Dell 30" Ultrasharp for 2010

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Does Dell plan to release a new 30" Ultrasharp monitor? IE 3010WFP.
All I've heard about so far is the 2410 U.
Are they also changing the designation of their ultrasharp line from WFP to U?

Does Dell plan to release a new 30" Ultrasharp monitor? IE 3010WFP.
All I've heard about so far is the 2410 U.
Are they also changing the designation of their ultrasharp line from WFP to U?

You have the U in the wrong place, U2410, U2710, U2210, with the "U" signifying UltraSharp.

All current internal Dell documents I have seen seem to be expressing models this way.

Tim

Lots of folks are curious about a new 30". Several comments have indicated that LG needs to have full prod of a newer 30" panel (due Aug) first before the monitor can be built around it.

So probably sit tight and be patient are the watchwords here :) But doesn't hurt to ask once in a while too!

Lots of folks are curious about a new 30". Several comments have indicated that LG needs to have full prod of a newer 30" panel (due Aug) first before the monitor can be built around it.

So probably sit tight and be patient are the watchwords here :) But doesn't hurt to ask once in a while too!

LGD is "late" in delivering the new IPS panel, HP has has has its new 30" on its roadmaps for the last 18 months.

Tim

Oooh interesting. Would like to see how the new 30"s turn out. Will the panel be IPS based or SPVA?

Weird, ok so all ultrasharp products are now denoted by a prefix U?
So U2710 and U3010 would be the designations for the new 27" and 30" Dells respectively? And info on what kind of panels will be going into those? You did mention that LGD is tardy in delivering their new 30" panels? But is it known the specs on that panel already?

Where is this information about a new 30" panel from LG coming from? I haven't seen anything about that. It's true that their current panel has been around for two years already, but Samsung's current 30" panel has been around for three years...

I think that the IPS and PVA technologies underlying those panels matured, and I don't see a technical advancement related to those technologies that would justify a new panel. Even if they release a new one for some reason, I don't see how the differences could be anything but minor.

A more exciting development, in my opinion, would be the introduction of an even larger and higher-resolution monitor LCD panel, say 3840x2400...

Weird, ok so all ultrasharp products are now denoted by a prefix U?
So U2710 and U3010 would be the designations for the new 27" and 30" Dells respectively? And info on what kind of panels will be going into those? You did mention that LGD is tardy in delivering their new 30" panels? But is it known the specs on that panel already?

Chris M. in the Dell forums, has already mentioned a U2710, no other details; one can suspect or very well guess that this would be the "final" Samsung S-PVA dump (from the 2709) to IPS as is the case with the U2410 (from 2409 S-PVA).

LGD seems to have some new unannounced IPS display panels, like the 23" (as going to be used in the NEC), a few versions of 22", and 24"; so a 27" and/or 28" IPS panel does not seem out of the question. Also Samsung has do nothing with S-PVA really in the last three years, same 24", and 27" panels.

Tim

Where is this information about a new 30" panel from LG coming from? I haven't seen anything about that. It's true that their current panel has been around for two years already, but Samsung's current 30" panel has been around for three years...

I think that the IPS and PVA technologies underlying those panels matured, and I don't see a technical advancement related to those technologies that would justify a new panel. Even if they release a new one for some reason, I don't see how the differences could be anything but minor.

A more exciting development, in my opinion, would be the introduction of an even larger and higher-resolution monitor LCD panel, say 3840x2400...

If TV panels can keep advancing in contrast ratio and such, I would think computer ones could as well...

monitor LCD panel, say 3840x2400... I think i should like it! nice to read little font :eek:

My which list for next Dell 30" LCD
1) Full RGB LED & Local dimming
2) H-IPS
3) $2K
4) 1 HDMI + 1 DVI (or 2 DVI)
5) Very low input lag at native resolution
6) Mate screen
7) Advanced picture setup options (Greyscale and CMS)

My which list for next Dell 30" LCD
1) Full RGB LED & Local dimming
2) H-IPS
3) $2K
4) 1 HDMI + 1 DVI (or 2 DVI)
5) Very low input lag at native resolution
6) Mate screen
7) Advanced picture setup options (Greyscale and CMS)

My changes.

3) Less than $2k haha
4) HDMI + DVI + DP
5) Lower input lag

My changes:

5) No input lag at native resolution. The 3007WFP-HC can do it, why not the latest offering? If this can't be done without sacrificing something, then at least give it a Game Mode with no input lag.
6) Choice between glossy and matte screen.

Here's what I would value in the next Dell 30" LCD
1) LED Backlighting!
2) Real contrast of at least 1000:1
3) Minimal anti-glare coating.
4) Low input lag (Similar to 3007WHP-HC).
5) 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Display Port

My changes:

5) No input lag at native resolution. The 3007WFP-HC can do it, why not the latest offering? If this can't be done without sacrificing something, then at least give it a Game Mode with no input lag.

