• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell 5 pin fans?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
1,418
I've now essentially case swapped a Dell Optiplex 7010 ( built from a parts bin motherboard )... Thing is these require 3 things to keep error codes out of startup.. Dell 5 pin CPU fan, and Dell 5 pin case fan are the main ones in a sea of 120mm+ cases... The Corsair 4000D doesn't even have 80mm spaced holes hidden within the vent cover. I have an old 80-120 case fan adapter coming , but the 80mm fan does not mount well otherwise

How do these 5 pin fans work? I know the 5th pin is some kind of signal. The 5 pin to 4 pin adapters say they don't always play nice with the Bios and genererate a startup error. I have a Precision T3500 front fan assembly ( 2 120mm fans wired to single 5 pin ).. Can those fans be run on the Optiplex board?
 
5th pin is empty. Wiring order is non standard.

Here is a 7010 fan image. Looks like wiring is same except color of RPM signal wire. Seems it would work. Hope that helps.
 

Attachments

  • Dell fan plug.png
    Dell fan plug.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 7010.jpg
    7010.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I took a second look at the ketchup and mustard adapters, where I was only looking at the black sleeved ones before.. It appears the K&M adapters are wired correctly to operate a dell. I ordered a couple to see if they do work
 
Back
Top