Dell 3007 and 2005fpw side by side

Man, you guys need to stop posting these pictures. My Credit Card hand is starting to twitch.

Dr.Makavelli said:
Whoa that is big, but i would not exchnage that with my 2405 ;)
I would, especially if it was a free exchange. I give you my 2405 (which i don;t own :( )and you give me your Dell 3005 :p
Or on the otherhand why not get the 37" Westinghouse? The bigger the better right...? And it's cheaper

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Or on the otherhand why not get the 37" Westinghouse? The bigger the better right...? And it's cheaper

The Dell has higher resolutions, which may or may not make a difference to you. Personnaly, i would rather have the Dell.

seniorpaul said:
The Dell has higher resolutions, which may or may not make a difference to you. Personnaly, i would rather have the Dell.
For me it makes all the difference in the world, which is why I wouldn't even consider the westinghouse. In fact I don't see any other reason than the res to be interested in this monitor. All these people looking for sheer physical size should go look elsewhere.

Edit: Actually that didn't sound quite right. Of course there's plenty more to like about this monitor but if you don't need the ultra high res, you'd be a fool to lay down the cash for it.

are you sure thats not a 19" on the left hand side, it looks awefully small in front of the 30".

Jesus Crist .........
Ulrick28 , i want to ask you a favor cause i am about to order one of them ,
honest with our hand on your heart....what are the pros and cons of the 3007 compare to 2405(lets put the size aside)
Colors , clarity , response time the way you feel about those things like you speak to our litlle brother who's asking your advise....
Thanks in advance for your time you going to spend ............

OMG...my 17 looks tiny now.

I NEED MONEY!

(I'd gladly take that 24" LCD off your hands

Woah, I would probably not even find my "My computer" icon on the dekstop on that thing! :O

How do games run at the 3007's native res?

edit: do they?
edit2: Specifically Quake 3, Quake 4, Doom 3, Battlefield 2 and Half-Life 2... if you have them?

skeeder said:
OMG...my 17 looks tiny now.

I NEED MONEY!

(I'd gladly take that 24" LCD off your hands

Thats not a 24" next to the 30" he said it was the 2005 next to the 3007. Sweet monitor though, im in love with my 24" though :)

:eek:

It's like back in the day when you put a 15in LCD next to a 2001FP.

Simply amazing! :)

Urick can you do me a favor and put the 2005 vertically next to the 3007 like in this picture. Id like to see how well they align together :D

Only thing I dont like about it is, theres no way you can play games native (new games like fear and bf2) without dropping the money on like SLI GTX 512's

justin82 said:
Only thing I dont like about it is, theres no way you can play games native (new games like fear and bf2) without dropping the money on like SLI GTX 512's

Hence my post, let's see what games actually run at that res
I believe BF2 and the Doom/Quake Variants have the capability, but do they play acceptably? :p

ScHpAnKy said:
Hence my post, let's see what games actually run at that res
I believe BF2 and the Doom/Quake Variants have the capability, but do they play acceptably? :p

Ya and even more games gonna be supporting those resolutions. I can't wait to try out HL2 with that res when I get the 3007 and.....a 7900GTX 512 card!! :D Yes, I mean 7900 not 7800. The 7900's are due in march. I know the 7800's can play the games at the native res at acceptable frame rates with some of the eye candy turned off. And surely the 7900's can do even better.

So far I've only tried EQ2, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and Lineage 2.

EQ2 - Runs fairly well with max textures at 2560 x 1600. Haven't tried with AA but it will most likely come to a crawl if I turn on AA.

City of Heroes - Runs well at 2560 x 1600 with 16x anisotropic filtering. Turning on AA immediately makes the game very choppy.

World of Warcraft - Runs very well at 2560 x 1600. It runs pretty well with AA (around 30fps) I get 45 without AA. This is with all features on and at maximum settings.

Lineage 2 - runs pretty well at 2560 x 1600. AA definitly takes a toll on framrate but it's still playable.

