Dell 27 Ultrathin Monitor Really Lives Up To Its Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dell is coming out with a new 27" ultrathin monitor that you have to see to believe. The trick to getting the monitor so thin was moving most of its hardware into the base instead of behind the screen like other monitors. The crazy thin monitor is expected to ship later this year and cost around $700.

The 27-inch Quad HD (2,560 by 1,440 pixels) screen also supports HDR, though Dell was quick to note that it's not the same as HDR standards you'll find in 4K TVs. Still, the company says it'll support higher contrast and color range than most consumer monitors, with support for up to 99 percent of the SRGB gamut. The screen also pivots on its stand, which lets you adjust its angle.

So....Lets move everything into the base to have a super thin looking panel...That sits on the desk. Oh, now that we moved everything into the base, forget about getting your own base/stand....VESA? Whats that? You don't need that. Now lets charge way more money for moving everything into the base and adding the word "ultrathin".

Pointless without possibility to VESA mount it.

Yep.

Had this monitor been only the panel, and still that thin, I would give major props, but moving everything into the base doesn't do anything but remove options and function at a higher price. People will buy it though I am sure, it does have the word "ultrathin" in it after all.

Who mounts a MONITOR on a wall if your using a desktop pc?
My biggest concern would be how hot that base may get from hours of use. I don't see any venting on the top of it.

My biggest concern would be how hot that base may get from hours of use. I don't see any venting on the top of it.

Lots of people, and there are many VESA desk mounts, that have far more adjustment than pretty much any desktop mount. It also clears desk space and looks much cleaner.

My Samsung 27" S27A950D looks just as thin and I've had it for years:

samsung_3d_2011.jpg

Big fan of Dell monitors - (have an S2716DG and U2715H side by side)

Both mounted on a vesa swingarm so I have it floating and fully moveable above my desk. Don't care how thin it is, no vesa = no deal. Probably doens't have 144Hz or Gsync either so I see nothing special about this monitor other than upgcharging for a "sexy" product stupid people will buy.

So....Lets move everything into the base to have a super thin looking panel...That sits on the desk. Oh, now that we moved everything into the base, forget about getting your own base/stand....VESA? Whats that? You don't need that. Now lets charge way more money for moving everything into the base and adding the word "ultrathin".

R&D isn't cheap, yo. Do you know how much effort and money we spent to save pennies of the LCD panel itself?

Yours sincerely,
Dell

Umm, one of my monitors at my desk right now is mounted to the wall via an articulated mount. Lots of people do that, of course not every mount needs to be a "wall" mount either, as there are plenty of desk mounts as well.

As far as the base, I doubt it really generates much heat seeing as how the backlight isn't in it(I assume that's where most of the heat output from a monitor comes from(yeah there's the power supply but is it really that much?).

This is for people in offices who insist upon everything looking as fancy as possible, that's it. It doesn't matter to most [H] people if the monitor is a quarter inch thick, or 2 inches thick so long as it does its job properly, but we aren't the market for something like this.

Form over function.... I'm surprised it doesn't have an Apple logo :D

What's the point? When I'm in front of my monitor I don't know its thickness, but I sure can notice I can't wall mount it because everything is in its base...

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say. Get rid of bezels completely and you'll have my attention.

Yes and look how much more room you have on your desk with shaving a quarter inch off the thickness. This charging you more for less material being used needs to stop. Using less material is all abourt cost saving for the Manufacturer, aren't they suppose to pass those savings on to us. Sorry that was in years past, got ahead of myself. Sucks to get old.

So, does the base have VESA mounts on the bottom, and does the mounting arm fold over so that the base can sit against the back of the monitor for wall mounting?

PS to whoever asked "who wall mounts a desktop monitor" I have on a fully articulating arm and it is glorious

Yeah, I was just going off the post that talked about wall mounting it and didn't even think of a swing arm mount type of thing.
I should have quoted that for better clarity.

They're obviously targeting the aesthetics crowd with this. The people who want useful innovations would rather have really small bezels (a few pixels) instead.

I don't understand the price. It should be about $300-400 TOPS. At Best Buy right now, they have a 55" HDR 4K Samsung TV with more inputs and a smart TV CPU for $750. I don't want either one, but I just don't get the prices. Economy of scale? Maybe, but I don't know anyone with a 55" TV either.

Reactions: Uncle
like this
My mom wanted something like this a many many years ago (had to be close to 15 years). Was a Sony and only 14" but just as thin with the same concept of the hardware in the base (and over $1000). Kinda wish I still had it, was a slick little monitor.

Would be super easy to fabricate a tiny bracket to mount this to the wall but I see this as pointless. If my office is so small that I need to shave .009845 off my monitor thickness, its time to move on.

How Apple-ish of them.

I like it, but for $700 I want to know what it REALLY gives me in terms of extra performance, reliability, etc... at that cost. If it's the same as a $199 monitor, I'll take the $199 monitor.

$700?!?!?

Fuck that. I'd rather spend significantly less on a good quality 1440p 144 Hz or 4K display of the same size.

Pretty sexy. Now how about a 40"+ 4K version that costs less than a used Honda?

As others have pointed out, why the big deal about thinness? I mean, it's cool, but not something I'd pay a premium for. I'm much more interested in screen size.

But to each their own.

But the good thing: Tech does keep getting faster, and smaller. Need/want will hopefully point the way.

Damn, seems like I need an upgrade. Will this have a panel lottery as well?

Damn, seems like I need an upgrade. Will this have a panel lottery as well?

Back