corners.

Hope that helps.

I thought I would chime in with my experiences this past week.

Ordered a refurbished 2007 WFP for $289.00 which was shipped from Memphis.

Upon the FedEx arrival, I was somewhat dismayed to discover the packaging indicated an A03 Made in Mexico.

My premonition of doom was confirmed by running the Service Panel to discover the panel was 2007 WFP A03 - Panel code PM330: S-PVA.

Went online to Dell's return site and explained why I wanted to return the monitor. No problem as you have 15 days to return a refurbished monitor no strings attached. As the return tech couldn't guarantee an S-IPS I just accepted a straight return credit and decided to order a NEW monitor especially since they cut the price on the Dell site to $359.00.

While waiting for UPS to pickup the refurbished monitor for return shipment to Memphis, my daughter saw the packaging and decided to have a look. She was quite happy with the S-PVA panel and I decided to let her have it as she doesn't work with photographs and plays games as well. We hooked it up to her iBook and used Screen Spanning Doctor to enable the full resolution of 1680 x 1050 and spanning.

It is a beautiful monitor and not as bad as most people are reporting here although if you work mainly with color you will notice color shift when moving your focal point.

I received the NEW monitor yesterday which was shipped from Patrick, Nevada.

2007 WFP A04 - Panel code RT803: S-IPS

A04 Made in Mexico.

So more evidence that the NEW A04 are coming out as S-IPS.

No color shift and works great.

A04 Made in Mexico, Shipped from Texas.
IPS....at least i think so. turns purple when tilted on a black screen. but cant find out for sure
since my graphics card doesnt support 1680X1050. jumps from 1600X1200 to 1792X1344 :(

can anyone recommend a decent AGP video card that supports DVI that is easily available at a bestbuy/fry's/compusa? id rather spend under $50 as i spent almost all my money on this monitor.

thanks!

Well I just got my 2007wfp today. It's a S-IPS panel (RT803) A04; Made in Mexico. Unfortunately, it has 1 dead pixel >_< I called Dell for a replacement and it should be coming next week.

Just a follow up. Today my replacement came and thankfully it's a S-IPS panel again (RT803) A04; Made in Mexico. No dead pixels, no banding, no back light bleeding.

wow good for u freeze888....I have a stuck pixel on a black background...is there any way I could fix it? I have heard about stuck pixels that can be fixed using some methods...tried the UDPixel for few hours...didnt work...and also the JScreenFix applet for hours too but it didnt work either....should i try pixel massaging? I am pretty afraid I might cause more stuck pixels to form up....If not, I hope to get my panel replaced...Their dp policy here is like 5 dp..I hope they change for 1 dp...

wow good for u freeze888....I have a stuck pixel on a black background...is there any way I could fix it? I have heard about stuck pixels that can be fixed using some methods...tried the UDPixel for few hours...didnt work...and also the JScreenFix applet for hours too but it didnt work either....should i try pixel massaging? I am pretty afraid I might cause more stuck pixels to form up....If not, I hope to get my panel replaced...Their dp policy here is like 5 dp..I hope they change for 1 dp...

You could try the massaging technique to get rid of your stuck pixel. I have read that some people were successful when doing this. If your within the satisfaction guarantee period (18 days upon receiving I believe), you can request a replacement.

guys, what brightness are you using ?...

edit: i posted 2 weeks ago, a "problem" that i see in the screen, black dots on the white.. i went to my friend's house and he has some junky 17 TN. and there were black dots, but they were almost not seen.. is there a possibility the my screen is damaged ? or the plating of the 2007wfp is the cause? thx

Received my 2007FP today in Canada rev A04 and it has panel HN210 and has purple tint at angles indicting S-IPS. :)

This is good news since I will be using it in portrait mode alongside my 3007WFP-HC when it arrives. :D

Hi,

I send my 2007WFP back because of the flickering of gray areas. The flickering was clearly visible when the brightness was set to less than 90%. It was a RT803 Rev. A03 made in Czech.

A few days ago I received my replacement. Now I have a Rev. A04 made in Czech. RT803, too.

No dead pixels, no flickering. Perfect!

