Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Sorry for posting in this thread, but thought since many are unhappy with the Dell, I was hoping they might have some alternatives (I had searched before posting).

Is this Dell rep aware of all the other problems with the 2408 right now too? I didn't see any responses by him in other 2408 threads on that forum :(.

Is this Dell rep aware of all the other problems with the 2408 right now too? I didn't see any responses by him in other 2408 threads on that forum :(.

He responded to pretty most of the newer threads that existed around 8:30pm tonight. I don't know what they're "aware" of b/c I'm not them. What are "all the other problems' you speak of? Pink or green tint? Common defect and Dell will replace it. Uneven backlighting? Defect and Dell will replace it. Input Lag? "Feature", nothing can do about it. Unable to resume from sleep on some video cards? Researching w/ a few known workarounds.

Look harder?

He responded to pretty most of the newer threads that existed around 8:30pm tonight. I don't know what they're "aware" of b/c I'm not them. What are "all the other problems' you speak of? Pink or green tint? Common defect and Dell will replace it. Uneven backlighting? Defect and Dell will replace it. Input Lag? "Feature", nothing can do about it. Unable to resume from sleep on some video cards? Researching w/ a few known workarounds.

Look harder?

There are oh, about half a dozen problems with these screens, if you'll take a moment and look at these forums. I should not have to have play the replacing game with such common problems. Yes, input lag is one and yes they can and should fix this. The 2408 definitely has some common problems, including those you mentioned. They need the A01 more available and an A02 out.

Here is possibly a very good reason why there is more input lag on the 2408, in relation to its bigger brother:

"For starters, this is the first Dell 2560x1600 LCD to include a hardware scaler. That allows it to support multiple input options, rather than being limited to dual-link DVI. The hardware scaler may also introduce some input lag - something we will be sure to test when we receive our review sample. We do know that of the LCDs we've tested so far, the lowest input lag so far comes on the 30" LCDs we have."

http://anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=429

I have a fetish with Dell 24" LCDs. Not the ExxxWFP line, but the higher end ones. I'm about to splurge money on a 2408, but the issues can't be that bad, right? I'm a gamer.

I have a fetish with Dell 24" LCDs. Not the ExxxWFP line, but the higher end ones. I'm about to splurge money on a 2408, but the issues can't be that bad, right? I'm a gamer.

Some people hate it, some people love it (like myself). You can see my impressions and review a few pages back. Albovin posted a very thorough review of the monitor linked in this forum.

Some people complain that the input lag is horrendous. I don't notice anything in that regard (and I'm a fairly hardcore gamer).

You'll have to just read the posted impressions and reviews and make the decision yourself.

I don't _hate_ mine, but I think I would be happier with something higher end, certainly from a colour perspective.

The input lag I noticed, but it all depends on a) what monitor you were using before b) how sensitive you are to it.

But I could probably _live_ with the input lag, it's quite large, but you may get used to it over time.

The biggest issues for me are the red tint (which is a fault, it's not on all monitors) and the screen text sharpness. Which is said to be addressed in the next revision of the monitor (A01) so you might want to wait for that to come out.

That's my honest opinion on this monitor.

So if you're a gamer upgrading from a naff monitor, this will more than likely be a good buy.

If you're a designer and are very sensitive to display issues, then I'd either wait for a later version or look at higher (more expensive) monitors.

I was thinking of getting one of these. But after reading this entire thread I'm freeked out. I've got a windows box that I use for general purpose work and some gaming and I'm thinking of adding a Mac Pro. I would get the Cinema display but it only does 1 input. Bah I just can't find a monitor.

jason

I've been using mine for 24 hours.

I'm a webdesigner and a photographer. Used to be a hardcore gamer - competitively for years - but these days I hardly touch them.

My thoughts? Default colours are way off, but setting to Custom RGB and leaving at 100,100,100 seems pretty accurate. I intend to get a calibrator on to it soon.
Colour shift & viewing angles are good, much better than I expected (I didn't know what to expect from an S-PVA panel).
Blacks and greys are excellent!

