Dell 2405FPW can it be used with the PS2 ?

Well i tried doing it and i managed to get my PlayStation 2 to work with the monitor.

However it was in PIP mode and it was a rather small size in my big screen.

And there was no sound.

I was looking over at http://www.widescreengamingforum.com for help but didn't find anything.

Any help to a fellow 2405fpw owner would be kewl ;)

well, for the sound, from what i know, that monitor doesn't have built in sound.. so you would have to run the audio cables (red and white) to a stereo of some sort

2405 should work close to perfect with a ps2.

First things first I would recommend you get a component cable (as opposed to a composite cable) which can be found at best buy for 10-20 bucks depending on if you get a generic or the offical sony etc. This is the red green blue connectors that are used for video only. They do not include sound. This will improve picture quality on the 2405. If you want to skip that step, simply plug in your composite cable (the yellow one) into the 2405.

For audio as the above poster said you will have to get speakers. This can be done any number of ways. I personally would recommend a receiver, but if that's not in the budget just get a female RCA (red and white) connector to a female 1/8" inch jack connector and plug that into either speakers or amplified headphones (with some sort of volume control).

That should be it.

Thx fellow [H] friends.

I updated my reply with more info.

VGA->DVI->S-Video->Component

It shows on composite only when i plug in the yellow wire.

Also, it only shows under pip or pbp mode, not when it is on off mode. Their both tiny boxed displays on my wide screen. I was hoping it to show on the whole monitor.

Am i doing something wrong?

the sound thing ah. I have a Creative S750 Gigaworks 7.1 surround sound analog speakers. So will that work ?

On another forum they recommended to get a component cable (as opposed to a composite cable) which can be found at best buy for 10-20 bucks depending on if you get a generic or the offical sony etc. This is the red green blue connectors that are used for video only. This will improve picture quality on the 2405 FPW.

And as for the sound.

For audio as the above poster said you will have to get speakers. This can be done any number of ways. I personally would recommend a receiver, but if that's not in the budget just get a female RCA (red and white) connector to a female 1/8" inch jack connector and plug that into either speakers or amplified headphones (with some sort of volume control).

What receiver do you recommend and what are amplified headphones ? I got 3 headphones for my pc.

*update.

I'm using DVI atm, and i got the ps2 to show the whole screen by selecting swap, then i turn off pip and pbp.

I tried Monsters Inc and Final Fantasy X-2. The FFX-2 intro fmv it lagged and took a very long time to move to the next frame. What is that ?

I set my monitor's refresh rate to 60.

Yes when you only plug in the yellow cable it will only show up on composite. Component is a different set of cables mentioned earlier. If you were watching Monsters INC and playing FFX2 and there was visual bluring slowing down or degridation the component cable can help some of those problems. I wish there was component on the 2005fpw, as it is I'm stuck with s-video but that improved picture quality, component should be able to do that further. You cannot set your refresh rate when playing with it on your ps2, much like you cannot change a regular TV's refresh rate.

Lastly for audio, yes the creative gigaworks can work fine. However it might be difficult to find a solution to plug in your speakers to both your computer and your ps2 simlutaneously. Receivers can do this sort of thing and there are a wide range of them going anywhere from $100-$10,000 which is very broad. If you're interested in this sort of thing having a budget of how much you can spend is very important. Like I said before though, you could connect the ps2 by using a cable that has female RCA (red and white) connector to a female 1/8" inch jack connector and plug that into either speakers or amplified headphones (with some sort of volume control).

When I said amplifed headphones I was referring to regular headphones connected to an amplifier. I sugjested that method because having some sort of volume control I felt was crucial and I'm not sure exactly how much the RCA jacks from a ps2 push. Headphone amps usually range from $50-$150 for something basic, those can also go up to a couple thousand depening on parts etc. Of course this means you have to be wearing headphones when you're playing your PS2 (to get sound anyway).

I have a ps2 setup with the 2405 at home. I plug my audigy 1 sound card using digital out plug, and my ps2 using optical out into my creative 5.1 system. I think the newer audigys have optical for your pc? if so maybe find a decoder with 2 optical plugs.

for sound you will need either a dell sound bar, amp/reciver or connect tosound card. i personaly use an old 5.1 amp i got off ebay for £50 (yamaha A5) you should be abel to use the creative speakers, mabe you should get splitters so you can have pc and ps2 connected same time.

as for the ffx-2 intro could be number of things, scratched discs or even not selecting the component output in the ps2 set up screen

is it just me or does the PS2 look pretty bad on the 2405?
i tried hooking mine up with component and playing some Tiger Woods 2005.
it was pretty jaggy, not very nice at all. am I setting it up wrong or something?

anything less than 720p will look like crap on it, but yea the ps2 should work not including sound of course. You can use component or rca cables

I'm glad I found this topic! I've been looking so hard, someone please help me...

I have 2 2405's hooked up via DVI. I want to use one as a part time PS2 monitor.

Now, I've read this whole topic, and I'm still a bit confused...for now I've got a composite video cable plugged into the composite video slot, with the red and white connections just dangling.

Someone please re-explain the sound issue again...explain it like you would explain it to a three year old.

I don't have any component cables, but I can go out and buy some if that's what is needed, but if this can work with composite, that would be great.

So anyway, I've got a composite cable. Yellow plugs into the monitor. Please explain to me, very clearly if you can, what I must buy to plug into the red and white part. I'd like it to plug into my current sound system...I really don't want to buy new speakers, though. One set is enough.

You can full screen the PS2 by choosing to run it in 4:3 ratio fill mode, but it will look like crap. I tried it on my 2007wfp. The res is too high on the 2007wfp, that if you full screen it, the ps2 just looks like a blurry mess. You need a next gen system for these high res monitors.