DJans

Received my 2007FP today in Canada rev A04 and it has panel HN210 and has purple tint at angles indicting S-IPS. :)

This is good news since I will be using it in portrait mode alongside my 3007WFP-HC when it arrives. :D

Good to hear this. I'm waiting for mine since I jumped on the 70$ deal (just posted above my post).

Good to hear this. I'm waiting for mine since I jumped on the 70$ deal (just posted above my post).

Keep in mind, I was reporting that my 2007FP (non-wide) monitor was IPS. However, it seems all WFP's are also IPS so you should be fine. That is an awesome price!

Keep in mind, I was reporting that my 2007FP (non-wide) monitor was IPS. However, it seems all WFP's are also IPS so you should be fine. That is an awesome price!

Doh, misread this :p However, I read a few pages back after posting and it seems the A04 version is all IPS so I believe I'm good for a win :D

Can anyone tell me the new codes of dell regarding WFP2007 revision 4? if there are any?
I mean, are they using the same as revision 3?

Now, besides RT803, what else means S-IPS?

Thanks.

Ordered a new 2007WFP last week and just got it today.

Rev A04 RT803. Zero dead pixels or backlight issues.

I'm in heaven.

Jeff

just got my 2007 today

S-IPS panel (RT803) A04; Made in Mexico

Happy about it - my desk looks all nice now vs my 19' G400.
But I might just have to send it back.
using the VGA cable I get some form of line flickering on grays - can't stand it - and I do have color gradient - in DVI - so well not all that nice when things start adding up.

is the flickering normal ?

Got my 2007WFP last evening as well. It's a A04 and the panel is S-IPS confirmed by the purple hue and the service menu show RT803. I'm happy and everything seems flawless (didn't have time to check everything since I need to go to bed early).

I assume that A04 is 99.9% guaranteed to be S-IPS so it's a good thing to request this revision when ordering one to have the best chance of getting the right panel. This is what I did when I ordered mine after hearing that A04 were all S-IPS so far.

There is however a issue, which might have a easy fix, but when I plug the DVI cable to my computer, the monitor doesn't receive any signal. I'm upgrading from a old Samsung 700IFT 17" CRT so I assume there is something I need th check or update to enable DVI. VGA works perfectly fine both in Windows XP and Ubuntu 64. I'd love to hear what I need to do to fix this, knowing I'm running the LCD from a XFX 7900GS.

Got my 2007WFP last evening as well. It's a A04 and the panel is S-IPS confirmed by the purple hue and the service menu show RT803. I'm happy and everything seems flawless (didn't have time to check everything since I need to go to bed early).

I assume that A04 is 99.9% guaranteed to be S-IPS so it's a good thing to request this revision when ordering one to have the best chance of getting the right panel. This is what I did when I ordered mine after hearing that A04 were all S-IPS so far.

There is however a issue, which might have a easy fix, but when I plug the DVI cable to my computer, the monitor doesn't receive any signal. I'm upgrading from a old Samsung 700IFT 17" CRT so I assume there is something I need th check or update to enable DVI. VGA works perfectly fine both in Windows XP and Ubuntu 64. I'd love to hear what I need to do to fix this, knowing I'm running the LCD from a XFX 7900GS.

This may sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you tried selecting the DVI input mode on the monitor? It is input number 2. You can cycle to it by pressing the button with the arrow and box.

This may sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you tried selecting the DVI input mode on the monitor? It is input number 2. You can cycle to it by pressing the button with the arrow and box.

Yes I did but thank anyway :) I made a separate topic on it and I will try different cable and card since it's possible something is defective.

DVI finally worked after some fiddling :D

After 2 hours of testing and toying around, it has no dead/struck pixels and it's awesome with HL2:Lost Coast and Oblivion (ran at native resolution for a bit but it's too much for my poor 7900GS. I found the sweet spot running at 1024x768 that I had running initally with good performances, while using the Aspect setting to fill the top and bottom side. 1:1 works but it's too small at 1024x768). It take some time to get accustomed to the 1680x1050 resolution while browsing as pages is stretched, especially here :p

I definitely recommend this to anyone ;)

Back