The 3007 didn't have a built in video scaler like the majority of monitors do because at the time there wasn't anything that could handle the resolution. The advantage was no input lag the disadvantage was that it couldn't handle many different resolutions besides native.

The 3007 didn't have a built in video scaler like the majority of monitors do because at the time there wasn't anything that could handle the resolution. The advantage was no input lag the disadvantage was that it couldn't handle many different resolutions besides native.
There's actually no sensible reason that a scaler should add input lag. It should be able to take a buffer of several pixel rows, and resample those in real time, directly driving the LCD panel. The only reason they'd buffer a whole frame or more at a time is if they were lazy and wanted to "drop in" an existing resampling algorithm without rewriting it to work in real time. The exception is deinterlacing — that does benefit from buffering frames.

But allowing that LCD designers are lazy like this, the least they could do is detect native resolution and bypass the scaler.

Another reason for input lag might be to boost the response time. This is just speculation, but if the LCD buffered multiple frames, it might be able to use this information to do accomplish better overdriving. For example, a pixel that was meant to go from dark gray to light gray could be overdriven with bright white for 1 frame, but then with the target light gray on the next frame, making it reach the target light level faster and stopping it before it overshot. But I can't think of many situations in which this would be useful. LCD will always have motion smear even with instant response, so I'd rather have no input lag and a slightly slower response time. The only reason I can think of for manufacturers to do this would be to boast faster response times in their specifications; whereas the sane thing to do would have been to include input lag in their specifications and boast about that instead.

Last edited:
The 3007 didn't have a built in video scaler like the majority of monitors do because at the time there wasn't anything that could handle the resolution.
They offer a simple pointsampling algorithm (very good to see in 1280x800) without control regarding the aspect ratio. In terms of quality this is of course far away from sophisticated scaling algorithms with multiple oversampling.

Best regards

Denis

So i take it from this thread i should wait to purchase my first 30inch.

My desktop started acting up so thought i would hit the bank tomorrow and get a loan out and try to take advantage of black friday deals. and purchase the dell 3008WFP.

So i take it from this thread i should wait to purchase my first 30inch.

If you have a discerning eye for quality, I would say postpone that indefinitely.

The 30 inch LG IPS screen used by these monitors has the worse uniformity on the market, and there isn't any sign that LG has improved that in the last three years or so.

Also the white glow while tolerable on a smaller screen is quite noticeable and annoying on a 30" IPS.

I had a Dell 3007-HC for a few days before it was boxed and returned for a refund. I went with a 24" after this.

I won't go near a 30" LCD computer monitor again without a near universal declaration that they have fixed the quality issues that have been plaguing these panels for years.

TBH I would like to know when the OLED's are going to come out. I lost all my faith in all LCD's, IPS or TN, doesn't matter. Every LCD I owned (5 IPS'es) have backlight unevenness or color shift (the same color is not uniform).

OLED is a long way off for computer monitors. They have individual emitters for each pixel and they wear out over time and thus they are susceptible to burn in. At this time this is still VERY much an issue. Computer monitors are the hardest usage pattern for any screen with burn in issues.

We only now have the second model OLED TV screen just coming available now in Korea. It is 15" and ~$2500. That gives some idea how long the road ahead is.

LG said they expect to have cheaper than LCD OLEDs in 2016. Maybe burn in won't be an issue then because they will be cheap to replace.

The warranty on my LCD is up in 2012 and if it croaks then, I fully expect I will have to get another LCD to replace it.

Bottom line: Don't hold your breath waiting on an OLED computer monitor.

If TV panels can keep advancing in contrast ratio and such, I would think computer ones could as well...

These sorts of improving specs are total bullshit. They're all achieved with kludges like dynamic contrast.

If you have a discerning eye for quality, I would say postpone that indefinitely.

You clearly haven't seen a Samsung XL30 in action. RGB LED + PVA = beats the living shit out of the CCFL + IPS alternative.

More than anything, the white glow on the IPS panel really pisses you off on a big panel.

Last edited:
The shift is minimal to the point of irrelevance in normal use on the XL30.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

Most people have no issue with PVA shift, I am just in the unhappy minority that does.

I believe someone showed images before indicatiing this screen has typical PVA shift (why wouldn't it?).

Not that I would pay $4000 for a screen no matter how good..

These sorts of improving specs are total bullshit. They're all achieved with kludges like dynamic contrast.

LCD televisions have improved significantly over the past few years in terms of black levels, and not just through dynamic contrast.

I dispute that. I'd say things have ground to something of a halt in the past 18 months or perhaps a bit more if we're talking actual panel tech rather than dicking about with rubbish like dynamic backlight.

Last edited:
I'm definitely looking forward to the next big screen monitor I can purchase. It seems that even the new 27" imacs have uniformity issues though.

Back