Dell 2713HM calibration numbers...sound right?

w123

n00b
Hi there, long time lurker first time poster :rolleyes: :)

Anywho, recently did away with my Samsung S27b970d due to its terrible black levels and ordered a Dell 2713hm from amazon. Also ordered an Asus PB278q, idea being the one i liked the most i would keep.

Asus gets here in a couple of days but i did get a chance to play with the Dell. I'm in love with the construction of it, very solid and the stand is awesome, by far the best i've ever used. Out of the box i noticed its colors were quite warm, so I pulled out the i1display pro and got to calibrating. Calibrating with xRite's software, @ 6500K, 120 cd/m2, 2.2 gamma and manually setting the colors, i get a contrast ratio of about 780:1, which seems low compared to reviews i've read. Using HCFR i recorded a black level of .15 which was almost half that of the Samsung and i can make out all the black boxes at lagom, which is cool, since when i was using the samsung i couldnt see the first 3.

But i digress. Despite the much better black level, contrast is the same as the samsung, meaning the white saturation is off on the Dell i presume?

So trying an experiment, i calibrated at the native white point (ends up being about 6000K, so a bit warm) and get about 930:1 contrast ratio, far better. Is this normal? I tried dispcalgui and got very similar numbers as the Xrite software, so its not Xrite.

Is this just something im stuck with if i want a more neutral white tone?

I'm really curious about the backlight and glow on that DELL, could you post some photos? What rev is it? (I'm asking because you did not mention those issues, which is strange to me)

Are the blacks bad on Samsung because of the glass or is it a panel issue?
I'm considering buying a 1440 PLS.

I dont think i care enough to take pics of it in the dark like some people do. I never sit in the dark so i never notice it. All i say is that i cant see any bleed in normal use (games, movies, desktop setting).

In terms of the samsung, i think it might have been a bum panel but also the glass is a major factor because as some people on here have noted, it makes the blacks look grey. Do not recommend! I got samsung to replace the main board (twice because the first one was totally messed up with bad color tint) and after it wouldnt calibrate to 2.2 gamma (it would be more like 2.47) i got them to send me a check for what i paid for it.

I dont think i care enough to take pics of it in the dark

I know U2713HM is a great office monitor.
The thing is not all of us use office lighting in our rooms back home.

I also know most of them have backlight issues and I thought maybe you got a nice sample, thus the interest in the revision.

I got an A00 built Jan14. Panel is perfect, no dead pixels, or blb. I guess I got very lucky.

I ordered an A00 built DEC 2013.
I should get it to my door in about 4 hours. Will post first impressions.

I GOT IT!
The screen looks beautiful, no dead pixels, no obvious backlight bleed, minimal glow, no yellow/green tint.
Also, compared to the P2414H I can't seemn to notice any input lag or slower pixels.

I will post photos later on.
LE: http://imgur.com/sIigTUT

Vivia la resolucion!

Last edited:
Dell must've fixed all their panel issues. I've had mine for a couple of dats so far and it's running perfectly.

Back