• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell 2405 Questions

Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
22
I finally saved up enough cash for this beast of a monitor 3 months ago or so and ended up missing out on the deals for it. I have been very eagerly awaiting this purchase and can hardly take it any longer!

I have done extensive research on the monitor and have found that it will best suit my needs(atleast I think, unless you guys know of something else). I will be using it for movies, games, photoshop, web surfing, possibly even watching TV on it. I seriously considered the 37" Westinghouse, but I can't justify the cost at this point, even the 2405 is going to leave very low on cash for a while. Anyways, I have quite a few questions concerning this monitor.

First of all I will be hooking this monitor up to my Dell XPS GEN 2 Laptop. For TV watching I of course will need a TV tuner. From the research I have done it will have to go in the same slot I have my sound card in (SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook). I wish there was a way around it, but I suppose not. I suppose it is either have crappy onboard sound and watch TV or no TV and good sound with whatever else I am doing unless maybe you guys know of something, I hope : )

Next thing is the 2405 isn't HDCP compliant. This has been a huge determining factor for me. I am still tying to hold out on purchasing the 2405 and trying to wait for the (rumored) I thought 2407. From what I have read it nothing has been confirmed yet.

Today I found the 2405 at Costco.com for $880 shipped. Not a bad price. A little better than getting it directly from Dell, but the reason I am highly considering buying it from Costco is because of their absolutely wonderful and insane return policy. Buying from Costco is basically like a rental of the item. You can keep it as long as you like and return it whenever you wish and get every cent of your money back or if a new model comes out just exchange it for it.

So my intention is to buy the 2405 from Costco and then when and if the 2407 is released I will take it back and get it replaced. If for some reason the 2407 isn't released then I can just get my money back whenever I like or keep it. Ahhh, I love Costco.

Do you guys think this is a wise investment? Also, do you think that this monitor will suit my needs as stated above or is there something I should hold out for, like the 42" Westinghouse to be released so hopefully the price will drop on the 37" and get that or waiting for SED or anything else new that I should be concerned about? Sorry for all the questions, this is just a big investment for me and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
 
Nocturnal418 said:
I finally saved up enough cash for this beast of a monitor 3 months ago or so and ended up missing out on the deals for it. I have been very eagerly awaiting this purchase and can hardly take it any longer!

I have done extensive research on the monitor and have found that it will best suit my needs(atleast I think, unless you guys know of something else). I will be using it for movies, games, photoshop, web surfing, possibly even watching TV on it. I seriously considered the 37" Westinghouse, but I can't justify the cost at this point, even the 2405 is going to leave very low on cash for a while. Anyways, I have quite a few questions concerning this monitor.

First of all I will be hooking this monitor up to my Dell XPS GEN 2 Laptop. For TV watching I of course will need a TV tuner. From the research I have done it will have to go in the same slot I have my sound card in (SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook). I wish there was a way around it, but I suppose not. I suppose it is either have crappy onboard sound and watch TV or no TV and good sound with whatever else I am doing unless maybe you guys know of something, I hope : )

Next thing is the 2405 isn't HDCP compliant. This has been a huge determining factor for me. I am still tying to hold out on purchasing the 2405 and trying to wait for the (rumored) I thought 2407. From what I have read it nothing has been confirmed yet.

Today I found the 2405 at Costco.com for $880 shipped. Not a bad price. A little better than getting it directly from Dell, but the reason I am highly considering buying it from Costco is because of their absolutely wonderful and insane return policy. Buying from Costco is basically like a rental of the item. You can keep it as long as you like and return it whenever you wish and get every cent of your money back or if a new model comes out just exchange it for it.

So my intention is to buy the 2405 from Costco and then when and if the 2407 is released I will take it back and get it replaced. If for some reason the 2407 isn't released then I can just get my money back whenever I like or keep it. Ahhh, I love Costco.

Do you guys think this is a wise investment? Also, do you think that this monitor will suit my needs as stated above or is there something I should hold out for, like the 42" Westinghouse to be released so hopefully the price will drop on the 37" and get that or waiting for SED or anything else new that I should be concerned about? Sorry for all the questions, this is just a big investment for me and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

1. Nope. For best sound, your stuck with either the Audigy 2 ZS PC card or the USB equivalent for best sound.

2. The 2407 WILL have HDCP compliance on it. I won't get into a huge fest about this but it boils down to, will you be watching Blue Ray, HDVD and HD content on your PC on a regular basis? If so, and you purchase a 2405, your SOL, Windows Vista *when you upgrade* will not allow broadcasting of HD material on a non HDCP compliant montior.

The 2407 is expected Feb/March and expect a higher price point, low initial qualites and VERY possible, early tech problems *cough* 2005fpw anyone?*

3. If thats truely the case with Cosco, then by all means, go for it.

Ultimately, NONE of us can decide this for you. YOU have to decide what you wanna spend, what you want the monitor to do NOW and in the FUTURE.
 
HAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAhAAHHhAHAHAHAHAA

I fucking THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD OMG SADBJbdfbafb vdsfvasdfvasbhdvbkavbjkfd

i bought my 2405 2 weeks ago from costco..com and with tax and everything i paid almost $1100 and 2morrow i will take my recipt to costco and get my $120 back....


HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man i love this monitor, i only play vido games and it fucking rox, and now from cotsco and i am gonna get my 120 LOL i could not ask for anything more, seriously, just go get that damn monitor, you gonna love it.

:) :)

Try calling dell and say i want my 120 back LOL
 
Thank you for the quick reply!

1) I must have worded what I said wrong(sorry for that). What I meant to say is I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook currently in my laptop. Do you know if I will I be able to use the TV Tuner with the SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook because from what I heard they both are supposed to be plugged into the same PCI slot on my laptop which would mean I couldn't have both.

2) I most likely will be doing those things on a somewhat regular basis. If Costco didn't have the monitor I would definitely be holding out for the 2407. Hmm... expected Feb/March, not too bad, but ya you are right it probably will have some problems early on.

3) Ya, Costco is amazing. My friend bought a laptop a few years ago and returned it within 6 months and exchanged it for a new one for free. He has had about 4 laptops and it only cost him buying that one laptop to start it out.

Essentially the Costco return policy is "within reason". So, if you wanted to you could say buy a monitor or television now and then in say 5 - 15 years or so when a new technology comes out or if you want your money back or whatever you can do that. How Costco makes money, I don't know lol. However, because of abuse of the policy they changed the return policy on notebook and desktops so they have to be returned within 6 months, hence why my friend gets a new laptop for "free" every 6 months.

I advise anyone who wants this monitor now, but is still hesitant on purchasing because it is not HDCP compliant to get it from Costco, because you will have nothing to worry about. Hell, you could buy the monitor and say you aren't "satisified" with your purchase in 3 years, just take it back and get CASH as long as you have your receipt lol.
 
Glad I could be of service Dr.Makavelli and yes

ROFLMTLKSJKLGj alk OH SHYT LMAO gjksdjakgjaklg k

:p ;) :D

COstco is SO SWEet /bow /dance /dance /bow , WOOOT WOOT


On a more serious note, Dr. Makavelli you sir just convinced me into buying the monitor along with the help or Sir IceWind. I must be a damn fool being convinced by you, Naa,,, JK lol, u guys RoCk (I am so excited I am getting this monitor) It is going to be like CHRISTMAS in my house soon.

I have been lingering around these forums for the past 3-4 months and I finally decided to register today. Boy, was I stupid. What was I thinking, or not thinking for that matter...
 
AMEN

But you see not many people think wise. And i am not one of them.

I paid $1100 for my 2405, i don't care if i could buy for $700 from ebay, because i rather spend lil bit more and know that in 3 years i will get a new monitor/new technology, but since i am goning to get my $120 back, thats gonna be $980.
 
HAHAHAHA...oh man you make me laugh

I'm a damn collage student, i don't even have $5 buck in my wallet, but thats gonna change 2morrow morning, haha. ;)

before i got this 2405, i have been using a pos dell 17" crt fot 5 years LOL

Definatly get it, as soon as i put the order, the monitor was at my door in 2 days.
 
Yes, you think wise!!!! Look what you are about to do tomorrow. That is very wise. We are fricking geniuses. HAHAHAHAHA WE rock. Dang, I am excited. :p :D :) :D

Honestly, just thinking about Costco's return policy either gives me goose bumps or a slightly larger buldge in my pants than I already have or sometimes BOTH!
 
You make me laugh too man. SEriously, I am laughing my ass off. I am a college student too, broke as hell(about to be). Luckily, I have $20 in my wallet LOL. It won't last for long since I have to fill up my damn gas tank tomorrow. Right now I am using a 17" screen which happens to be my laptop.

I have probably seen 85 fricking movies with Netflix on my tiny 17" screen in the past 5 months. 24" will be a dream come true!

And my GOD , you got it in 2 days. WTF... when I read the bottom of the page, I thought it was going to take forever saying how it might take 15 days to process before it even shipped (for computer stuff, it wasn't real clear though). I have yet to order from costco.com, but I have bought quite a few things in the store itself.
 
I've got to stay out of this fourm, damn 2405 is tempting

I have to repeat to myself that my 2005 is big enough (I know I'm lying to myself)
 
O.K.

How did you get it for $880 from Costco. Was it in-store deal or online at costco.com?

For me, it shows for $879 + tax and shipping. This adds up to well over 900.
 
From online, tax = $82 and waste fee = $8 so $970

You cannot beat that knowing each year or whenever you want you can get new monitor.
 
Back
Top