Dell 2405 FPW - Garbage for gaming ?

Randy2

[H]ard|Gawd
I am ready to put this thing up on the auction block. Screen tearing in any game. I have had it for over 6 months, and I think the bottom line is here that LCD's just don't make it in the gaming area, at least this one.

If I switch back to my Viewsonic 21 CRT, the games look awesome.

Any ideas ?

I have just ordered mine (well, a couple of days ago), so I HOPE that I've done the right thing, I also play quite a few games (though, I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer). However, from the MANY reviews I've ready - both here and other sites - there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that this thing rocks for games, too. So I guess you have something set up incorrectly. As the other HDer pointed out, check out the V-Sync.

I still have a Philips Brilliance 2010P 21" CRT. So, if it does turn out to be less than satisfactory, I will send it back. Although, I will be using the TFT for a myriad of other things besides gaming.

From my experience with 2405FPW so far, screen tearing is apparent only if your graphics card is not powerful enough or you don't turn vsync on. That's the reason why you feel better when you switch to your 21" viewsonic (which resolution requires much less GPU and CPU power for games)

For 3D PC games, like World of Warcraft, no screen tearing appears at all even on my 6600GT on 1920X1200 and has decent FPS, (because WoW is a more CPU dependent game) and absolutely no screen tearing at all. Screen tearing does appear when I play high-end games (Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2) at 1920X1200 and medium settings (virtually can't run in max settings), but that's what happened when I was using a 19" monitor with max res and all details turned to max. For a bit older but still high end 3D games like Half Life 2 and Counterstrike: Source the screen output just looks awesome and I see virtually no ghosting at all on most games.

XBOX360 works fine and looks awesome for those games which actually render the stuff in 720p or above (not rendering at low res like 480p and then upscale to the output resolution, which PGR3 and Ridge Racer 6 obviously do). Dead or Alive 4 on 1080i just looks awesome. Would keep it if I were you (and get a new graphics card I suppose).

Well,
that seems to work great !

BTW,
My system:

FX53
Asus SK8N
1GB Kingston HyperX
ATI X850XTPE
4 Drive RAID 0 - WD raptors on Promise SX150 controller

woahhh...this is the first complaint ive heard about the 2405 being sucky for games :(

i just ordered one...hope its worth it

My system is powerful but I still prefer running without vsync for maximum performance , I just run with a higher refresh rate to combat any screen tearing. (Im using a CRT tho). enabling Vsync causes performance drops in games that dont support Triple Buffering (doom 3 / cod 2 / fear / far cry and many others dont support it).

Rishy said:
woahhh...this is the first complaint ive heard about the 2405 being sucky for games :(

i just ordered one...hope its worth it

Me in the same boat...I wouldn't worry unduly. Wait and see what you thing when you crack it up. I'm expecting to get mine on Tuesday.

mines only coming sometime around NEXT Tuesday...

post your thoughts once you get yours :)

I got mine this weekend and it's awesome. Upgraded from a 2001FP. I have tried WC3 with widescreen hack and it works great. I think the colors are better than the 2001FP as well. It also takes some getting used to the wideness of it, I have to move my eyes around a lot.

Randy2 said:
I am ready to put this thing up on the auction block. Screen tearing in any game. I have had it for over 6 months, and I think the bottom line is here that LCD's just don't make it in the gaming area, at least this one.

If I switch back to my Viewsonic 21 CRT, the games look awesome.

Any ideas ?

Well for gaming IMHO I wouldnt go higher than a 2005fpw but even still to me its a bit of a hassle to find a hcak for every game to run widescreen. Its a nice monitor but I think I wouldnt mind trading mine for a 2001fp. So I could get just regular 1600x1200 res.

How do you enable Vsync? i got a 2405 and love it, just never heard of that

i just got my 2405 a few weeks ago. sooooooo nice, a little different from my 21" crt....but not bad AT ALL! its sooooooooooooooooo nice :) i dont think i would go back to a big crt after this.

as for the visual quality from my perspective, like i said its just straight out beautiful. im using it with a 3700+ san diego, 2 gb ram, 7800 GT. I've been playing FEAR, CoD2, BF2, all at 1920x1200 (i dont recall the aa or af settings ive been using)......all of which run smooth with no problems.

enable vsync ingame or you can set it to always be enabled via desktop properties ---> settings ----> advanced ----> your video card's settings tab

ehehehe, screen tearing has nothing at all to do with LCD technology. It's because the frame rate in the game is going quicker than the refresh rate of the monitor. You should be happy your PC can play @ 1920x1200 at faster than 60fps. Time to crank up your game settings

<--- can't stand V-sync. I'd rather turn up the game settings then have to live with automatic 30fps everytime it dips below 60

You go back to your radioactive fishbowl space heater if it makes you happy though

I wish games would have frame rate caps built into them so that we wouldn't have to resort to VSync to deal with tearing. VSync introduces the problem of only displaying 30FPS and 60FPS and nothing in between. Triple buffering causes mouse lag.

Isn't it possible to just limit the framerate of a game to 60FPS so that we don't have to deal with all these other side effects?

