Dell 3007 and 6800 ultra OC

Will a BFG 6800 Ultra OC be enought to run the new Dell 30 incher?

• YES

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • NO

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MYPEARL

Limp Gawd
I have a BFG 6800 Ultra OC, will it work on the newest dell monitor, 3007, the 30 incher?

At native rez with poor framerate? Yes
or......
Lower resolutions with eye candy with decent framerates but loss of clarity? Yes.

What do you want out of it?

Does the 6800U have a dual link DVI port? I was under the impression that only Mac editions of the card did...

who the hell needs aa on a 30" monitor. Yes a 6800ultra has dual dvi.....i have one. And no latest games wont play smooth at native res even lower than native....unless you run it really low at like 1280x1024 or 1024x768 with black bars on the side........not to mention the horrid IQ you would be experiencing with such a downclocked resolution. Usually when people get 30" displays they dont plan to game on it, ide imagine you'd be upgrading every 5-8 months to keep games running/looking good, not to mention probably needing sli or maybe 4xsli? :D
And seeing you have a 6800ultra oc, almost a 2yr old card i dont think you would like to do so. I would say invest your money in a smaller quality display that your video card can uphold for a while.

The 6800 Ultra only supports up to 2048x1536. The 3007FPW is 2560x1680, if I'm not mistaken. It's not powerful enough to drive the monitor. You'll need a card with dual-link DVI.

rahavsmt said:
You do know that dual dvi and dual link dvi is a different thing, dont you?
Apparently he doesn't. It won't work, buddy. :( You'll have to find yourself a new graphics card to go with that new LCD.

Perfect answers, what I read is that "im on crack, dont even try it" and thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you for your comments and saving me the money!

best regards

K10 said:
are there any AGP cards that can handle 3007's resolution?

yes, but you'll have to look into the ATI FireGL line or the nVidia Quadro FX line, both of which are professional cards that, if you go with and equivalent card to a 6800 or better, will easily run you over $1000

6800Ultra will not support over 1920x1200 on dvi. all cards except for the dual link apple version AFAIK only have single link dvi ports. That would defeat the purpose. So now to obtain this you have to use VGA, to get to the higher res which defeats the purpose. Now on vga your limit is 2048x1536 @ 75hz. Either way on a 6800U you can't get the native res which defeats the purpose of buying the monitor in the first place and gaming on any high end game e.g. fear cod2 quake 4 will be a slide show. With sli or Xfire you'll probably get 35fps consistent. Gaming will not be there yet until after these coming refreshes. Maybe G80/R600 will be the sweet spot for these pannels.

Back