Dell $399 Laptop

Yep

We need you to adjust your order.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request. The e-value code you entered is either incorrect, not eligible on the small business website, or has expired. If you feel you have reached this page in error please try the following steps

:(

Went through for me, it's showing a price of $499 "before mail in rebate"
Theres a $100 rebate listed

Inspiron 2200
preliminary ship date of 12/7/05

1.5 GHz pentium M
256 megs shared DDR
14.1" LCD
40 gig HD
24x cd-r/dvd combo drive

Not exactly a rockin system but for 400 bucks I might pick it up

nice price especially for a person who just wants a plain laptop. I'm a little more picky though... :D

Marduk said:
Hmmm....do I go with this, or sit out in front of Best Buy instead?

After the number of Dell laptop mainboards we have replaced due to failure and broken power jacks there is no way I would ever buy a Dell laptop.

I bit. Good price and dont mind waiting the few weeks for the rebate. I did one of the dell/comcast rebates on broadband a few months back and it showed up 2 weeks after I sent it.

Make sure you add on the 'free' items: dell wireless and dell 720 printer
-They arent checked by default and could easily be skipped if you arent careful.

While not a behemoth - its a decent little laptop
Celeron M 370
256mb ram
14" screen
60GB harddrive
CDRW/DVD-Rom
Dell 1370 Wireless card
Dell 720 Color printer
XP Home
2 year onsite warrenty
$680 shipped before 100 MIR

when all is said and done - $600 for a laptop with a decent warrenty even is nothing to frown about :p

To make it sweeter, I have a 256MB ddr stick here from earlier this year when I bought my Dell 700m and popped in 2GB Crucial.

Joe Fristoe said:
After the number of Dell laptop mainboards we have replaced due to failure and broken power jacks there is no way I would ever buy a Dell laptop.

:jerkit:

Don't hate on dell...that's all we use in my office and I never have issues.

I have purchased 4 of these now for clients and everyone loves them :)

fusionrs said:
:jerkit:

Don't hate on dell...that's all we use in my office and I never have issues.

I have purchased 4 of these now for clients and everyone loves them :)

Same..I actually experienced dell as being the least problematic from the big oem companies...constantly had HP or Compaq's being brought in...and Sonys *shudder* go without saying as being a pile of shit.

I bought and Inspiron 6000D in August. It was probably the best computer purchase I have ever done. Cheap, reliable, built solid. I promised myself I would never, ever get a Dell...but hey, things happen.

all the OEMs are about the same. Some people have good times with Dell but dont like HP. My first laptop was an HP and its was fine. Even sold it 6 months later to someone for more then I paid for it. (got it on discount) Now I use a Dell from work. Just as good as the HP so to each their own. I say whoever has the best price gets my money.

Devin said:
Same..I actually experienced dell as being the least problematic from the big oem companies...constantly had HP or Compaq's being brought in...and Sonys *shudder* go without saying as being a pile of shit.

Sony's suck. Toshiba is badass, Compaq and HP have good and bad models. Their business units are excellent.

What can be done to improve this in a year. I know nothing about Intel Chips.

Could you put in a faster CPU?
RAM is simple to upgrade, do you know how many slots?

CC has a Toshiba on Friday for about the same. 12 DDR2 though :) otherwise similar. I just saw it at the local store (they- Taunton, MA have at least 20) A nice looking lappy for short money. Built in wireless G too. Model L25-S1193 and an Early Bird ('til noon) $449 minus some of the AOL Crap and rebates. Comes with a router and AIO Printer too It's $199 with all the crap...

2 slots for ram. As for the processor - I Believe any 400mhz FSB Pentium/Celern M chip will work including the 725, 735, 745, 755 and 765

ninethreeeleven said:
What can be done to improve this in a year. I know nothing about Intel Chips.

Could you put in a faster CPU?
RAM is simple to upgrade, do you know how many slots?