And how do consoles deal with this? They always run smooth and don't suffer from these problems.

PKFGimpy said:
I wish games would have frame rate caps built into them so that we wouldn't have to resort to VSync to deal with tearing. VSync introduces the problem of only displaying 30FPS and 60FPS and nothing in between. Triple buffering causes mouse lag.

Isn't it possible to just limit the framerate of a game to 60FPS so that we don't have to deal with all these other side effects?

And how do consoles deal with this? They always run smooth and don't suffer from these problems.

Most games dont' have a framerate limiter, some do but I don't know any off hand.

Consoles only pump out 640x480 resolutions up until the new HD resolutions come out. Consoles DO suffer lag, but it varies game to game, i've seen pleny of lag in console games.

Is it true that the human eye can't perceive above 24fps or something like that? I'm sure I read that somewhere...or does that not apply in gaming? :confused:

ras2a said:
Is it true that the human eye can't perceive above 24fps or something like that? I'm sure I read that somewhere...or does that not apply in gaming? :confused:

Wrong. The human eye is capable of perciving well beyond 100fps. How much that matters is strictly personal preference based.

No you can see much more than 24.... the number you hear most often is 60 but I for one can tell a difference all the way to about 90 due to the high sensitivity I play at.

IceWind said:
Wrong. The human eye is capable of perciving well beyond 100fps. How much that matters is strictly personal preference based.

I just knew my 'question' would demand a response of 'wrong' or 'incorrect'. I did only 'ask' the question, mate....I didn't state it as FACT? Hence the question mark and
:confused: ...I genuinely didn't know if it was true or not.

Oh well....thanks anyway, I guess :(

ras2a said:
I just knew my 'question' would demand a response of 'wrong' or 'incorrect'. I did only 'ask' the question, mate....I didn't state it as FACT? Hence the question mark and
:confused: ...I genuinely didn't know if it was true or not.

Oh well....thanks anyway, I guess :(

Huh? Generally when someone asks a question, they want the answer it be backed in in FACT's, not theory. So unless you deal with theory, the FACT behind my answer is YES. Humans retina's are well capable of determinng frame rate differences between 24-100fps. FACT: Peroid. Fineto. Done.

OBLIGITORY STATEMENT: Given the nature of these boards and its people, I will protect myself from flaming in stating that with that FACT comes PERSONAL preference and judgment. Meaning that some people could care less its if a 30fps or 100fps, as long as its relatively smooth. * movie real for example* In dynamic real time game playing however, that changes.

Tearing is much more noticable at 60Hz. Is SED or anything going to be able to do like a 100Hz?

Anyways, yeah tearing is not a LCD specific thing. But this leads to the bad rap. I can skip vsync on my CRT. I enable it on the 2405FPW.

I don't know why people spend so much attention on above the frame rate. I'm sure most of the tears people are experiencing are occuring with fps below the refresh rate. I'm sure not getting my tears in BF2 from exceeding 98Hz.

for those with the 2405....can you all tell me whats the height and width of the screen alone ?

tried googling..all give me the overall...inlucing the stand...i just want the screen size

TQ

texuspete00 said:
Tearing is much more noticable at 60Hz. Is SED or anything going to be able to do like a 100Hz?

Anyways, yeah tearing is not a LCD specific thing. But this leads to the bad rap. I can skip vsync on my CRT. I enable it on the 2405FPW.

I don't know why people spend so much attention on above the frame rate. I'm sure most of the tears people are experiencing are occuring with fps below the refresh rate. I'm sure not getting my tears in BF2 from exceeding 98Hz.

SED' uses same basic technology as CRT so refresh rates of over 100mhz are very likely but until floor dedicated models come out, its still unkown

IceWind said:
Huh? Generally when someone asks a question, they want the answer it be backed in in FACT's, not theory. So unless you deal with theory, the FACT behind my answer is YES. Humans retina's are well capable of determinng frame rate differences between 24-100fps. FACT: Peroid. Fineto. Done.

OBLIGITORY STATEMENT: Given the nature of these boards and its people, I will protect myself from flaming in stating that with that FACT comes PERSONAL preference and judgment. Meaning that some people could care less its if a 30fps or 100fps, as long as its relatively smooth. * movie real for example* In dynamic real time game playing however, that changes.

I know mate, I wasn't being 'funny' or anything. Your reply just came across as a little imperious, that's all. Sometimes it's hard to ascertain 'how' someone is saying something (no eye contact)...if you know what I mean? Anyway's, I really do appreciate the help you folk give - Hope you can you forgive this noob :)

Edit: Regarding 'scaling' on the Dell 2405: Is it possible to view lower resolutions - say: 1152x768 and 1280x1024 (my current favoured CRT res) to appear as they would on a regular CRT (i.e. not stretched out?) or will there alway's be stretching/bluriness when operating anything other than the native res?

thanks

Cheers

ras2a said:

i thought average was 60 fps

Human eye is 220FPS.

Man WTF are you talking about 2405 is not good for games? Dude i am one of the major gamers ever. And i never had any problem with my 2405.

Back