Dell 3007WFP-HC or Gateway XHD3000

Hey guys, I'm finally moving on to my first Non-TN panel display. :)D) And I need help deciding on a couple of things. I'm in interactive design (web, and some print), and I also do a decent amount of gaming. Mostly at LAN's etc. By no means am I hardcore, haha. I bought a 2nd 4850 for Crossfire in anticipation for buying my 30". I've more or less narrowed it down to the Dell 3007WFP-HC and the Gateway XHD3000. (Unless I'm missing something that you can guys point in my direction.) So here it is.

#1 My price ceiling is $1,500 (the price of the XHD3000 on Newegg)
#2 I can get a 3007WFP-HC on the Dell Outlet for $949 ($1100 shipped+tax)
#3 I have a few consoles, 360, and my Wii. And maybe a PS3 when I save up for one. But I also have a TV that serves those. Unless I feel that my 360 would be better on my new 30" LCD :D
*Also, I have a Mac Mini and a C2D Macbook that I also might be hooking up.*

So what do you guys think, have any suggestions?

Well if your hooking stuff up to it like a Macbook then I would get the XHD3000 just for ease of use BUT it does have the black out issue still AFAIK. It is also S-PVA vs S-IPS.

What did you read about these monitors?

I've read that they're both about equally reviewed (on a 1 to 10 scale).

Well if your hooking stuff up to it like a Macbook then I would get the XHD3000 just for ease of use BUT it does have the black out issue still AFAIK. It is also S-PVA vs S-IPS.

What's this Blackout issue? And..I know this might be stupid to ask but (I know what S-IPS's are) what are the pros/cons of a S-PVA panel?

Thanks guys!

I would purchase the Dell; I have tried the Gateway at Fry's and it simply felt cheap. I like the weight IPS monitors have. :D

The Gateway's blackout issue was the its tendency to simply "blink" or "go black" for 2-3 seconds at random times. There also was the problem of being able actually see the head of a screw in the center of the screen if it were pushed in or the monitor were moved or at an angle. Lots of people who bought the LCD's 2nd version claim these two problems were resolved.

An IPS panel is going to weigh the exact same as an IPS panel. :confused:

The blackout is when the screen goes black for a second or two and then comes back.
S-PVA has color shift if you look at it off angles so colors look slightly different when you move and have black crush (They smash the dark end of the grayscale to get better black but you lose alot of dark detail).

The Gateway's blackout issue was the its tendency to simply "blink" or "go black" for 2-3 seconds at random times. There also was the problem of being able actually see the head of a screw in the center of the screen if it were pushed in or the monitor were moved or at an angle. Lots of people who bought the LCD's 2nd version claim these two problems were resolved.

ive had this issue on my current fpd2275w, but a simple yank of the power cord, and back in with it and it's fine again.

Trying to wonder myself which one to go with. Also the Dell 3008wfp looks interesting. Also trying to see if the 2709wfp as an option.

Trying to wonder myself which one to go with. Also the Dell 3008wfp looks interesting. Also trying to see if the 2709wfp as an option.

Yea the 3008 sounds good, but for the 3007 price point it's a great deal. I cannot stand the 'stretching' pixels have done on '27inch' monitor compared to a 24inch LCD with that native res. 27 just means a bigger display, not more real estate.

True, like you I might also want to look at hooking my 360 up to my machine.

Back