DELL 3007WFP - Buzzing

Ok, a bit more detail.

No buzzing, though I can hear some kind of noise when I switch between some resolutions. Otherwise, no noise is eminating from my monitor, or if there is my PC's normal noise masks it. (Which I am ok with) I have turned the brightness all the way up, and turned it down, and I can hear no noise while I do that. If I put my ear up to the back of the monitor, I can barely hear a faint buzz, but only barely. My hearing is pretty good, so I don't think there is a problem with mine at the moment. It is an A02 revision for anyone interested. Niether cat seems to be bothered by it. One of the cats sat in my lap for several minutes while I was surfing the web in front of it. He didn't seem to mind.

There are no dead pixels, and the uniformity of the display is very good. I haven't run the utility to calibrate the display or anything, but so far everything is pretty good as is. 4:3 games so far on this have NOT been stretched at all. I simply get the black bars on the side. That's just right out of the box, and no settings changes. At least this is how it works on my system. I have no sound bar for this unit either, since someone mentioned that. Mine also came with a dual link DVI cable. I mention that because someone had mentioned that the older revisions didn't get the dual link cable all the time. Mine certainly did as it is labled clearly on the cable.

Scaling images on this monitor is the BEST I have ever seen on an LCD display. The absolute best. 1680x1050 didn't look that bad at all as a desktop resolution, and I've run everything from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 and 2048x1536 on this in games and it has looked spectacular. The image quality on this display surpasses my VP201s and is certainly worlds ahead of my Viewsonic VX2025wm. I am really pleased with the unit so far. I can't tell you guys how overjoyed I am messing around with this. I was stunned when I started running games at 2560x1600 and forgot that 4x AA and 8x AF were forced in the CCC and my system ran all the games I tried pretty damn smooth. NFSMW didn't run the best, but when I dropped it to 2x AA and 8x AF it worked great.

AA isn't as big a deal of course at this things resolution, but it does serve to clean the images up a bit more. The best thing is being able to work on my image editing with the images being shown at their actual sizes. No scaling the image down to view the image in Photoshop or anything.

I'll post pics either later tonight or tomorrow. But right now I think I am going to enjoy some more gaming goodness on this thing.

Thanks for the update Dan. It really sucks that Dell might switch to a PVA 30" soon. I'm waiting to see how the LP3065 pans out, but it would suck if it's inferior AND Dell changes to a PVA, screwing me over.

I would expect the 3007 to stretch 4:3 resolutions it receives, so your video card is probably set to pillarbox it. Unfortunately, I've read that that pillarbox setting only works a fraction of the time. That's why I got excited when I found the PowerStrip solution, since it's a low-level solution that could work 100% of the time. I don't want to give up all my old 4:3 games after I buy a 30", and I certainly don't want to play them stretched. Maybe someone can still verify the PowerStrip solution on a 3007...

If you have a nVidia graphics card, you can select the way it scales the image. I always have the "aspect ratio scaling" on. This means that for example if I'm playing a game that has a 4:3 aspect ratio, it will stay 4:3 when it's scaled to the entire screen so that it touches the screen edges up and down, and there are black areas on the sides.

weemies said:
If you have a nVidia graphics card, you can select the way it scales the image. I always have the "aspect ratio scaling" on. This means that for example if I'm playing a game that has a 4:3 aspect ratio, it will stay 4:3 when it's scaled to the entire screen so that it touches the screen edges up and down, and there are black areas on the sides.

I can confirm this. I use the nvidia controls as well and they work great. I often change the settings to mix it up. BF2142 looks spectacular on this monitor.

zzz said:
Thanks for the update Dan. It really sucks that Dell might switch to a PVA 30" soon. I'm waiting to see how the LP3065 pans out, but it would suck if it's inferior AND Dell changes to a PVA, screwing me over.

I would expect the 3007 to stretch 4:3 resolutions it receives, so your video card is probably set to pillarbox it. Unfortunately, I've read that that pillarbox setting only works a fraction of the time. That's why I got excited when I found the PowerStrip solution, since it's a low-level solution that could work 100% of the time. I don't want to give up all my old 4:3 games after I buy a 30", and I certainly don't want to play them stretched. Maybe someone can still verify the PowerStrip solution on a 3007...

So far it's worked fine. You can also adjust the ATi card to scale the image to fit the panel, the same as you can with the nVidia cards.

Oh god this buzzing is driving me nuts. It's loudest when the monitor is off or when I scroll webpages. I guess some people can just hear frequencies others can't. :mad:

beesquee said:
Oh god this buzzing is driving me nuts. It's loudest when the monitor is off or when I scroll webpages. I guess some people can just hear frequencies others can't. :mad:

Or maybe, some monitors do it and some actually don't. I can usually here the things that other people can't hear, and I do not hear anything from my 3007WFP.

