Dell 3007 on laptop with hdmi please help

AZBOOSTIN

Gawd
Hey guys I recently picked up a laptop to use as a desktop while at home, and without even thinking I did not get one with a display port, it has hdmi out - geforce 860m video card I am wanting to use my dell 3007 at its 2560 resolution, I bought a hdmi to dvi-d adapter and of course it doesn't work I can only get 1280 resolution ... it uses the intel graphics for some reason and I can not create a custom resolution for 2560 anywhere....

are there any hdmi - dvi-d adapters that actually work for what I am wanting to do?

I have searched and people say to get an active adapter but no one has actually said they used it personally

you're going to need dual link DVI-D, not regular DVI-D, to get 2560x1600. Regular DVI-D can't output a signal that high, and a lot of those early 30" monitors would only run in 1280x800 on a single link DVI-D connection. So a cheapo $10 adapter (a "passive" type) won't work, as that only gets you a single link. Even if they claim it's a dual-link cable - the signal won't be magically split into two links by the cable alone (some places say dual-link because the cables have all of the pins needed to be dual-link, but it doesn't mean they actually work).

For a converter to dual link DVI-D, you'll need an active adapter - as you've mentioned you've been told. It's the only way to convert the signal to one the monitor will take.

That said, you'll also need to make sure that the HDMI output on the laptop can drive a resolution that high before going and looking for an adapter. I think it needs to be HDMI 1.4 capable.

And that said, I don't believe any such adapters exist. Though I could be wrong - I couldn't find any with a quick google, but they might be out there somewhere.

Often there is option depending on laptop model/brand to buy dockstation with extra ports for it. Not cheap, but it was how i added DP for higher res external display output to my dell lattitude e6520, when found that built in hdmi was limited to fullhd.

I did a little more googling and it appears the answer to your question is, no, you will not be able to get it to output 2560x1600@60hz over that HDMI connection.

A few posts I found referenced people using a passive cable and creating a custom resolution, to do 2560x1600@30Hz on the HP 30" screen or the Dell 3011, but it didn't properly function most of the time. Plus they were limited to 30Hz.

If you want to be able to use it with your monitor, it may be less hassle to return it and get a different laptop model. If you can.

Back