Dell 2405 has flickering lines?

Naka

n00b
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I searched and couldn’t find anyone that has documented the same problem I am having.

I just got my 2405 about two weeks ago and absolutely love it. There is only one problem. It seems that when I don’t run applications (specifically my web browser) in full screen, at times I get strange flicker lines that extend the horizontal lines on the webpage.. This seems to happen more often on web pages that have lots of horizontal lines such as this forum for example. It does not happen when I have the window maximized nor does it happen every single time I view the page. It is very hit and miss when it happens. When it does happen, if I minimize the window the desktop, it goes away.

At first I was annoyed so I called dell and got a replacement monitor. My second one does the exact same thing. Its not that big of a deal I suppose if its normal and other people are having problems, I just want to know if I should try for a third from dell or not. For those interested I am running at native resolution on a GeForce 6800 Ultra via DVI.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

After 2 I might have to at least start to suspect the graphics card of trouble. Reinstall drivers, if possible try another card if all else fails. Sorry bro. I have not had this issue nor heard of other having that with this monitor.

I'm getting a second one because of 2 dead pixels and I also complained the backlight seems to be uneven. While true it doesnt bother me much, but 2 pixels wasnt enough for the first guy I talked to so I had to take it up a notch. Can I ask if you were 2 for 2 the monitors on that front? My replacement should be new, but still gotta worry especially about replacements.

I'm pretty sure I've read other people had similar problems and it was always driver related. If you haven't already, try using the alternate DVI port on your video card and try updating (or even backdating) your video drivers.

FWIW, I have a 6800 Ultra and a 2405fpw and it is flawless.

Thanks! I switched the DVI port and now I dont seem to have any issues at all. Very odd. Thanks for the idea, now its perfect!

Also make sure you don't have any wireless recievers too close to the monitor. My friend had the reciever for his MX1000 mouse right under his 2105FPW, and it was causing wierd lines across the monitor before he realised what it was.

Naka said:
Thanks! I switched the DVI port and now I dont seem to have any issues at all. Very odd. Thanks for the idea, now its perfect!

I've seen this flickering happen on 3 2405's when using the d-sub input only. It's most noticeable with black text on white background.

Pushing the autoadjust button (+) usually clears it. A few times I've had to cycle the input selector, then use autoadjust a 2nd time.

Back