Deleting Extra Windows XP Entries

Ok, I finally got all my problems sorted out and the comp is running strong and I got caught up on all my Windows Updates since I reinstalled XP. But the old entries are still there and when I turn my computer on there are 3 to choose from! I reformatted the other 2 copies were on but the menu is still there. I though it was 2 lines to delete in boot.ini but there seems to not be a boot.ini on my computer....does XP not have one or sis SP 1 and 2 move it? Help. These extra entries are driving me crazy.

Right-click My Computer (or windows-break), advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings, edit.

Take out the entries that you need from there. Keep in mind that this is editing the boot.ini so you should have one. It should be in the root directory of your boot drive.

This is all assuming that you aren't running some strange boot loader.

Cheers.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I'm pretty sure the last one is the one I want since it is on C: and not the other...also I need to change

to

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

right?

If the last one is the entry that you use to start windows, then that's the one that you need. You should be free to delete the other two entries if you want to.

The one listed under the default heading is the one that windows will choose first, or, in the case of multiple options, will highlight that one first (pretty sure about that). So, yes, you would change the default heading to match the entry that youare going to keep.

Here is a copy of my boot.ini to compare with:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos /noguioot /NoExecute=OptIn

Cheers.

ominslash said:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I'm pretty sure the last one is the one I want since it is on C: and not the other...also I need to change

to

right?

Which one do you pick when you boot? Remove the other 2 and change the default to whichever one you pick when you boot...

Back