Dell 5k UW released

This might just be my next monitor. Higher than 4k res, IPS, 40 inches. I'm guessing this has the new 40inch 5k2k LG panel announced late last year. Please, please, please LG & Dell, don't let this one have deal breaking issues!!

Unfortunately, after experiencing 100+ Hz, I can't go back to a 60Hz panel for daily drive. Things are just so smooth. A dream monitor would be a 5120x2160 UW with the ideal 100PPi, 120Hz with Adaptive Sync, and HDR600+

But I honestly don't think we'll ever see a monitor like that.

Hoping either Dell or another OEM puts freesync2 + uni comp on this panel, can live with 60 Hz if those two are there..

This looks pretty good. Once this gets a better input interface that will support that resolution at 120+Hz and 10+ bit color, it will be an absolute home run. Maybe by the time all of that is ready, micro LED will be too. A man can dream.

Kind of suprised its only HDMI 2.0 with 5120x2160@30Hz, you have to use Thunderbolt or DP to get 60Hz. I expected HDMI 2.1

Kind of suprised its only HDMI 2.0 with 5120x2160@30Hz, you have to use Thunderbolt or DP to get 60Hz. I expected HDMI 2.1
Leave it to display manufacturers to make a display that is an overpriced pile of crap. This would sell like hotcakes if it was 120 Hz and HDMI 2.1 with HDR600 at least. Maybe in 2023 we have something like this that is actually worth the price tag.

Looks like I will be getting the 38" one. Significantly cheaper, though.

with the ideal 100PPi
I don't find that the ideal PPI at all, and if you want that there is already the Alienware 38" with 144hz panel. Unless you sit more than 100cm away from the monitor ALL the time, you want at least 140PPI so text looks crisp. This new 40" gets the PPI and size right, price is still too high for my taste and refresh rate a bit low at 60hz (if it will be that and most likely will) not a deal breaker for me personally but would prefer higher refresh available at least at lower resolutions.

Last edited:
This is a great office monitor. Take a 32" 4K monitor and make it 33% wider. Perfect high-resolution PPI.

Built-in KVM, too.

60Hz is too bad, but it's going to be a while before we get >4K monitors with high refresh rates. Brightness is a bit on the low side, too.

$2100 is steep, but if this drops below $1500 with Dell coupon sales I'll probably be picking it up.

This is a great office monitor. Take a 32" 4K monitor and make it 33% wider. Perfect high-resolution PPI.

Built-in KVM, too.

60Hz is too bad, but it's going to be a while before we get >4K monitors with high refresh rates. Brightness is a bit on the low side, too.

$2100 is steep, but if this drops below $1500 with Dell coupon sales I'll probably be picking it up.

The form factor is great but that's literally the only thing it has going for it. Even for an office monitor you could just buy two 32" 4K 60 Hz displays for way less money and probably get reasonably close to same performance with more desktop space. At closer to the $1000-1500 price point it would make a lot more sense.

The form factor is great but that's literally the only thing it has going for it. Even for an office monitor you could just buy two 32" 4K 60 Hz displays for way less money and probably get reasonably close to same performance with more desktop space. At closer to the $1000-1500 price point it would make a lot more sense.
I've gone back and forth between dual 4Ks and a single Ultrawide. I prefer the single Ultrawide.

Splitting the workspace in half right in the center of your view just isn't great for me.

Both this and the new 3821dw seem to have 98% DCI-P3 but no HDR, wtf Dell...also no Freesync...

Leave it to display manufacturers to make a display that is an overpriced pile of crap. This would sell like hotcakes if it was 120 Hz and HDMI 2.1 with HDR600 at least. Maybe in 2023 we have something like this that is actually worth the price tag.
Yes, I can't really rationalize the $2100 price no matter how I look at it. There's no reason that this should cost $700 more than an LG 5K2K with the exact same resolution. Technology's supposed to improve at the same price-point, not increase the price with each small improvement year over year. I know LG's supposed to coming out with their own monitor using this panel; maybe theirs will be better. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. For the time being, I'll be sticking with my LG (full) 5K.

