Dell 27" vs Westinghouse 37"

Okay,

After reading plenty of reviews, most of the complaints against the Dell 2707 was its dot pitch which made text "choppy" and that 27" was too large for its resolution (1920x1200). Now, maybe I missed the boat on something but, wouldn't the Westinghouse 37" be even worse since it uses the same resolution with a greater area? People/reviews complain about the 2707's dot pitch but not the Westinghouse's, can someone explain this?

Thank you,.

The difference is the intended audience, really. The Westinghouse was marketed as a TV, and was one of the very first sets to be true 1080p. Thus, people were stoked that they could get that big of a display, with PC inputs (DVI), with that high of a resolution, since the previous best was what 1366x768 or something like that. So basically, it might have been a bit grainy, but people went into it expecting that, and it was still head and shoulders above the competition.

The Dell is marketed to a different crowd. It DOESN'T have the greatest resolution out there for a computer monitor, the Dell/HP/Apple etc. 30" panels have that. Most people think that the 27 should have the same resolution as the 30", not the 24". However, people that dislike the Dell for that reason only are the same people who are waiting for LED backlit screens, i.e. the people that are never happy with current technology. I highly doubt any reasonable person would find the 2707 to be grainy, it's still a resolution greater than any HDTV out there, and think about how much people rave about HDTV feeds, and most of those (i.e. all sporting events, NFL, NBA, etc.) are shot in 720p, not even 1080i (This allows for a higher framerate, which is better for "action" type events) Granted, you're sitting a lot closer to the 2707, but not enough that you should ever notice a difference. Any graininess will be because of the poor quality of your input signal, not because of the panel itself.

It depends on the use. Go to a photo forum and you don't see many people asking about Westinghouses. The Dell would be fine for a lot of things but they aren't as good for looking at nice photography as the price might imply (and price has been the biggest complaint about the Dell since it was selling for more than the Dell S-IPS 30"). If an NEC 26" S-IPS or Dell 30" S-IPS is around the same cost as 27" then that's what photo people will prefer compared to a 1400 S-PVA with big gamut. Of course some people deviate from the mean but in a forum like dcpreview a Dell 27" is hard sell. I would get a Westy before a Dell 27" personally. They look like fun and I don't mind a big monitor for some things.

Westinghouse without question. Great picture , tons of inputs, bright and color accurate. not to mention 10 inches more display. Frankly i think the dell 27 inch is a rip off. Its the same damn price as the 30 inch yet lacks its resolution. Why not get a 30 inch if you are gonna spend upward of 1600+ dollars?

Because it doesn't have a hardware scaler? Because older games that some people play like the MechWarrior 3/4 series and a number of other game titles don't support resolutions that high, so you can't always play at the native resolution, which is obviously going to look the best? :) A number of reasons actually, it just depends on one's use and/or what types of games they play. That was the deal killer for me on the 30" displays and the deal killer for me with the Westy is not supporting the mid-range resolutions of 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, which some old game titles only go up to those resolutions. So that pretty much leaves the 27" displays or less at this current time. Under my required criteria of course. :)

I play KOTOR2 at 1280x1024 on the Westy and it looks fantastic. That res seems to be nearly ideal on the westy for games that don't support widescreen.

Back