Delidded 4970k + ThermalGrizzly Condactonaut

tchalikias

Weaksauce
So we're in the middle of a heatwave here in Greece (room temp at around 28 degrees), so I decided to go ahead and delid my trusty 4970k to see what the fuss is all about. I used the Rockit88 tool - delidding took me a minute. Great tool, highly recommended.

After cleaning the stock TIM and black glue, I proceeded with the scotch tape method in order to properly apply some Condactonaut liquid metal paste. That thing literally goes everywhere, and it's a pain to get off surfaces.

I also applied a very thin film on the IHS itself, as per the instructions.

I used Kryonaut paste for the IHS -> cooler interface. I have to say, the results are great. I run my 4970k in a Corsair Obsidian 250D, with a Noctua NH-L12 low profile cooler which is rated for 95w TDP. Everything is super cramped in the case, and my 4790k with stock TIM ran insanely hot. With all settings at stock, running linpack with avx resulted in throttling within minutes. I therefore had disabled my mobo's auto 4-core turbo function and also reduced voltages a little via the offset setting, just to be on the safe side. Of course, regular temps (gaming etc) never reached that high (around 70-75 degrees).

But: now I can run these insane stress tests all day, and the temps don't go above 80 degrees, without voltage offset and auto turbo enabled. However: Small FFTs on Prime with AVX (for example latest 28.1 version IIRC) still manages, after some time, to make my CPU hit Tjmax. I know that's an unrealistically high load and that I should use Prime 26.6, however I wanted to see if I could make this ITX machine keep temps in check with the ultimate stress test.

Needless to say, the case becomes insanely hot under such a test - the cooler itself is very uncomfortable to the touch, which means the liquid metal is doing it's job. I'm just amazed at how much heat this CPU produces under AVX loads. Does anyone know how much power the 4970k draws under such conditions, with all cores maxed out?

Back