Dell 600m randomly shuts off

Reikoshea

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
77
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m and im having a really strange problem.

The orange battery light blinks three times, goes green and then repeats again. When i move the power cord back and forth the laptop turns off (that tells me its not an overheating problem...which was my first guess). When i was about to take the laptop apart, i discovered that as i move the power cord back and forth i hear a slight shock sound. Once i figured that out, i guessed it was just a bad power cord, so i got a new one and the problem presists. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with an inspiron notebook. If so, was there a way to repair the problem aside from just replacing the notebook.
 
The Dell 600m has a known issue with the motherboard, all of them. I got one second handed recently and was well aware of the issue before the purchase - the previous owner was very thorough and documented the problems very well.

Didn't matter, I bought it anyway.

The day I received it from him it booted fine the first and second times, the third it didn't. The power light and the hard drive light and the ScrollLock/CapsLock/NumLock lights flicker for a few seconds then went off. Pressed power again, same result.

So I hit it.

Right on the top, just above the keyboard. I rapped it pretty hard with my knuckles, pressed power again, it booted.

So there you have it, my solution. After working on computers and consumer electronics for 35+ years, sometimes the good old "Smack it" philosophy works, believe it or not.

Can't say it's scientific, of course, but then again bumblebees aren't supposed to be able to fly.

Dell charges an arm and a leg to repair this well known defect of the 600m line and I really have to say it's a pretty bad fucking thing for them to just blow off on customers - this defect exists across the entire 600m line, it's always been there, and not one 600m that I've seen or come across did not exihibit this issue at some point.

Go to the Dell customer support forums and you'll read about it all over the place, also. Prettly lame thing for Dell to do and then push the blame off on customers and make them pay to fix a manufacturing defect in the first place.
 
Back
Top