Input lag is pretty bad. This is not a screen for the serious gamer. If I were, it would be on it's way back to Dell right now. In fact, it affects my mouse navigation quite noticably - I find that I sometimes have to readjust the path of the mouse pointer several times from point a to point b, as I'm not getting up to date visual feedback on it's path. It crossed my mind whether or not I think it's acceptable for me to use over the next 5+ years; it is, but I seriously considered it.

It's an excellent idea to build a card reader into a monitor. Monitors are the longest lasting piece of computer hardware, so turnover is a non issue. Also it reduces desk clutter (not having a card reader on your desk).
Couple the card reader with a four port USB hub and you've got a great feature. The card reader essentially makes it a 5 port USB hub too (for people that would otherwise have a card reader anyway).

I don't have any of those other reported issues - red tinge on side or bottom, shadows or halos around text, blurry text, excessive banding on gradients .. none of that.

Contrary to MattGorner, I think it's a fantastic monitor for designers (Matt had the red tinge issue).... just get it calibrated.

Input lag is my one and only issue with this screen.

I don't have any of those other reported issues - red tinge on side or bottom, shadows or halos around text, blurry text, excessive banding on gradients .. none of that.

Contrary to MattGorner, I think it's a fantastic monitor for designers (Matt had the red tinge issue).... just get it calibrated.

Raymo, the red tint is a fault, not a calibration issue, I calibrated mine with a Pantone Eye-One Display 2 device, but it's still there, hence my sending it back, this might also be the reason for the banding on gradients, maybe they're related?

Unless you've got an A01 revision, the over-sharp text isn't necessarily a fault, but bad preset settings in the firmware, and is present on ALL A00 revisions, try setting sharpness to 75%, you'll see what I mean. I still see that at 50%, now try setting it to 25%, you should also see what I mean by blurry text. But it all depends how sensitive you are to such things.

I've been using mine for 24 hours.

I'm a webdesigner and a photographer. Used to be a hardcore gamer - competitively for years - but these days I hardly touch them.

My thoughts? Default colours are way off, but setting to Custom RGB and leaving at 100,100,100 seems pretty accurate. I intend to get a calibrator on to it soon.
Colour shift & viewing angles are good, much better than I expected (I didn't know what to expect from an S-PVA panel).
Blacks and greys are excellent!

Input lag is pretty bad. This is not a screen for the serious gamer. If I were, it would be on it's way back to Dell right now. In fact, it affects my mouse navigation quite noticably - I find that I sometimes have to readjust the path of the mouse pointer several times from point a to point b, as I'm not getting up to date visual feedback on it's path. It crossed my mind whether or not I think it's acceptable for me to use over the next 5+ years; it is, but I seriously considered it.

It's an excellent idea to build a card reader into a monitor. Monitors are the longest lasting piece of computer hardware, so turnover is a non issue. Also it reduces desk clutter (not having a card reader on your desk).
Couple the card reader with a four port USB hub and you've got a great feature. The card reader essentially makes it a 5 port USB hub too (for people that would otherwise have a card reader anyway).

Yeah, input lag is a problem if you also want to enable Vsync. I got used to it, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as responsive as without it. Hardcore players probably never enable Vsync anyway lol :D

Raymo, the red tint is a fault, not a calibration issue, I calibrated mine with a Pantone Eye-One Display 2 device, but it's still there,
Mmmm I know the red tint is a fault, not a calibration issue. When I said "just get it calibrated", I was saying that to everybody, and it wasn't meant in the context of the red tinge.. that's partly the reason why I put the red tinge comment in brackets.

I did see the artifacting around text on the 25% or 75% sharpness setting, but with the settings at the time atleast, the default 50% looked good. 25% and 75% seemed acceptable too I think, but I can't recall if it was one or both. I am dead against any kind of monitor "sharpening" anyhoo; it sounds like more trouble than it could possibly be worth.