Yes, I can't really rationalize the $2100 price no matter how I look at it. There's no reason that this should cost $700 more than an LG 5K2K with the exact same resolution. Technology's supposed to improve at the same price-point, not increase the price with each small improvement year over year. I know LG's supposed to coming out with their own monitor using this panel; maybe theirs will be better. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. For the time being, I'll be sticking with my LG (full) 5K.
Ultrawide monitor prices have always been unreasonable relative to what you get for the same real estate in 16:9. I agree that $2100 is basically a slap in the face, but it's not exactly an unsurprising one. Just duck and wait for prices to come down.

Ultrawide monitor prices have always been unreasonable relative to what you get for the same real estate in 16:9. I agree that $2100 is basically a slap in the face, but it's not exactly an unsurprising one. Just duck and wait for prices to come down.
Waiting’s a good piece of advice, that’s for sure! What bothers me though is that the LG 5K2K I mentioned is ultrawide. Granted it’s a flat panel, but it’s still a 21:9 aspect ratio. But Dell’s still charging $700 more for a slightly bigger, curved model. :(

First impressions:

That 5120x2160 @ 30 Hz over HDMI is just..oof, come on. I could get over the fact that it is a 60 Hz monitor but I would want to at least get that 60 Hz over any connection on the display so this really should have had HDMI 2.1 on it. Or just offer multiple DP connections.

This just seems like a bad monitor at its initial price. Slice the price in half and it would be palatable for a large high res UW monitor.

A 120hz+ version of this with decent HDR (i.e. FALD or Mini LED) and HDMI 2.1 would be great but realistaclly that's going to be another panel (unannounced as of yet panel). Monitor prices are spiralling out of control, but I would consider that worth upgrading to and a good long term monitor.
Personally, I do wonder if all the gimmicks add to the price. I'd pay more for a non wide, 38-40" 120hz 4k monitor, and that would probably be much more universally saleable. I think part of the high prices are from all the engineering that has to go into a (relatively) low-volume product.

Looks like the 40" is available to ship now, but the 38" is backordered until April..

Because the realtek interface chip for 2.1 cost a bit. Okay, bugger all in comparison to what they [Dell] sell it for, why? They skimp that as much as possible, sweet margins baby. That's a new 'rarri for the panel division VP.

Why they can't implement even basic HDR on this for tone-mapping is beyond me..it has the needed gamut. And no FreeSync even....big deal breakers.

For those who don't want to deal with scaling (for app compatibility and maximum screen real-estate), this display doesn't have an ideal PPI. 49" 5120x2160, however, would be pretty awesome with no scaling - 113 PPI, which is decently crisp and no scaling required.

I'm sticking with a Dell U4320Q 43" 4K (104 PPI) in the meantime. I don't find it to be too big with a decently deep desk (mine is 37.5" deep). My use-case is productivity and involves lots of windows open at once, which isn't the same for everyone; some people need high refresh rate (which this has the opposite of, anyways), scaled displays. I definitely wouldn't mind 43" 8K. 🤤

For those who don't want to deal with scaling (for app compatibility and maximum screen real-estate), this display doesn't have an ideal PPI. 49" 5120x2160, however, would be pretty awesome with no scaling - 113 PPI, which is decently crisp and no scaling required.

I'm sticking with a Dell U4320Q 43" 4K (104 PPI) in the meantime. I don't find it to be too big with a decently deep desk (mine is 37.5" deep). My use-case is productivity and involves lots of windows open at once, which isn't the same for everyone; some people need high refresh rate (which this has the opposite of, anyways), scaled displays. I definitely wouldn't mind 43" 8K. 🤤
IMO at some point you have enough desktop space and better text rendering is a better tradeoff. Scaling works fine in most desktop programs nowadays, don't know about some industry niche software though. Even on my 48" 4K OLED I'd rather sacrifice some desktop space for better text rendering.

This thing is on sale if anybody is interested. I ordered the 38" one and its arriving on Sat. Looking forward to it.

Back