Response Time (typical): 12ms grey-to-grey, 16ms black-to-white
Contrast Ratio: 600:1
Brightness (typical): 300cd/m2
Number of Colors: 16.7 million
Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle (typical): +/-90°
Inputs: Analog/Digital/S-Video/Composite
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.3" x 18.6" x 9"
Weight: 17.64 lb.

With a selling price of $799 (not counting the inevitable discounts)

meh... if i had to choose, id take the 2001fp... i like standard native reso's

Makes one wonder if it comes with the optional screen door effect the 2001FP did ;)

It has the same native resolution as the apple 20in

Does the 12ms gray to gray mean anything, or is it just another marketing scheme to lower the figures?
16ms back to white, is this the more important figure to look for from ghosting in games?

Can't wait to see if it suffers from the screen door effect

i wouldnt buy that screen based on res alone. sorry dell but a 20" widescreen is sort of stupid :( now if they made a 23" 1920x1200 w/ their famous discounts and somewhat questionable image quality for around $1200, they'd have my eye again (so to speak)

Yea, seriously. I'll stick with Samsung :)

Sidenote to BillR: Sig's incorrect. Terrorists want us to vote for Bush. There was a letter sent to a London newspaper (London Times maybe?) from a terrorist group that basically said "keep Bush in office because his idiocy helps with recruits."

Edit: sry, couldn't resist :) gimme a break, it's elec. day :)

That's a horribly ugly monitor. The native resolution doesn't help much, either.

Pixeleet, did you have to make a political comment? --;

i'd expect terrorists to support kerry more than bush b/c kerry is perceived to be too lax on terrorism. people know that bush is gonna fight it and fight it hard. at a minimum kerry is questionable.

Cheval said:
What is ugly about it ?

Styling, the speakers hanging on the bottom, the contrast of silver and black (monitor manufacturers: pick one color and stick with it.) It's an ugly-looking monitor.

firey-eyez said:
i'd expect terrorists to support kerry more than bush b/c kerry is perceived to be too lax on terrorism. people know that bush is gonna fight it and fight it hard. at a minimum kerry is questionable.

Lol, it would seem you too understand the situation that so many have missed ;)

Terpfen said:
Styling, the speakers hanging on the bottom, the contrast of silver and black (monitor manufacturers: pick one color and stick with it.) It's an ugly-looking monitor.

the speakers are optional so who cares about them.

I like the styling personally. I had the 2001FP and only returned it because of backlighting/pixel problems.

Not diggin the speakers. Wonder how color production is on this thing though.

At the rate LCD prices are dropping, it won't be long before Dell starts selling 23in LCDs.

What is wrong with the current 20in WS resolution?

Is it because it has less pixels than the 20in?

It would be nice if the soundbar was longer to fit the length of the panel. The stereo effect would be improved also.

ugh, why can't we have standard resolutions :( Makes no difference to me... I would not support Dell if the monitor was perfect anyway.

WickedWeasel said:
At the rate LCD prices are dropping, it won't be long before Dell starts selling 23in LCDs.

What is wrong with the current 20in WS resolution?

Is it because it has less pixels than the 20in?

It would be nice if the soundbar was longer to fit the length of the panel. The stereo effect would be improved also.

heh its bad because its not a standard resolution. it is an odd size so very few wallpapers can be found at its native res...also few games support widescreen to begin with but if your going widescreen you should go the whole 9 yards imo. that is, go for 1920x1200.

A 20” monitor is just plain cheaper to produce. As it is Dell sells more LCD then anyone single company and this will just keep that stat where it is. It will be affordable no matter how stupid the concept is.

on a side note, the 2001fp has went down to $640 on dell's site. i know that the 2001fp is a somewhat questionable monitor in terms of quality, but for that low of a price do you guys think its worth it?

firey-eyez said:
on a side note, the 2001fp has went down to $640 on dell's site. i know that the 2001fp is a somewhat questionable monitor in terms of quality, but for that low of a price do you guys think its worth it?

If you luck out and get a good one it is. When they work they don't look half bad at all

I've had no problems at all with my 2001FP. A great monitor for the price (I bought mine on sale about seven months ago for $749+tax)

As for the speakers, I understand they are an optional component, similar to the ones available for the 2001FP.

Response time 12ms grey-to-grey 16ms black-to-white?? How the hell is that possible.

As an example, the x800 resolutions are listed below

Monitor Resolution Hz
640x480 200
800x600 200
1024x768 200
1152x864 200
1280x1024 160
1600x1200 120
1920x1080* 16:9 120
1920x1200 100
1920x1440 90
2048x1536 85

(Strange, it doesn't have 1280x960 which my present voodoo card has.)

If the Native Resolution of 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz is not supported, will you have to play a game using only a portion of the screen by selecting 1280x1024 and have black bars on the sides with very thin black bars on the top and bottom?

Is there a way to force the native resolution by using a tweak?

you can force custom resolutions. i think if ATi were incabable of displaying that reso, no one would buy the monitors, and people who get ATi cards and that moniter from dell would be pissed.

Terpfen said:

Speakers are optional...you have to buy the Soundbar for $49 to get them.. so simply dont get them...then its an all black monitor with silver buttons. Hardly as stylish as the $1299 Apple 20" WS but at $799 its much cheaper and in all likelyhood based on the same panel.

re: Resolution....

The resolution isnt wacky... its a 16X10 resolution...just like the Apple 20"

If thats a wacky resolution what about the 23" LCD's at 1920X1200 is that wacky??

Pretty sooon 16X10 LCD's will be the norm and widescreen resolutions will be defacto so get used to it people.

More games will support it natively and its easier to read left to right than up and down.

according to this LINK this monitor already is available with the Dell Dimension XPS - LIST-D12XP7 for €1163.

TheGameguru said:
If thats a wacky resolution what about the 23" LCD's at 1920X1200 is that wacky??

Not really: after all, it's larger. :p

I just don't like the look and specs on the Dell--and I own their old E171FPb attached to a Dell XPS, so it's not like I'm a Dell hater here.

Pretty sooon 16X10 LCD's will be the norm and widescreen resolutions will be defacto so get used to it people.

More games will support it natively and its easier to read left to right than up and down.

Agreed, which is why I'm in the market for a widescreen LCD--well, sort of. My "The TV vs the monitor" thread goes into more detail on my little problem.

Roger said:
Response time 12ms grey-to-grey 16ms black-to-white?? How the hell is that possible.

Yup, now you’re starting to get it. If they really wanted to be honest, total cycle time, red to green to blue to gray to white to black would probably be .25 ms.

Strangely, the same number Samsung gives to all their high end monitors. The ones people seem to have little or no ghosting problems with. ;)

BillR said:
Yup, now you’re starting to get it. If they really wanted to be honest, total cycle time, red to green to blue to gray to white to black would probably be .25 ms.

Strangely, the same number Samsung gives to all their high end monitors. The ones people seem to have little or no ghosting problems with. ;)
But isn't the response time always lowest on black-to-white transitions and highest on grey-to-grey? Am I misinterpreting this or they are claiming that their monitor is faster on grey-to-grey transitions than on black-to-white transitions?

Back