FYI I was reading today on a popular hardward review site have been sent a recent copy of the 2408wfp and that Dell had pulled the first review sample sent to them saying it was a pre-production unit. So we should have a review soon, maybe its time to gather questions up and send them to Anand before the review is published.

Moto

A good input lag test is this mouse speed game:

http://www.fetchfido.co.uk/games/mouse_speeed/mouse_speed.htm

Try setting a sub 20 sec time on Level 5 with a 2408wfp! :D

Heh! I just did it in 50 seconds, but I've just been playing with the mouse sensitivity and acceleration, and thus don't feel at all comfortable with my mousing at the moment.

The input lag really does suck, even just for my use (strictly design; I don't play games). I still love this screen though.

FYI I was reading today on a popular hardward review site have been sent a recent copy of the 2408wfp and that Dell had pulled the first review sample sent to them saying it was a pre-production unit. So we should have a review soon, maybe its time to gather questions up and send them to Anand before the review is published.

Moto

How do we get this to Anandtech for sure? Just send them the all-important question... "What is changed from the A00 version to A01" if they have an A01. Or ask at least if any problems are being looked at for an A01 revision fix.

They should fix 3 things in new A01 for me

1. Input lag - should be less than 30ms :)
2. Better settings in sharpnes (10,20,-100)
3. Colors - reduce red color and little green in factory modes, turn up colors a little in sRGB mode.

What mode you are useing in colors ? I set to sRGB and little turn up colors in nvidia drivers

They should fix 3 things in new A01 for me

1. Input lag - should be less than 30ms :)
2. Better settings in sharpnes (10,20,-100)
3. Colors - reduce red color and little green in factory modes, turn up colors a little in sRGB mode.

What mode you are useing in colors ? I set to sRGB and little turn up colors in nvidia drivers

We should probably ask about A02, since A01 is out already we just don't have any... and ask about what WAS changed in those too :p.

The sharpness IS being looked at for sure, I know that one... so 2. is covered. They are going to change the firmware increments to 10 percent.

Can someone do me a favor, whoever has this monitor and a Xbox 360. Can you set your 360 to the default theme and connect your 360 via HDMI or VGA or even Component and take a picture of any of the 360's blades (besides the Marketplace blade)? Thanks! This'll confirm whether I buy this monitor or not, thanks again!

Regarding the questions for Anand, he has a running LCD thread, I'm sure if you post your questions there he will get wind of it, but please come back and post any new info you find :)

Moto

I have the same problems like every body else. Colors to saturated, very hard or impossible to calibrate, blurry text, inconsistent HDMI menus (unless the monitor is turned on/off)

Just noticed that, looking on some ones else monitor, or my notebook monitor, the text seems blurry, soft, like trough fog. My eyes seem to adapt to the sharpness problem of the Dell monitor. I just hope it's reversible and it won’t damage my eyes permanently. Anyway, i still get a headache and nausea after about an hour of use. Unfortunately this is my work computer.

The only ~usable mode is Desktop, by the VGA input. Turned down saturation trough ATI control panel, which does not work in HDMI mode. Brightness is 5, Contrast to 40.

Dells french speaking support is terrible. I had to talk to 13 different persons and 1 hour in line, to get in touch with the right tech guy. They exchanged my monitor, but the new one has almost the same problems. Called again Monday, wanted a refund, but they refused (apparently in Europe we pay extra price for no refund), so wanted the tech support, but "my" tech guy was busy and they promised to call me back. No call, so i called Tuesday... same, they will call me back in one hour, finally the tech guy called me Wednesday.

He told me that after a session of, "let's inform my self of what the hell i am doing", he learned that DELL knows about the problems. He does not know about a new revision, however there will be a new firmware and apparently the users will be able to install it them self. I don't know who to believe now, DellChrisM from Dell forums is pretending that there will not be user firmware updates.

