dell 2405 v 3007

clayton4115

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
79
hi all

because the 3007 has a higher resolution does this mean that you can see more on this monitor compared to the 2405?
 
yes because of its higher resolution the 3007 will give you far more desktop space
 
ok im not sure if your familiar with Flight Simulator, but i just want to know if i would 'see' more of the cockpit panel in a 30" than a 24" i mean not BIGGER but more like sides of the panel / cockpit using a 30".

thx
 
ie have a look at this picture

what im after is more of the left and right hand side, not necessarily a larger picture.

my.php
 
Both screens have the same aspect ratio, so I wopuld think you'll see the same amount of cockpit. The 3007 will need a much more powerful video card to (ideally, you need tow cards in SLI mode) drive it well, however. Oh, and it also needs a card with a dual link DVI, port, just FYI.
 
You really need more than two cards in SLI for that resolution... you need cards that don't exist yet.
 
Ugh. You could run it on integrated video. Flight sim = easy to run. LCD upscaling != teh suck. Im sick of people acting like running any app at non-native will make your computer shit itself. It will look a little bit less crisp, but when you have 4 megapixels you dont really need to worry. Buy a video card according to what games you want to play at what resolution, dont worry too much about what your native resolution is, despite what everyone on this forum will tell you.

Oh and you need to change FOV to see more on the sides, not a bigger or wider screen. Wider screens will only help wider FOV's be more accurate. I recommend www.widescreengamingforum.com
 
peacetilence said:
You really need more than two cards in SLI for that resolution... you need cards that don't exist yet.

Are you speaking from experience, because I would disagree with that. I'm running a 3007 at native in CS Source and Oblivion with a single X1900 XTX. In the former it run fine with 4x AA. In the latter I'm running aith HDR on and AA off, and it's not exactly liquid smooth, but it is spectacular and it is extremely playable. Consequently, I'm pretty confident that another X19 in Crossfire mode would handle Oblivion very nicely indeed.
 
well what im really after is to see more of the cockpit, the side views on one monitor, so does anyone have any solutions to this?

thanks for all your feedback on upgrading video cards etc but i am well aware of that.
 
clayton4115 said:
well what im really after is to see more of the cockpit, the side views on one monitor, so does anyone have any solutions to this?

thanks for all your feedback on upgrading video cards etc but i am well aware of that.

Read stelleg151's post on FOV above.
 
thanks i currently have a 2405 running at 1920 x 1200 so if i increase the FOV i will see more cockpit?
 
clayton4115 said:
thanks but this is all for FPS games i dont play, i havent seen a hack for FOV for FS.

The game that are mentioned are irrelevant. The general formula for equating the FOV is the same.

Here is a program converting FOV: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2765

All you need to know is the default FOV for your game and the resolution you are playing at.

Truthfully I didn't know any of this FOV/resolution stuff until I stumbled onto your thread. Investing 15 min & following stelleg151 helped me find the answers you were looking for. Of course this is if you want accurate FOV to go with your resolution.
 
if you are big on FS why not go for multi monitors to have more in the peripheral view?


As for my comment, 1920x1200 is really pushing it for gaming resolutions. It's already non standard and enough games out there don't support it. Anything higher is overkill IMO unless you want to upgrade your video card every time a new game comes out. I strongly considered buying a 3007fpw but it's lacking all the (most likely useless) extra features of the 2405FPW and it's resolution is impracticle for anything other than desktop work (which I could actually benefit from..) for pure gaming I am waiting to get a 1080P HD display that is 40-60"
 
thanks pardon my ignorance but i think the with MSFS you basically cant change the FOV as ive just looked in the cfg file for FOV or similiar and there is nothing there.
 
peacetilence said:
As for my comment, 1920x1200 is really pushing it for gaming resolutions. It's already non standard and enough games out there don't support it. Anything higher is overkill IMO unless you want to upgrade your video card every time a new game comes out. I strongly considered buying a 3007fpw but it's lacking all the (most likely useless) extra features of the 2405FPW and it's resolution is impracticle for anything other than desktop work (which I could actually benefit from..) for pure gaming I am waiting to get a 1080P HD display that is 40-60"

I play at 1920x1200 all the time with my system. Admittedly not all with AA. I also use all but the composite input on the 2405, component for my 360, s-video for my VCR. Want a 3007 but cant live without the inputs of the 2405, coz i dont have room for both a monitor and tv in my room. Until they bring a new version with the extras, i'll hold off. Oh, and because i've only had this monitor for about 6 months. When they bring out a new version, i'll buy one and have a nice dual monitor setup.
 
Back
Top