Deleting a partition from a dual-boot system?

BlackHawk22

Limp Gawd
I am running windows vista, AND windows XP and I - I know this sounds unbelievable - have finally caught on to windows vista, and am 100% stable on it. Problem is, I only have 120 GB's of hard-drive space, and my 60GB vista partition is now full, whereas the other 60GB XP partition is not, and I don't use it anymore anways. Does anybody here have the slightest clue as to how I could delte the XP partition and add it to the Vista partition so I have more available space? I already did a little trick where I packed down the XP partition to 20GB so I freed up some space for a new logical volume to install stuff on and shortcut to on Vista's desktop, but - some software, like Might and Magic that came with my new 8800GTS - does not work unless installed on Steam, which only installs to the logical drive that your OS is on. Sounds confusing maybe, but it isnt really. Can someone give me advice?

GParted is free and should do what you want. You will still be able to boot to Vista when it's done.

Ive not found anything that can modify the active system partition.

That's why GParted will work. You aren't running it on an active system. It has a boot CD that's used to make changes. Gdisk and PartitionMagic could do this back in the day as well, from floppies.

GParted is a funny file that I cannot run because it is a .gz file - what the heck is that? How do I run/install it?

GParted is a funny file that I cannot run because it is a .gz file - what the heck is that? How do I run/install it?

Download the GParted Live cd, and burn the image using this, and boot from it...read the faq on the GParted page, there is a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's not difficult to use at all.

That's why GParted will work. You aren't running it on an active system. It has a boot CD that's used to make changes. Gdisk and PartitionMagic could do this back in the day as well, from floppies.

Just about any worthwhile partition management tool can be run from a boot CD or other boot media. They come with tools to create bootable CDs and such.

yeah partition magic, and acronis also come with bootable media, however gparted I think is the best because its free!!!

I did exactly that with partition magic, took a while to make the partition but removing the partition was pretty quick. and i didn't have to re install XP, pretty sweet.

Screwed up my computer using a poor quality free patition manager off a boot cd and had to reformat. All better now - and it only took me 4 hours to get EVERYTHING back up and running.

Back