Anyway, I am giving them a week to find out a solution. After that, i will beat the crap out of them for refund (figuratively speaking).

He does not know about a new revision, however there will be a new firmware and apparently the users will be able to install it them self.

I would be very very surprised if there is any update possible by the end user as and when there is a new revision, or any "fixes".

I just got my 2408 (rev. A00 - March). I ordered it April 9th and got it the 21st. So far this monitor has exceeded my expectations. No dead pixels, and I haven't noticed any strange colors although I haven't done any specific testing.
A problem that I do have is that the monitor doesn't save any changes that i have made in the menus. Things like running my HDMI (Charter TV) at 1:1 instead of fill, or my PIP settings, every time i open a new PIP, I have to change the source though the menus. That seems kinda strange. Perhaps I am somehow not saving them when i use the menu, im not sure:confused: Does anyone else have these menu saving problems?

I just got my 2408 (rev. A00 - March). I ordered it April 9th and got it the 21st. So far this monitor has exceeded my expectations. No dead pixels, and I haven't noticed any strange colors although I haven't done any specific testing.
A problem that I do have is that the monitor doesn't save any changes that i have made in the menus. Things like running my HDMI (Charter TV) at 1:1 instead of fill, or my PIP settings, every time i open a new PIP, I have to change the source though the menus. That seems kinda strange. Perhaps I am somehow not saving them when i use the menu, im not sure:confused: Does anyone else have these menu saving problems?

The issue of not saving settings from the menu has been with the monitor since the 2407 non HC, I had the HC briefly but sent it back with a day or two and didn't have a chance to test it. It would be nice if you could save the settings, or actually have several user modes.

Moto

Im going to try picking this monitor up again in a few months and see if they work the kinks out.

New comments from the Dell forum rep indicate that a new revision should start showing up on or around May 20 (for the US).

See here

I don't know what to do!!!! I want a new display and i'm not sure to purchase this monitor or BenQ fp241W... What do you think? I can buy the benq or the best choice is wait for 20th May???

Thanks so much!!!

They need to address the two firmware quirks;
Changing the input changes the PIP/PBP input and using PIP/PBP changes the aspect setting.
Both get reverted back to their default setting.

But, the biggest issue is both edges are brighter than the rest of the screen especially the left side. I have had two and both were about the same.

Is that BenQ a non TN panel? What is their return policy?

They need to address the two firmware quirks;
Changing the input changes the PIP/PBP input and using PIP/PBP changes the aspect setting.
Both get reverted back to their default setting.

But, the biggest issue is both edges are brighter than the rest of the screen especially the left side. I have had two and both were about the same.

Is that BenQ a non TN panel? What is their return policy?
Nope, it's a TN panel. I think it's a three year warranty.

I don't know what to do!!!! I want a new display and i'm not sure to purchase this monitor or BenQ fp241W... What do you think? I can buy the benq or the best choice is wait for 20th May???

Thanks so much!!!

I've seen very favorable reviews of the BenQ FP241W, however, the monitor is since been discontinued, so if you can find it anywhere it'll be on what I call a "2nd rate" site... returns/warranties may be questionable on those.

I would have bought the BenQ otherwise. Dell, NewEgg, Buy.com are just a handful of those sites I trust on something like this that I may need to return for any number of reasons. That is why I am holding out hope for a Rev. A01 of the Dell 2408WFP, otherwise I may settle for the Samsung 245T. Unfortunately they both have high input lag, and it hasn't been addressed on the Samsung yet either, so that may be a stuck issue.

If the Input Lag is ANYTHING like my old wireless mice felt (I could feel a perceptible "lag" when moving the mouse around, even at a regular pace), then I don't want this monitor... I hated those mice (they were Logitech two-button scroll wireless mice, I think the MX510 or something...).

If all else fails I may settle on a monitor from NewEgg, either the HP LP2465 Carbonite-Silver 24", or the NEC Display Solutions ASLCD24WMCX-BK Black 24".

Back