Dell 2400 + XP Home question

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
I aquired a Dell 2400, has a Intel P4 2.8Ghz processor which I think is more than enough to give to the gf for browsing the web ect. I cant turn it into a netflix media rig since I doubt the Intel 845GV can handle it even if I put in 2GB of ram.

So here's my question: The Side of the case has the windows cd key. Would I be able to install a normal copy of windows (non dell) using that key? Or can it only use the default dell windows install? This install is not registered to me but the computer is now mine was given to me.

I might just install Linux Mint on this thing if I can't just install the non dell version, I'd like to do a fresh install.

Thx

I have had no troubles activating those keys with a regular install disk. And why couldn't it run Netflix?

I ask because from what I have found you need:
To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

•Windows
•Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Vista or Windows 7
•Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 2 or higher
•1.2 GHz processor
•512 MB RAM
•Mac
•An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.8 or later
•Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 2 or higher
•1 GB RAM

And since the iPhone plays it quite nicely, I am assuming the desktop could handle it.

So here's my question: The Side of the case has the windows cd key. Would I be able to install a normal copy of windows (non dell) using that key? Or can it only use the default dell windows install? This install is not registered to me but the computer is now mine was given to me.
Normally it works if you use a OEM and/or System Builders edition of XP media to reinstall. I've encountered problems where the key won't take if you've integrated updates/sp's though.

What I would recommend to you is to use a program 'Windows Reactivator'. Run it, back up the activation, then reinstall. When you install XP, choose not to input the key. Once your at the desktop, copy Windows Reactivator and the back up files to the desktop. Reboot into safe mode and run the program. It will change to 'restore mode'.

An even better way is to just pay Dell the $15 to get an original restore disc and just use that. Dell should give you just a disc with the OS on it, or at least that's what I've experienced with Dell restore disc.

I have had no troubles activating those keys with a regular install disk. And why couldn't it run Netflix?

I'd imagine it would be choppy with than onboard graphics wouldn't it? I mean this thing doesn't have pci-e or agp slot

That should do netflix with no problem, I do it with a lower speced laptop and it works fine.

^^ +1

I wouldn't see why a P4 2.8GHz would have trouble with netflix.

If you did want h.264 acceleration though, you can pick up a 7200GS PCI or comparable ATI video card. I'm not seeing any for cheap on newegg right now. I know Fry's has them in store and online for pretty cheap occasionally.

Why do you need a "non-Dell" XP disk? There usually is little crapware with it, and it's easily removed.

Well...if a Pentium 2 can barely run a DVD (depending on your ram), then I would assume a Pentium 4 could run streamed video. If you want high def video, then by all means put a PCI card in it. They still sell those even though they are more expensive.

I don't have the dell XP cd just the cd key.
You can download a Dell XP Home CD iso "on the internet." There is no extra software included, just a few small noncritical files (~100kb) are created in the c:\dell folder. The key on the side of the computer may require an OEM installation CD, not a retail CD, not a volume license CD and not a technet CD.

If it's still the original image of XP installed by Dell, you can alt-F12 when the blue bar appears before the XP boot screen. That takes you to a Ghost-based restore program. You may even be able to burn a XP CD after restoring if that model had the option (Dell either sent the CD or gave a white/blue instruction card on how to create the CD).

maybe you guys can tell me, never owned a dell is the front flap thing in the front just odd modeling or does it open some how?

Back