Dell 2408wfp really not that great? 2209WA Better?

ibanz85

n00b
I was in the market for a new monitor to upgrade to coming from an old 1280x1020 19" 4:3 Hanns-G that I bought for cheap several years ago. My budget is $200-250 for hopefully something decent. I was looking at many 24" TN panels trying to find the "best of the lot". I ended up coming across a (what I thought was) great deal on a brand new Dell 2408wfp A02 for a great price (paid $235 after shipping!).

So I have the box now unopened and i'm reading through sites and it sounds like many people love to criticize this monitor. I was planning on keeping it because I thought it was supposed to be a fantastic monitor but now it seems like people say "If its not IPS its garbage". I'm not sure anymore whether to open it up and keep it now as I could most definitely make some profit on resale to perhaps put towards my current monitor budget or even just for my pocket. My computer use consists of gaming, streaming movies/TV shows and the mostly heavy internet use.

Let me preface my question with saying I am a very budget minded person. I NEVER buy things at a premium unless the quality is far superior and plainly just has a longer lifespan.

As for my question: Will I appreciate this monitor more so than a 2209WA which I can get for essentially the same price as this on eBay? (Plus have $150 extra in my pocket) Ive got no problem losing the extra 2" of screen, Im just looking for a quality monitor for best price I can find. Perhaps for my use you think I would be just fine with a 24" TN display?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm going to go a bit off topic but you should be aware about Dell's warranty.

In order to get any warranty done on any LCDs under 28" you must provide the original Dell order number. Serial number and manufacturer date means jack shit to Dell. If you try calling them for warranty they will run you through a many loops with India tech and they will constantly ask you for a service tag number which you can not provide. They will then just forward you to another tech person and eventually you will come across one with half a brain that realizes LCDs under 28" do not have a service tag number.

Back to the point is... if your buying these Dell LCDs off of ebay or some seller other than Dell. Be aware you will NOT have any warranty unless the seller can provide you the original order number (don't count on that happening).

If you want to buy a Dell LCD I suggest you buy it from Dell during a sale.

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can do about getting the order number from the person I purchased from.

Alright, So I received the order number and purchase information from the person I bought from so I should be straight with the warranty.

Still looking for any advice from owners of both panels. Without factoring in the 2" size difference. Is the 2408WFP A02 worth $150 more than the 2209WA in terms of features, PQ and build?

I don't own either monitor so I'm not going to be of much help, but having seen them in person, S-PVA panels like those in the 2408wfp are not garbage IMO. I like IPS better, but black crush/gamma shift issues aside, PVA's are still pretty good. It would also be worth to keep in mind it's not only a 2" difference in size but quite a big resolution difference too. You get a lot more real screen estate on the 24". On the other hand, PVA is generally slower than IPS both in terms of pixel response and input lag so the 2209WA is probably the better monitor for games. I'm sure people with first hand experience with both monitors will be able to tell you more :)

Avoid dell at all costs.

I tried purchasing a 2408WFP and every single one they sent me was defective. Even after I had shipped back the monitors back to Dell, it took them 45 days to refund my money.

I recommend going with a vendor who actually cares about the customer, Dell's india tech support is a NIGHTMARE. Good luck getting anywhere with those idiots.

After that experience and a bad experience I had with their XPS laptop line, its safe to say they won't be getting any more of my business.

I have a 2408WFP and also went through the same issue (I was trying to decide whether I should return it and just get the HP 2475W). I ultimately decided to keep it because I really do like it. I'm using it with 2x Dell 2007WFP's (S-IPS) and while you can definitely tell a difference between the PVA and the IPS, it wasn't big enough to warrant paying the extra money for the HP. I'm actually really in love with my Dell 2408 now =) Hope that helps you with your decision.

I had 2408wfp, U2410 and 2490wuxi. Also i have used 2209wa.

2408wfp
-------------
1. Backlight heterogeneity. (depends on the unit you receive)
2. Horizontal color shift
3. Input lag
4. S-PVA

2209wa
--------------
1. Backlight heterogeneity. (depends on the unit you receive)
2. Tint problems (depend on the unit)
3. Sparkle effect
4. 22inch (vs 24") - Less working area
5. IPS
6. Blacks are not good as 2408wfp.
7. IPS white glow.

I would go for 2408wfp due to additional 2" and less grainy coating.

However unless you get Dell's original order number dont purchase from anywhere except dell. Also note that the warranty counts from the original date of purchase. Not the day you purchase from ebay.

Back