K10 said:
dan_d, do you think the desktop performance for an older system like mine (p4 3ghz) will suffer when running that high of a resolution?

If you have a dual link DVI card, it shouldn't. The Windows desktop alone is only 2D and therefore shouldn't have that much of an impact were performance is concerned. The real issues would come from you running 3D apps on a monitor this size if your system isn't up to the challenge.

Ok, maybe the aspect ratio setting works more than I thought. I heard of people especially having problems getting it to work with nvidia 79xx cards.

I also think a P4 3GHz is plenty fast for the big resolution.

jacuzz1 said:
I can confirm this. I use the nvidia controls as well and they work great. I often change the settings to mix it up. BF2142 looks spectacular on this monitor.

*plugs ears with index fingers* *screams high pitched scream* I know I'm doing the right thing I know I'm doing the right thing.
must.......hold on.....a little.........LONGERRRR!!! :(

K10 said:
a dual-link dvi card is required to run the dell 3007...does that mean the card needs 2 dvi ports?

would this work on the dell 3007?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133176

No. That means you need a video card with at least one Dual Link DVI port. It will look identical to a normal DVI port, but it will be able to overcome the resolution limitations standard DVI ports have. I believe that single-link DVI only works up to about 1920x1080. Whatever 2.6 Megapixels is equal to. (Too lazy to do the math.) Anyway, dual DVI is capable of doing 3840x2400.

Quoted from Wikipedia.

"The data format used by DVI is based on the PanelLink serial format devised by the semiconductor manufacturer Silicon Image Inc. This uses Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS). A single DVI link consists of four twisted pairs of wire (red, green, blue, and clock) to transmit 24 bits per pixel. The timing of the signal almost exactly matches that of an analog video signal. The picture is transmitted line by line with blanking intervals between each line and each frame, and without packetization. No compression is used and DVI has no provision for only transmitting changed parts of the image. This means the whole frame is constantly re-transmitted.

With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60Hz is 2.6 megapixels. The DVI connector therefore has provision for a second link, containing another set of red, green, and blue twisted pairs. When more bandwidth is required than is possible with a single link, the second link is enabled, and alternate pixels may be transmitted on each. The DVI specification mandates a fixed single link cutoff point of 165 MHz, where all display modes that require less than this must use single link mode, and all those that require more must switch to dual link mode. When both links are in use, the pixel rate on each may exceed 165 MHz. The second link can also be used when more than 24 bits per pixel is required, in which case it carries the least significant bits.

Like modern analog VGA connectors, the DVI connector includes pins for the display data channel, version 2 (DDC 2) that allows the graphics adapter to read the monitor's extended display identification data (EDID)."

You can find the complete article here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

K10 said:
dan_d,

how do web pages and your taskbar look at that resolution? is it pixelated?

Not at all. Everything looks sharp and perfectly clear. Fixed resolution web pages appear quite small, but are readable, and the taskbar appears the same as it always does, just alot longer.

Web pages that aren't fixed width like the HardForum appear just as they do with any other monitor when you switch from one resolution to another.

Dan_D said:
Not at all. Everything looks sharp and perfectly clear. Fixed resolution web pages appear quite small, but are readable, and the taskbar appears the same as it always does, just alot longer.

Web pages that aren't fixed width like the HardForum appear just as they do with any other monitor when you switch from one resolution to another.

Maybe I'm too lazy to look through the thread but did you mention that you don't have any dead pixels? How long exactly have you had the monitor so far? How many days?

I kicked the 3007 out of by house and bought a used Apple 30". Beautiful and dead silent. I guess you do get what you're paying for.

I've used two of these screens in the same room once. One had the buzzing which increased with brightness - the other had no buzzing at all. Not sure on revisions, though, but the non-buzzing one was a newer delivery.

StalkerZER0 said:
Maybe I'm too lazy to look through the thread but did you mention that you don't have any dead pixels? How long exactly have you had the monitor so far? How many days?

I've had the monitor a couple of months I think now, and I have ZERO dead pixels.

Got my 3007 last week.
It`s Rev A02. Everything seems to be perfect. No dead pixels, no backlighting problem.
Thanks for this thread. No I know that my display lives and has also this fantastic buzzing feature. Today I layed my ear at the back of my display. First I had to concentrate and then I was able to hear it...
buzzz... buzzz...buzzz
I do like this sound, but unfortunately I am not able to hear it, when I take my head away from the back of my screen. And I think it is not an ergonomic working or playing situation with the ears at the back of the screen. The worst problem is, that in this position i am not able to see anything at all.
They should fix this issue soon. I would suggest a volume slider to increase the sound level, so that everyone is able to enjoy this fantastic feature. :p

Back