Dell 3007WFP-HC colour accuracy

The Real Zardoz

Weaksauce
Hi,

I finally received my 3007WFP-HC (secondhand) however I am questioning the colour accuracy of the panel. The backlight seems a bit reddish to me and the colurs all seem a bit 'strong', I remember reading something abotu this being common on wide gamut displays.

I remember using a 3007WFP non-HC panel a year or so ago and it was fantastic - I loved that damn thing to bits but didn't have the cash to buy one at the time. I found the colours etc were perfect. So what is it about the HC panel that makes things different? I'm also noticing that the dynamic range of this panel with dark colours seems a bit reduced.

I have a Huey colour calibrator. Should I give that a shot? I do a lot of photography so this is probably a smart move. Perhaps I should consider a Spyder 3 Pro?

Re: the backlight, the screen still has some warranty left however a friend of mine had his 3007WFP non-HC panel replaced under warranty for a 3008. Is the backlight's slight reddishness common for the HC panels or should I get it replaced? I'm not too keen on a 3008 due to the lag issues and would much rather a 3007WFP-HC as a replacement if I was to get the problem fixed with warranty.

thanks!

I would greatly appreciate if you could see if your Huey makes a difference. I am considering a 30" monitor myself. :)

it will only help in color managed applications. Not games, not movie players, not the vast majority of programs on my system. So you still get neon reds and greens almost everywhere.

If he calibrates the RGB gain settings in the video driver, it should apply to all applications.

I remember getting mine out the box brand new, and plugging it in, excited to bits about the sheer size of it, even compared to my 22" flat panel (TN)

And bang straight into windows and...WOAH what the hell?! Colours were just oversatuarted and it just looked awful especially reds, took me about 30 seconds to remember I had Digital Vibrance cranked up to compensate for the washed out 22" I had, after turning that off it looked fantastic.

As you know theres no colour control directly on the monitor, I'd either install the drivers for it, or tweak the colour in the video card control panel, all monitors are slightly different, some need a little calibrating. Honestly the red is a tiny bit stronger on my 3007 but it was only noticeable when digital vibrance was amplifying everything. Under normal use for me it's default calibration is fine.

I would never swap my 3007 for a 3008 with the current latency issues, it might be worth finding out if dell do refurbished replacements, since many refurbished monitors are perfectly fine, and you are using a 2nd hand one to begin with.

If he calibrates the RGB gain settings in the video driver, it should apply to all applications.

He is talking about using a calibrator and that is what I was answering.

I have the same monitor and received it yesterday and I am dealing with the same issues.

Now as for setting in your video card drivers. It depends on your drivers, but NVidias suck for this purpose. There is no saturation control, only digital vibrance, which does not go negative. You can't do much with the RGB gain/gamma as this doesn't work like a saturation control. I tweaked for over an an hour and ended up with blue grays and still neon reds/greens.

If remotely realistic color is of importance, avoid this monitor(and most wide gamut panels).

Apparently though, most people enjoy neon colors as all panels seem to be going wide gamut.

He is talking about using a calibrator and that is what I was answering.

I have the same monitor and received it yesterday and I am dealing with the same issues.

Now as for setting in your video card drivers. It depends on your drivers, but NVidias suck for this purpose. There is no saturation control, only digital vibrance, which does not go negative. You can't do much with the RGB gain/gamma as this doesn't work like a saturation control. I tweaked for over an an hour and ended up with blue grays and still neon reds/greens.

If remotely realistic color is of importance, avoid this monitor(and most wide gamut panels).

Apparently though, most people enjoy neon colors as all panels seem to be going wide gamut.

have you tried the drivers from dell, do they not offer some control over the monitor (i've never tried them myself)

Honestly the colours aren't what you're describing on my panel, Im sure it's just a case of calibrating it your own personal tastes, give the drivers a shot and report back.

have you tried the drivers from dell, do they not offer some control over the monitor (i've never tried them myself)

Honestly the colours aren't what you're describing on my panel, Im sure it's just a case of calibrating it your own personal tastes, give the drivers a shot and report back.

So you are in the "most people" demographic.

You started off on your old panel with the Vibrance cranked. You clearly like "vivid" color. My vibrance stayed at ZERO with my previous panel. I like realistic color.

Dell reportedly has some kind of control for Dell computers. I don't have dell computer. I looked at the contents of the disk and saw nothing useful. It appears to be the same disk they shipped with the normal gamut 3007 (non HC) as the profile included is an old sRGB profile. In short completely useless.

Back