As for sound, you need to hook it up to your soundcard, but you will need an adapter like this. Then you plug this into the blue port on your sound card and plug the red/white cables into it. Obviously though this isn't long enough for your ps2 cord to reach, so you will need something longer, but this is just an example of what to look for.

pRS1C-2265730w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...wCatId=2032058&kw=y+adapter&parentPage=search

Xenogears! My favorite RPG...

How about this: I get a red/white cable extender (does that exist?) and plug it into that device you posted. Will that affect signal?

EDIT: I don't see it in the specs; does that device take away the stereo sound? I see it fits two stereo plugs, not sure if it affects sound.

Thanks so much for that! Gonna have to head over to microcenter tomorrow and buy stuff...

Providence said:
Xenogears! My favorite RPG...

How about this: I get a red/white cable extender (does that exist?) and plug it into that device you posted. Will that affect signal?

You don't need to. There are cables long enough to reach. I just couldn't find a picture of it that quick. I'll post one. I just need to find it. Heh honestly, I don't think it takes away the stereo sound as that's a stereo adapter and not a mono one, but I haven't tried this yet. I will use an adapter like that when I get a 360 though, but the 360 sound cables will be long enough to reach it, unlike the ps2 ones.

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help...I just checked and my 7.1 sound card has that blue port you mentioned...as it should I guess, but I don't know much about sound.

So excited! Finally one 2405 can play games and the other can browse Internet/watch TV.

Providence said:
Awesome! Thanks so much for your help...I just checked and my 7.1 sound card has that blue port you mentioned...as it should I guess, but I don't know much about sound.

So excited! Finally one 2405 can play games and the other can browse Internet/watch TV.

Before you get all excited, have you actually hooked up your ps2 to your monitor yet and looked at the video quality? Cause it will look like crap due to the high res of the monitor. It is pretty blurry and is the reason why I leave my PS2 hooked up to my standard tv, but if you can deal with the blurriness, then the setup should work. This is not a PS2 example, but if you don't want the blurriness, then the PS2 will look like this as it will maintain it's original resolution, instead of filling the screen, which causes the blurriness.

1000031mediumvr5.jpg

Providence said:
Yeah, it looked beautiful. There just wasn't any sound...'cause, you know...

Wow really? The PS2 looked pretty bad on my 2007wfp. Maybe I was sitting too close and it might have looked ok, if i sat far away from my monitor.

Maybe it's the monitor? The 2405FPW is the most superior gaming monitor I've ever used. It handles shadows in games like Doom 3 flawlessly, just like a CRT. Hell, I love it so much I bought a second one to use on the same system.

Anyway, I just need to go out and get that Y-jack you posted. Radioshack is right next to Microcenter, which is where I need to get my USB remote...tomorrow is going to be a fulfilling day.

Edit: Just saw the pic. I see what you mean, but even at full screen there's no noticible distortion. Maybe it's just the game? I might try a few others.

You could try to find a longer version of this. Just make sure to have the right plug as this pic is a 1/4inch plug, but you need a 1/8 inch plug to plug into your soundcard, but I couldn't find a pic of that.

AV84101.jpg

Or you could try to find an extension cord for the original adapter.

80730253.gif
+
pRS1C-2265730w345.jpg

Then again, I've never tried any of this stuff yet, but it should work in theory. :D

xenogears said:

Starcraft actually doesn't look too bad stretched. Both "fixed aspect ratio scaling" and "display adapter scaling" are too blurry, and centered is just a bit too small.

Mav451 said:
Starcraft actually doesn't look too bad stretched. Both "fixed aspect ratio scaling" and "display adapter scaling" are too blurry, and centered is just a bit too small.

Yeah starcraft doesn't look too bad as I tried all ways and it looked ok.

1000029mediummc5.jpg

1000028mediummf0.jpg

Okay, thanks again for the pics...it'll give me an idea of what I should ask for tomorrow. If I can get my camera to work tomororw, I might take a few pics of the working system! G'night.

I can now confirm that the adapter does indeed work cause I bought one today and you get stereo sound out of it. You just need to make sure you buy a stereo adapter and not a mono one. I also have an extension cable lying around cause I have my comp hooked up to my tv and plugging the adapter into that also works. So if you can't find a long enough cable, I would just get an extension cord with the adapter. The PS2 sounded fine to me, but sound is a subjective thing.

untitled2zb8.jpg

untitledir7.jpg

I bought that exact same module at radioshack and I'm not getting any sound...I put it in the blue port on my sound card, but I can still only hear the regular sound.

Am I doing this wrong? Here are some pictures of poor quality...sorry, computer is in a bad place and I'm not good with pictures.

With cables:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/2601/cablesle6.jpg

Without cables:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1352/withoutmj9.jpg

Again, I'm not good at editing stuff...but anyway, there's no sound. I ran the RCA sound through some cables that go to that Y jack you posted earlier (got the same model) and put it in the blue port on my sound card, but nothing. Broken card, or is there a setting? Thanks again...

EDIT: In the blurry pic, in case you can't tell, yellow cable to yellow port, black cable to black port, green to green, bass to pink (it was in blue, I just moved it over...probably why bass is never too strong...) and the Y adapter in Blue. Orange is empty.

Oh! Oh! Sorry for the double post, I fixed it...I looked in my advanced audio properties and my line-in audio was muted...now everything works great!

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3429/finishedaq5.jpg

It's a bit blurry, but that's the camera and my lack of photo-taking skills...it's more than passable to the human eye.

Thanks for your help everyone! Especially you, Xenogears! You and your game rocks.

Back