• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell 2405 FPW questions.

vat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
343
Hi, I am planning to purchase one of these monitors and I was wondering if I could plug a VCR or DVD player on this monitor without having to turn on the computer to watch movies? And where would the sound come from if I don't turn on the computer?
 
Yes you can. The monitor allows switching of input, so computer could be one... standalone DVD player could be another.

EDIT: Technically with PIP or PBP you could use both simultaneously.

As for sound, you would connect the sound directly to your speakers. Of course if you're using a PC sound system, you'd have to swap cables between your DVD player and your computer (for instance) or find some other work arorund.

If you are using a Home theater setup, a receiver fits the bill nicely.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
Yes you can. The monitor allows switching of input, so computer could be one... standalone DVD player could be another.

As for sound, you would connect the sound directly to your speakers. Of course if you're using a PC sound system, you'd have to swap cables between your DVD player and your computer (for instance) or find some other work arorund.

If you are using a Home theater setup, a receiver fits the bill nicely.

What about VCR connect through this monitor? Would it work without your PC? And I have a Logitech Z 5500, how would I hook these speakers up without my PC?
 
vat said:
What about VCR connect through this monitor? Would it work without your PC? And I have a Logitech Z 5500, how would I hook these speakers up without my PC?

i sucessfully completed what you are talking about. First of all, you'll need to hook up the VCR or DVD player to your monitor using composite or component cables (duh). Note: The picture will look much better if you play around with the onscreen display settings. Make *Sure* you set the image to "aspect" so that nothing is stretched out.

Next you simply make sure you have the correct input to the monitor selected via the buttons on the monitor.

As for sound, I just bought a composite -> RCA adapter from RadioShack. It split the left/right audio feeds from the composite from the VCR and joined them with the RCA cable (the kind of connector you have on headphones or a microphone, which is what my speakers used). You may have to get a different cable depending on what input your speakers have.

viola..
 
Back
Top