• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell 2005FPW or Dell 2001FP???

Hypnotics

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
73
I have been doing research on both of these, and wide screen sounds really nice but i am worried about the support in games. And also i kind of like the idea of a 1600x1200 resolution in games. Anyone have any input on these??? And also i went to the mall the other day and saw a 2005FPW and the text on the start menu was messed up looking. Is this common???
 
the 2005FPW is by far better...once you go widescreen you cannot go back..

this monitor is just too good to describe especially when its hooked up with DVI. Also the 1680x1050 requires a little lower resolution so games would run a LITTLE bit better at this resolution than 1600x1200. Mine does not have the problem you describe...in fact mine has zero problems, no light bleeding or dead pixels either. get it...you wont be sorry
 
Ok thanks i have been kind of leaning toward the Wide Screen. Anyone else have issues with the 2005FPW??? Also has anyone looked at this Gateway 21" LCD at gateway.com?
It sure looks a lot like the Dell The only difference i am seeing is Dell has a Three year warenty compared to Gateways 1year, And Gateway's has a 1000:1 contrast ratio compared to Dells 600:1. Would this contrast ratio really make a big difference??
 
Depends what you do more of on your computer. If you watch more movies, go widescreen, if you watch 4:3 content and play games more, go with the 2001fp.

I have a 2001fp for my desktop, and a widescreen on my laptop. I much prefer the 4:3 resolution for a computer display, on the widescreen laptop there is just a lot of wasted space on the sides, having the extra vertical space on a 4:3 screen is much nicer for the majority of computer tasks.

Now, for a pure TV, I'll go widescreen all the time, since I don't mind stretching TV shows, and the majority of what I watch is in HD-WS anyway.

But for a monitor, the 2001 is nicer than the 2005.
 
i love my widescreen, gaming support is out there if you look. Widescreen support in games is right around the corner, it doesnt take much. (I sound way to much like the dual core f4nboys) Also there are many patches and hacks out there to get current games to widescreen ( http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ ) there is even a quake 2 patch.If you are interested in having more height for reading the web and stuff, just take the 2005FPW and rotate it and you will have more height that you will ever need. (a page and a half in word)
 
Where on the site do I get patches for the various games? I'm looking but it's not entirely obvious...

And I read in the FAQs that Punkbuster can freak out if your game is 'hacked' to run in widescreen...is this the case? I guess I'm referring to COD, specifically...
 
pistol222 said:
Where on the site do I get patches for the various games? I'm looking but it's not entirely obvious...

And I read in the FAQs that Punkbuster can freak out if your game is 'hacked' to run in widescreen...is this the case? I guess I'm referring to COD, specifically...

Most of what you do is just change the resolution in some kind of .ini file. There aren't really patches for the games - unless you're talking about the master resolution switcher - that's more of a utility.

In the Widescreen gaming forums section there is a Solutions sub forum where each game has a thread detailing how to run it in widescreen. Most of them just involve changing the resolution in an .ini file in the game folder; some games store the needed file in My Documents.

I don't know anything about the punkbuster issue, though - sorry. The only game I play online much anymore is UT2k4, and some Quake 4 - neither has any problems. though now that I think about it, Quake 4 uses Punkbuster and I don't have any problems online yet.
 
Dell has a Three year warenty compared to Gateways 1year, And Gateway's has a 1000:1 contrast ratio compared to Dells 600:1. Would this contrast ratio really make a big difference??

Yes it does on the contrast but Dells 3 year warranty cant be beat. I had a perfect 2005FPW it was just to small for me. Dell has fixed most of the problems or complaints that have been around this board.

I also had the Dell 2001fp its ok now was great in its day.
 
well the great thing about widescreen also is that i can fit two large webpages up at one time on my screen and never feel cramped on either page. That i think has been the best part of widescreen. The space on the side is never wasted. I can have MS word on one side and a web page on the other and never hadve to resize and minimize or whatever. Its really hard to beat a 20" widescreen unless its a bigger widescreen with greater resolution.
 
ok i guess i over exagerated when i said there are patches, there are patches for some but not alot, most are (like someone already said) ini changes. but thats just as good if not better than any patches. If you go into the "Master Games" list you will see that there are umpteen million games that have the "Playable in widescreen?" question already answered, most of them are good news.
 
Back
Top