Dell 1905FP question

Hey everyone, I've seen differing information about this monitor, and I was wondering if anyone knew for sure what was correct. Also, I'm looking for some opinions about this monitor. How does it play games, how sharp does it look, etc. I'm looking to upgrade from a KDS 17" rounded CRT monitor (crappy), and I'm hoping for a big improvement. Dells website says it has a .294mm dot pitch, and this seems like a lot to me coming from a CRT monitor. Also dells website says it has a 20ms response time, which also seems like a lot to me. I thought I've heard some people say that their 1905fp had a 8ms response time, but I dont really remember and I'm not sure if this can be correct. Basically I'm wondering if this would be a good investment of my money, or if I should just screw it and go with the 2005fpw, or maybe look at a CRT instead of an LCD. Thanks!

I think you meant LCD when talking about the dot pitch right? The dot pitch is fine and not a huge factor for LCD's. It would make a good gaming monitor, IF you get the 8ms P-MVA panel. There is no guarantee as far as I know.

It is a good monitor overall, but it is an even better deal with Dell coupons. I’ve heard people get the 1905FP for less than $300. So, wait around for a price drop, or coupn availability.

Well, I'm gonna buy one of the small busines outrageous deals right now, and I can trade up to the 1905fp from a 17" analog for only 130$, so I was mostly wondering if it would be worth it to do that, and if it would be decent for gaming. If I dont get the 8ms panel, then what happens? The monitor just isnt great?

And yes, I meant that I'm used to CRT's which have a dot pitch of like .24, and .294 seems like a lot compared to that

Yes, getting a 19" over a 17" would be worth it in my book. The dot pitch measurements differ even among different types of CRT's, so I'm betting it's going to be different for an LCD anyway. Don't go on that. The 1905FP is said to have very clear and sharp text quality.

The 20ms 1905FP is still a good monitor, but not the best for gaming. That's really all.

Don't worry about the dot pitch. With LCDs, it's a bit different compared to dot pitch on CRTs. However, if you get the 20ms version, I don't think you'll be happy if you play a lot of games. Image quality is very good on it and I believe it would be a major improvement over the CRT you have now but it may not be fast enough for you. The 8ms version should be OK for gaming but the problem is, it's almost impossible to know which version you will get until you open the box.

Contact Dell and ask them what panel they are using. :D

Or contact PC World, Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, or CNet and ask them to retest the 1905FP with the different panels.

I don't know much about LCD response times but...

I've seen a few people with those 8ms panels and most say it blurrs and ghosts like hell. Something about Dell not using the overdrive technology associated with that 8ms panel made it slower or something.

Now, I did own a 1905FP monitor myself with a 20ms panel, and I found it completely unnacceptable for gaming. It ghosts like mad, and once I tried to play a racing game, and the blurring made me sick to my stomach...and I wasn't the only one in the house it did that to.

I had a Dell E173FP before that with a 16ms response time, and it was way better for gaming.

The 1905 has a killer picture, but it sacrifices alot of response time to achieve it. If you can afford it, try to get the 2005FPW. From what I hear, it's a good bit better, and it does use a different kind of panel that is much more suited to motion intense games and DVDs. I'll be getting that soon myself, but I thought the 1905FP was completely horrible for gaming...and even some movies.

Back