Devin said:
2 slots for ram. As for the processor - I Believe any 400mhz FSB Pentium/Celern M chip will work including the 725, 735, 745, 755 and 765

Yes. They will. Any socket 479 M class chip that has FSB's supported by the motherboard chipset will work.

I really wish I could find a head to head between it and the L25.

L25:
ATI Chipset
ATI x200 video
Atheros 802.11BG
15" XGA gloss

2200:
intel chipset
intel video
intel 802.11BG
14.1" matte
+printer

both have Celeron 1.5ghz, 256mb RAM, 40gb hdds, dvd/cdrws, and are bargain-basement models. the differences are only consequential for my Linux needs for next semester...but I would be interested in what performance differences there are between the 2, both for gaming(I know it'll suck) and for battery life.

Arguably, for my needs the 2200 would be superior due to Linux support. However, depending on how the school opts to do the Linux course...it might be Virtual PC...so Linux support of host hardware may not be as important...in which case the video would likely be better on the L25.

Oh well.

Assuming no head to head reviews...odds are I'll sit out for the L25, and if I don't get it, order this Friday morning...

what is the ati x200 video compare to? tried to google it and wasnt having any results

xpress 200m?

you'll have to look for some IGP boards to get a good idea; problem is I can't think of a single one for celerons. MSI 480 or something like that for the A64 platform though.

Joe Fristoe said:
I gone through 4 power jacks on my Dell Laptop, They are junk never buy a Dell.

Dell Sucks

lee63 said:

Dell Sucks
Maybe let us know what model # you bought so we could stay away from it, and buy a reliable model # dell instead?

Otherwise sweeping statements like that doesn't help us one bit.

;)

lee63 said:

Dell Sucks

Again, :jerkit: blanket statements like that make you look ignorant and uneducated.

If dell "sucked" as much as you say they do then why do they have 75-80% of the computing business in the world.

Joe Fristoe said:

funny you should mention that.. i just did one of those this week as well.. i have to agree that the inspiron 1100 and 1200 series are too flaky to mess with.

if it was a x600, or x700 or the XPS series i'd be all for it.

why cant they give me a rebate on the one i really want?

It's tempting since I missed out on the CC Toshiba this morning. You can upgrade it to almost the exact specs, cept 100mhz less on the CPU, as the Toshiba, but is still $57 more after upgrade fees.

But If I was gonna spend $500, id save up more cash and get a fairly decent 9300. For this reason, Im letting this deal go.

I got in on the Dell deal. I was *kinda* looking for a laptop and just couldn't pass on this one. I did get the 15 inch screen for $29 extra. Not to bad, I think. Since I worked graveyard last night, there was no way for me to get in on the Black Friday deals :(

The dell deal is decent, im gonna wait out for something else though, the intel xtreme graphics are actually ALOT worse than the Xpress 200m, which is very good for the price.

Hackmeat said:
I got in on the Dell deal. I was *kinda* looking for a laptop and just couldn't pass on this one. I did get the 15 inch screen for $29 extra. Not to bad, I think. Since I worked graveyard last night, there was no way for me to get in on the Black Friday deals :(

Yeah pretty much everyone I purchased for paid the extra $29. To me I believe it to be well worth it!

Joe Fristoe said:

Dont go with IBM.. They arnt any better.. %40 drive failure rate and 15% motherboard. We had Dell and I wish we still did.

Something is fishy with this $400 Dell laptop deal.

Dell is advertising it on the main page of their home site as $150 instant savings and $100 MIR. But, you go to the page to buy a notebook and it is listed as $100 instant savings and a $100 MIR making it $449 instead.

Brian Elfert

belfert said:
Something is fishy with this $400 Dell laptop deal.

Dell is advertising it on the main page of their home site as $150 instant savings and $100 MIR. But, you go to the page to buy a notebook and it is listed as $100 instant savings and a $100 MIR making it $449 instead.

I think I figured it out. The Inspirion 2200 is not even listed on the web site that I can see. The ad says supplies limited. I am guessing they sold out.

Brian Elfert

Back