Dell 2709W

Anyone know of ways I can compare price on this model of monitor? At dell.com it lists at 899.99.

After a long line of phone calls, I was able to find an offer of $869.99 + shipping and tax, totaling 947.64.

Is this a fair price?

Also, If I'm interested in this monitor, what other non-TN monitors at 24+ inch should I consider with comparable prices?

I'd like to run some light gaming and a lot of photo/video editing with this screen at 1920x1200.

Anyone know of ways I can compare price on this model of monitor? At dell.com it lists at 899.99.

After a long line of phone calls, I was able to find an offer of $869.99 + shipping and tax, totaling 947.64.

Is this a fair price?

Also, If I'm interested in this monitor, what other non-TN monitors at 24+ inch should I consider with comparable prices?

I'd like to run some light gaming and a lot of photo/video editing with this screen at 1920x1200.

Keep an eye out for Dell coupons on eBay. I saw a 20% off coupons on there last week.
They usually go for about $25 and will save you $180.

You may want to look into the Samsung 275T+ and or the 26" NEC.

Best of luck

Dave

^that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you so much.

I didn't know what monitors the dell 2709W competed with before your post. I'll check out both monitors you suggested and look for coupons.

The input lag (or as wikipedia calls it output lag) brings up a few questions, as I'm just learning about the topic -

Is 47ms as bad as what the example on the wikipedia article shows? With that kind of lag, dialogue sound would be about 1-3 syllables ahead of the displayed picture, which would make me want to take a hammer to the screen.

Is this something that is just on gaming, or is this a problem with playing videos and working on other types of programs? I do a lot of video editing and slide shows that require matching the beat of the music to key components of the displayed video, and I don't want my clicks to be late or early. Also, when watching movies, I don't want the delayed picture-to-sound problem I described in the previous paragraph.

Finally, is this common throughout large displays, or just the non-TN displays, or just more noticeable in Dell models? It is very difficult to find information on input lag, as many reviews don't mention it.

Damn,

I live in the Netherlands and I want to order this display.. but

When I look at dell.com it costs €830,- while the review on prad.de says it's available from €600,-.. that's quite a difference.

I guess I'll have to look out for an e-bay coupon. 830 euro's is far to much..

well its 699 now, I can get it for 600 through my work. Might be tempting.

Great prices. Still waiting for 10e's review.

It's currently on discount here in Australia for about a week. If you can 10e please give us your thoughts as they will probably be the determining factor whether or not I get this Monitor.

Sorry guys its through my works Dell account and right now I can only get one.

I could not resist; so I ordered one at a cost of $720. I had a 6% off coupon that I bought off eBay acouple of weeks ago and it stacked OK with the $200 Dell discount.

The price was too good to pass up.

Dave

Because I had little luck with finding coupons or gift cards on ebay that would substantially reduce the cost, and because of the initial price difference, I ended up with the Samsung 275T+, which from what I understand, has the same panel in it.

Hmmm... I'm having an issue figuring out what to get. The Dell is pretty good at $700, but I don't know about input lag. If I don't play games often, should I get this monitor?

or should I get the planar 26" or 275T+ samsung?

I ordered one yesterday but the ship date isn't until 10/8/08. I don't play a ton of games except World of Warcraft, but I'll let you know if I notice lag.

I just ordered one too with 6% AAA code and 4% DPA. I know its a PVA and has high input lag, but hopefully it isn't too bad.

I have noticed that the Samsung 275T+ really does have noticeable input lag. I wish I could say otherwise, but it is very noticeable on games. Outside of games, I can't seem to do anything to make it noticeable. Fast dragging of windows, sudden scrolling, mouse movement, etc. are all instantaneous. It's just the games that seem to suffer as far as what I'm capable of noticing.

Having said that, if you're not overly big on games requiring precision timing, this monitor has every other spec and benefit that you could possibly ask for. It is very much worth it for me, since I primarily use it for image and video editing, and I still have the old CRT for gaming if necessary. I'm talking about the Samsung 275T+, but since the Dell has the same panel and same limitations, I feel the comment is worthy of this thread.

$700 is a very good price in my opinion - I couldn't seem to get them below $947 after tax and shipping. (Dell web site price of $899.99 minus $30.00 phone rep. discount plus ship. and tax). Because of this I went with the Samsung through Newegg. If I could have bought the Dell at $700.00 I would have picked it up instead.

Can someone who has this monitor please confirm for me the specifications of the mount on the back of the monitor? I would like to know if it has the standard 75mmx75mm/100mmx100mm configuration. Thank you!

I'm on the brink of ordering this thing. I'm not overly concerned with gaming lag, but I am concerned with colors since I do Photoshop / Web Design. Is there a better alternative at this price-point around this size?

Dell USA has this on sale for $699 right now (ends wednesday morning).
Im so tempted. :D

Is the input lag that bad even for applications?

The input lag is imperceptible in normal desktop applications. You might however, feel a bit of lag when playing video games that involve quick responses.

For those of you looking to buy this monitor:

1. If you have good vision, you "might" notice the larger dot-pitch if you are closer than 21" from the monitor.
2. You will probably need to buy a colorimeter because the colors/gamma are way off.
3. Even after calibration, you may notice pink tint on the left and right sides of the monitor, especially if you reduce the default brightness (which is wayyyy too bright).

The text is sharper and with less halo once calibrated when compared to the 24" 2408WFP.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2408WFP, but then I realized this is only 20 bucks more. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't go with this 27" instead? Or does anyone know how I could get the 2408 for cheaper?

Thanks

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2408WFP, but then I realized this is only 20 bucks more. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't go with this 27" instead? Or does anyone know how I could get the 2408 for cheaper?

Thanks

The only way right now to get it cheaper is if you can get your hands on a coupon to take off a good percentage of the price. The sale on the 2709 ends tomorrow morning though and it will go back up to $899.

Im still thinking it over. :D

The 2409 is quite tempting. Must resist, just preordered the 5D Mark II. Must book more gigs.

Well I just ordered two of them for $630 each! I'm going with a dual monitor setup. I got the monitors at cost from a reseller I know. Darn good deal.

Thanks

I've seen the 2408 on sale for $599 about a month ago. I had both of the monitors at one point and decided on the 2709 because it had MUCH better text. With the new A01 revision for the 2408, however, you might get better input lag over the 2709.

I've mentioned it before but it's important to restate it again: While the 2408 has a pink tint or is "lighter", as some would say, on the left side, the 2709 has a more noticeable pink tint on both sides(at least with mine). You won't really see this at the default 50 brightness, however, because it is TOO bright, the more you turn down the brightness, the more pink tint you get.

I've seen the 2408 on sale for $599 about a month ago. I had both of the monitors at one point and decided on the 2709 because it had MUCH better text. With the new A01 revision for the 2408, however, you might get better input lag over the 2709.

I've mentioned it before but it's important to restate it again: While the 2408 has a pink tint or is "lighter", as some would say, on the left side, the 2709 has a more noticeable pink tint on both sides(at least with mine). You won't really see this at the default 50 brightness, however, because it is TOO bright, the more you turn down the brightness, the more pink tint you get.

interesting...

Oops :D

Anyway,
Is this pink tink viewable over just a specific color or is it there over everything?

Noticeable in white or light gray backgrounds. So if you're websurfing, chances are you'll be noticing it.

Aw crap!
And i thought input lag was the only thing i would have to put up with. :(

Back