AA seems to take the biggest hit in games at that resolution. It makes sense because that is a lot of pixels to sample per frame in order to do 4x AA.

I do have many other faster action games I will have to try tonight/this week.

The 2005 has been sold to a friend so I can't do any more comparisons with it. The 2005fpw seems to have a better response time than the 3007 (not a lot better, but it is noticeable). This is odd since technically the specs are better on the 3007 (12ms for the 2005 vs 11ms for the 3007). My roommate likes the color of the 3007 better though.

The biggest problem I have had is drivers. With my 7800 GTX 512 the 'beta' drivers specifically for the 3007 do not work (82.12), but the released drivers that don't mention the 3007 do (81.92).

Overall I am extremely pleased with the monitor. The 24" monitors apparently have a lot more expandability but I use the living room tv for DVD, consoles, etc.

I bet X3 would look beautiful on that thing. A shame that it would perform like a dog even w/dual GTX512's.

I think this monitor might be "ahead of it's time" as far as gaming @ native resolutions comfortably goes, especially w/eye candy all the way up.

Ulrick28 said:
The 2005 has been sold to a friend so I can't do any more comparisons with it. The 2005fpw seems to have a better response time than the 3007 (not a lot better, but it is noticeable). This is odd since technically the specs are better on the 3007 (12ms for the 2005 vs 11ms for the 3007). My roommate likes the color of the 3007 better though.

The bigger the screen, the more drastic the response time needs to be cut back to prevent ghosting

do you even need AA @ 2560x1600???

I mean can you tell the difference between no-AA and AA when actually playing the games, not screenshots, but real gameplay.

Yes, you can tell a difference between AA and Non AA at that resolution.

Depending on the angle of the line it can look just as stairstepped as a lower resolution. Also as you move around the polygon angles will change as well. Without AA you will get a sort of shimmer effect along the edges of objects, trees, etc. AA tries to simulate as straight a line as possible and this helps remove the shimmering effects. It's most noticeable along contrasting colors. The image just looks cleaner and stabler when AA is on (even at 2560 x 1600)

However, without AA it still looks amazing.

Ulrick28 said:
Yes, you can tell a difference between AA and Non AA at that resolution.

Depending on the angle of the line it can look just as stairstepped as a lower resolution. Also as you move around the polygon angles will change as well. Without AA you will get a sort of shimmer effect along the edges of objects, trees, etc. AA tries to simulate as straight a line as possible and this helps remove the shimmering effects. It's most noticeable along contrasting colors. The image just looks cleaner and stabler when AA is on (even at 2560 x 1600)

However, without AA it still looks amazing.

Honestly, at 1680x1050 and above, whats the fucking point of AA anyway?

As I quoted above you still have shimmering problems at 2560 x 1600. Remember you have a higher reolution, but you also have a larger space to fill that resolution with.

The difference is noticeable. It some games more than others. City of Heroes looks a LOT cleaner with AA on at 2560 x 1600. World of Warcraft the difference isn't as noticeable.

Of course you can tell the difference. The pixel pitch is still the same (well, smaller than on most displays, but still fairly regular @ .25, which is what I have on my 20"). It would be different if it were 2560x1600 on a 20" display or something. THEN you probably wouldn't need AA anymore.

Ulrick28 said:
As I quoted above you still have shimmering problems at 2560 x 1600. Remember you have a higher reolution, but you also have a larger space to fill that resolution with.

The difference is noticeable. It some games more than others. City of Heroes looks a LOT cleaner with AA on at 2560 x 1600. World of Warcraft the difference isn't as noticeable.

How does the monitor look/scale at non-native resolutions, lets say at 1920x1200 or 1680x1050? For 4:3 content, is the 3007 capable of fixed scaling (black bars on the side)?

SSlaytanic, I think it would just take some time getting used to, I went from a Square 19" CRT to a 23" Apple Cinema Display. Sure it took a month to get used to it but now I can't live without it. I'm sure you had the same situation when you upgraded to the 2405 unless you had a monitor of the same size.

Back