Dell 5700 EVDO card on Alltel

garhof

Weaksauce
Recently a guy i do computer work for decided to buy a new laptop. I got everything transfered over, and was setting up his pc. I tried to install his kyocera evdo wireless card only to find out that it's not compatable with the pc.
Some how during this his old laptop managed to break ( hardware failure, but thats another post) so he cant even use that laptop on the road when he needs internet.
The dell 5700 evdo card is the one that his computer will take. the express card.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=313-4391

It says that its for Verison. But how different are these things. Could he buy one of these and use it on the alltel network?

If not, are there any kind of adapters for the PCMIA cards to the express card slots that dont cost 100- 200 bucks. http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/

Thanks for any help. im hoping i can get these both working. my real fear is that i'll get pinned on the old laptop getting broken. and right now with school i hardly have enough money for beer and food let alone fixing an old laptop. arg..computers..

So he's willing to spend the money on a $179 on a card but not $100 on an adapter? The adapter is guaranteed to work. Plus he'll get use out of it over time since ExpressCard support is minimal right now compared to PCMCIA. Here's the deal Alltel is releasing an ExpressCard card in the next 1-2 months. In the next month or so they are releasing a USB Type card as well. So if he can just wait a couple weeks he'll be good.

P.S. The Dell one won't work. Verizon phones can be activated on Alltel but the data doesn't work. Which mean data cards are a no-go.

at the moment, he's not really said anything. i was searching for various solutions. good thing to know on the card wont work at all. i was hoping that i could pick one up on ebay for under 100 used. I"ll also let him know that alltell is going to be coming out with one soon.

Thanks

Back