• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell 2007WFP - is this normal?

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
163
Well I just received my Dell 2007WFP ... it's revision A01 and has no dead pixels, practically no gradient banding over DVI.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00939_resize.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00938_resize.jpg

Now, while this all sounds miraculous, there is something that stands out to me as unusual ... but since this is my first LCD i don't know if it's normal or not.

when i look directly at my 2007WFP on a solid black screen, it looks totally normal, as shown in the following picture:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00942_resize.jpg

now, when i start moving my head around even by the slightest bit, the black color starts to look like an orange glow. examine the following pics to see what i mean:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00943_resize.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00944_resize.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00945_resize.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/icetrey47/DSC00946_resize.jpg

on a normal desktop with colors galore, you don't really notice this, but it's pretty noticable on a solid black screen or in something like a dark game. is this an issue i should consider worth a replacement? these pictures don't really do it justice, the "glowing" is more or less what i would call extreme.
 
I think it looks fine, I dont have the on my LCD, but I dont have a 2007fpw and shimh says it normal so I think it's fine.
 
I can confirm, the purplish coloring seen best in this pic is normal for an S-IPS panel. While there's surely a menu to adjust the RGB levels for more accurate color calibration, the purple "glow" is a property of the S-IPS screen type and can't be changed. If it bothers you, the solution is not to view the screen from such extreme angles :p.
 
haha, yeah when i look straight at it it looks fine, but sometimes i reposition myself in my chair and it can be annoying. does the Apple Cinema 20" have this "trait" as well?
 
Like DanK and I mentioned, all S-IPS screens behave like this, including apple monitors of course. Based on my experience, I have not seen any type of LCD panel does even close to good in extreme cases (such as observing the panel displaying solid black from some extreme angle in a dark room)
 
my Dell 1707FP at work does not exhibit this behavior ... is that b/c it isn't an S-IPS panel? the method to bring up the service menu does not seem to work the same on this monitor as it does on the 2007WFP so i can't check the panel version.
 
Yeah, sadly it is the norm for the 2007's now. disappointing i'd say
 
Back
Top